U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM

112 posts, read 338,319 times

Advertisements

I came across this when looking into food the other day. It covers cats and dogs and probably ferrets and rabbits too. I just thought it was helpful to know why on each one. I was surprised to see Diamond manufactures so many foods.

What we DONT carry, and why

Quote:
What we DON'T carry, and why...
We do everything we can to avoid hidden ingredient sourcing from China, unsafe synthetic additives, scary preservatives, and other potentially harmful nasties. These are only OUR opinions, of course.

We don't carry any rawhide at all, period. We think it is just too dangerous, for several reasons. It can become caught in a dogs throat. It can become lodged in the digestive tract, requiring surgery. And even the brands that state "made in the US" are not a safe bet from Chinese sourcing - ANY TIME A COMPANY ASSEMBLES THE PRODUCT OR PACKAGES IT HERE IN THE U.S., THE LABEL CAN SAY MADE IN THE U.S., EVEN IF ALL THE PARTS COME FROM CHINA.

We also do not carry flexi-leads. There are too many horror stories of dogs being injured or strangled by these things, or needing to be reined in quickly only to have the human fumbling with the button and unable to remove the dog from harm's way. Flexi-leads scare us.

Artemis - a Diamond food, and we simply don't trust 'em.

Azmira - contains menadione in most recipes and will not divulge name of manufacturer.

Before Grain - this is a Merrick food, see their entry below.

b.f.f - although this is made by Weruva, it is not up to par with their classic line. First ingredient is always tuna, and there is such a thing as way too much tuna. Also contains both guar gum and carrageenan, just too much to overlook.

BilJac - primary ingredient is by-products. Ick. It gets worse, and also includes by product meal too.

Blue Buffalo - recalled too often

California Natural - see Natura foods below

Canidae/Felidae - manufactured by Diamond Food, recalled

Castor and Pollux - sold to Merrick, no longer trust quality

Cats in the Kitchen - again, made by Weruva but just not up to snuff in comparison to the classic line. We are not big fans of pouch food to begin with, and this one contains water as the first ingredient, followed by tuna regardless of flavor. Nope, not for us.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul - Diamond Food product, can't be trusted.

Dogswell treats - are manufactured in China, and although these treats have not had any problems that we can find, we are not willing to take the chance with Chinese sourcing.

Eagle Pack - contains high amounts of grain, fine for some animals but not for majority. Owned by Wellness, another strike.

Eukanuba - multiple recalls

Evangers - these guys are so bad the FDA prevented them from shipping across state lines for a period in 2009.

Evo - see Natura foods below

Go! - see Petcurean

Halo - will not disclose manufacturer

Hill’s Prescription Diets - multiple recalls, multiple red flag ingredients, too many fillers (corn), poor quality proteins (by-products), generally low quality food many animals refuse to eat.

Holistic Select - made by Wellness, see their entry below.

Iams - multiple recalls, contains by-products.

Innova - a reliable staple for years, this company has been sold to Procter and Gamble. They also were involved in the Natura class action suit (see bleow). Please ask us about alternatives.

Karma - see Natura foods below

Merrick - multiple recalls, unfortunately.

Mulligan Stew - recall history

Natura Foods (Evo, California Natural, Innova, etc) - sold to P&G, and also lost a class action suit re: the labeling of their products as containing human grade ingredients when in fact the sources were NOT human grade.

Natural Balance - manufactured by Diamond food, recalled

Nature’s Recipe - lamb digest, menadione

Nature's Variety - recall history

Now! - see Petcurean

Nutro - menadione, lesser quality proteins in most formulas, history of tummy upset

Petcurean - recalled in 2003

Planet Dog - although we'd love to love them, their Orbee Tuff bone and their Ribbon Ringo both got HIGH ratings for toxins on the HealthyStuff.org site. Yikes!

Royal Canin - low quality proteins, lots of fillers

Science Diet - too many recalls, too many red flag ingredients, too high in fillers (corn), low quality proteins (by-product), generally low quality food many animals won’t even eat.

Solid Gold - manufactured by Diamond food, recalled

Taste of the Wild - part of the Diamond Pet food recall in 2012 (and they lied to us too - said this food was not made in the same "facilities" as the other Diamond foods. "Facilities" is used loosely here, apparently, as they ARE made in the same plant).

Tiki-Pet - menadione (listed as vitamin k3, sneaky). Unresponsive to questions, shady supply sources. Menadione then replaced with kale, then both removed and formula declared complete without any vitamin K additive.

Wellness - has made too many dogs sick after the recipe changes several years ago. Some recalls. Manufactured by Diamond Food, and included in 2012 recall.

We are pretty hard to please, eh? How much easier does that make your life?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM

25,649 posts, read 25,551,546 times
Oh great. I just put in an order for dog food at Petco today. He did really well on Natural Balance and I don't understand what's wrong with it. by Diamond but what's wrong with Diamond?

I also have bought Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild and was pretty impressed with the ingredients and lack of junk fillers and chemical additives.

I can see Iams and Science Diet as they are true junk--read the labels.

Thank you for the interesting post and I hope someone else can shed some light on what is so bad about some of these brands other than what the article says.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM

112 posts, read 338,319 times
My cats like Taste of the Wild and also Fromm. They are just trying Wysong now.

Like you in_newengland, I don't really understand what is wrong with some of these. Reading over the past year there have been some intense discussions about the foods. At times I felt like an eejit for not knowing all these things (and I still don't know it all).

Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM

970 posts, read 2,109,435 times
So what food do they carry? Last time I checked practically every brand of pet food sources some of their nutrients from China, with the exception of Orijen. Even if they don't come directly from China, the nutrients usually come from Europe, and guess where they get them from? China. Write to any pet food company and see what they say.

Edit: I checked their list of "what we do carry." Wysong states on their company website that their ingredients are sourced from China. Weruva is made in a human grade plant....in Thailand according to their company website. Fromm is a little confusing. The company website says all of their ingredients are from the US, but there are several instances online of people contacting customer service and being told the vitamin pre-mix comes from Europe and/or China.

Last edited by passwithoutatrace; 03-24-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,350,470 times
Funny, yeah, I know that list although I haven't looked at it recently and I think they may have updated it some. That store is, well, not convenient to me but is in the local area and I have visited it once or twice. Great people, they really are selective about the stuff. Some of the things I know they do carry:

Weruva, Addiction (it's the only place I found it around here I think), Orijen/Acana, Primal, Honest Kitchen and a number of others.

In fact those are just what I remember from a few years ago; they do actually have the opposite list of what they do carry and some wording about them: What we carry

I might even go back there to see if I can try a few of the foods listed that I've never seen and in a few cases never heard of.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

18,249 posts, read 11,904,161 times
Yeah. Well, I think that every pet owner's gotta make their own decisions as to what their limits are and how far they will go.

From the bottom level of feeding your cat "enough of whatever" including dry food, because of whatever reason...

To those who have graduated to all wet but still can't afford anything fancy and just get a case of something from Walmart...

To those who do try to pay attention and at least avoid the wheat and corn filled varieties...

To those who read every label and put it back if the word "carrageenan" appears...

Finally anyone who gets TOO hardcore into this stuff winds up feeding raw that they make themselves, because you'll lose your mind otherwise.

I'm not quite there yet. Now I'll be the first to admit that some things concern me, and there are foods that I avoid. But out of the stuff I do feed the cat, it is a mix of different brands and types, and some of it does contain by products. Some of it has carageenan. Some of it contains meat from China. Some of it has peas and potatoes as filler, or even on occasion *gasp!* wheat gluten. I'm not prepared to add vitamin K (by any name) to my list of things to search labels for. I'm not going to make raw, and I'm not going to mail order...so whatever I find needs to be at my local Petsmart and/or Petco stores. I'll spend the money for decent stuff and feed no kibble. I am hoping, that with the variety of brands we give him, that any one particular problem ingredient will be given in moderation.

About recalls. In the "we don't carry" list was Nature's Variety, with a "history of recalls" cited as the reason. They didn't even mention that the rabbit comes from China, first off...and I know about this supposed "history." Years ago they had a malfunction at a plant that caused a small amount of plastic to get into a single batch of food. They found the problem themselves, pretty quickly, and issued a VOLUNTARY recall of any food that may have been tainted. You know, sometimes stuff happens. I like to at least know that a company will swiftly find and try to remedy some manufacturing mishap, as opposed to finding it much later and only because pets died and owners sued. No pets were reported as having suffered ill effects due to the NV food that was recalled, IIRC.

Honestly I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a perfect canned food out there for cats that can be readily found in typical stores. I think either you're going to spend a fortune special mail-ordering the stuff, or you're going to have to bite the bullet, buy a meat grinder, and go raw.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,893,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplkemc View Post
My cats like Taste of the Wild and also Fromm. They are just trying Wysong now.

Like you in_newengland, I don't really understand what is wrong with some of these. Reading over the past year there have been some intense discussions about the foods. At times I felt like an eejit for not knowing all these things (and I still don't know it all).
It's mostly about past recalls or transparency. This is a local store to me, and they are just very, very hardcore about their standards. Which is totally cool, but one shouldn't feel bad if they do feed something that this specific retail store doesn't choose to carry. They're just communicating to their customer base because they surely get a lot of people coming in and asking for this or that. You are feeding your cats high-quality foods, you shouldn't feel like you're doing something wrong.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah. Well, I think that every pet owner's gotta make their own decisions as to what their limits are and how far they will go.

Honestly I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a perfect canned food out there for cats that can be readily found in typical stores. I think either you're going to spend a fortune special mail-ordering the stuff, or you're going to have to bite the bullet, buy a meat grinder, and go raw.
Agree with your post, especially these part. I mean, supposedly a canned food can't possibly be perfect because only raw would be perfect. And those levels of where we reach. Many of us will reach a level somewhat short of making our own raw I suspect. Although actually today it was one of the food companies listed that they DO carry that made me think about trying it again (Wild Kitty which you mix with raw or cooked meat).

As far as what they decided not to carry, I mean, if you exclude everything with any recall ever I think that's probably going to bite you eventually. For example, I think they still carry The Honest Kitchen, and they just had a recall. But they are also pretty open and communicative as I understand it. I think Primal had a recall at one point too, and Bravo had one recently didn't they? I think recalls are only cited when there have been too many. But ultimately it comes down to what they, the owners, are personally comfortable with. Which may be more or even still less strict than your own standards. And that's fine. What's actually good is that they care enough to take things off the shelf that they don't agree with, rather than keeping them there.

Some things might be out of date as well. Cats in the Kitchen, for example, now also has cans, and they are not tuna in every variety like the pouches are/were. Some of their reasons look odd. Like if Petcurian is really only a recall in 2003, how does that apply 10 years on? Others they do carry have had recalls more recently so it's not quite a complete explanation at this point.

Closer to my house is another natural pet food shop. Their product mix is similar but I still see Petcurian products in there, and Tiki, and others. They are on top of recalls but I don't know if they are curating the product mix quite as strictly.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

18,249 posts, read 11,904,161 times
It also bears mentioning that occasionally when I happen to be making chicken for dinner, I will chop off some raw chunks and give it to him (cube-like chunks of raw meat.) The point of this is that supposedly gnawing into chunks of raw meat helps to clean the teeth--more than kibble supposedly does, but actually doesn't.

He thinks it's a real treat!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It also bears mentioning that occasionally when I happen to be making chicken for dinner, I will chop off some raw chunks and give it to him (cube-like chunks of raw meat.) The point of this is that supposedly gnawing into chunks of raw meat helps to clean the teeth--more than kibble supposedly does, but actually doesn't.
I've done that for my cat as I've been cooking a lot of chicken recently. Both raw and cooked I've tried. She's more like "WTF is this?" Won't eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats