U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM

15,116 posts, read 9,424,708 times

Advertisements

I thought I should have 2 boxes for Nimbus, if only because one on each floor of our house made sense to me. But within a few weeks I realized he was only using ONE as a potty box, and the other as a bed and hidey spot. He would lurk in it, flattened down, with only his little eyeballs peeking up over the edge, and then pounce on us, of course scattering litter all over the place. At least it was CLEAN litter since he never "went" in that box.

So I figured it made sense to listen to the cat's messages about what he wanted and needed. I replaced the downstairs litterbox with a cardboard "lurking box," a little kitty-cave cat furniture thing, and a blanket bed in that corner.

I only scoop once a day, but I only have one cat. It does seem to be enough.

Of course if he ever gets sick, or when he gets old, or if we get another cat, I am prepared to adjust the litterbox arrangements as necessary.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,020,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My vet insists the rule is always 1 box per cat plus one. But having 4 boxes for my 3 cats does not help during a cold snap when they have no intention of walking across the cold basement floor to do their business. Then they head for the living-room floor and let go.
Why are all the boxes in the basement? You're supposed to have one on each floor. Older arthritic cats can have a hard time with staircases. Others get the urge and can't hold it long enough to negotiate a staircase.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I thought I should have 2 boxes for Nimbus, if only because one on each floor of our house made sense to me. But within a few weeks I realized he was only using ONE as a potty box, and the other as a bed and hidey spot. He would lurk in it, flattened down, with only his little eyeballs peeking up over the edge, and then pounce on us, of course scattering litter all over the place. At least it was CLEAN litter since he never "went" in that box.
That's funny! My cats simply abandoned these extra totes. They didn't go near them. We did the usual thing of trying different brands of little.... but that did nothing.

Quote:
So I figured it made sense to listen to the cat's messages about what he wanted and needed. I replaced the downstairs litterbox with a cardboard "lurking box," a little kitty-cave cat furniture thing, and a blanket bed in that corner.

I only scoop once a day, but I only have one cat. It does seem to be enough.
And he's probably perfectly happy with the situation.

Quote:
Of course if he ever gets sick, or when he gets old, or if we get another cat, I am prepared to adjust the litterbox arrangements as necessary.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have 8 or 9 boxes scattered throughout the house/screened porch (or maybe it's 10 or 11 -- I haven't counted in awhile!). The screened porch is closed for the winter so I guess it doesn't count! ........
We don't know why the cats are down to using only 2 litterboxes. Initially they were all were scooped at the same time and all had the same litter. All at one time were being used. It was a gradual process. They simply picked their two favorites and abandoned the rest.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I have 3 cats, and one litter box. I put the litter box in my bath tub. They love the privacy, the dog can't get at the box, and if there are any out of box incidents, it's cleaned up quickly. I clean the box twice per day, once when I get up, once in the evening, and there is no smell. All of my cats are spayed/neutered.
The clumping litters today are great. As long as the boxes are scooped regularly and the cats neutered, there is no odor at all. We use Unscented Fresh Step.

In the RV I scoop 3 times a day or more if needed as the litter totes are a bit smaller than in our house. But even there they favor one box - the one in the shower rather than the slightly larger one in the bedroom. We find that odd since the one in the bedroom is slightly larger and they have more privacy.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 14,680,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Why are all the boxes in the basement? You're supposed to have one on each floor. Older arthritic cats can have a hard time with staircases. Others get the urge and can't hold it long enough to negotiate a staircase.
A box can be brought up when that happens.

I live in a second floor apartment but have an inside staircase that leads down to my door (entry) and small utility area. That is where all the litter boxes are, I built a platform in the corner behind the water heater.

There is no litter box upstairs in my living space, with the exception of when I have a senior cat or sick cat or a new cat being integrated. That has happened a few times.

When my precious angel girly got old and arthritic I set up a littler box for her in my bathroom. She began using it immediately. None of the other cats used it, they knew it was hers, though The Litter Box Police cat was very upset about that litter box, for the three years it was there.

When Little Cat came along she was so tiny, even after she was integrated I left her litter box up here in my bedroom, in the crate she lived in, so she could have quick access, however on her second day of free roaming the house she discovered the stairs. I followed her down of course to make sure she didn't get hurt, so I was privileged to observe her discovery of the "Big Cat" litter boxes.

You never saw such excitement!!! She jumped up on the platform, walked through them all, turned to see me watching. She jumped down, ran to me saying brrrp brrp brrrrrp! and pawed at my leg, then ran back to the litter boxes.. I knew exactly what she was saying. Mom, look! LOOKIT mom!! There's a BATHROOM down here, look mom, look a BATHROOM!! She never used her baby box upstairs again, so I put it away.

When my boy who had cancer got too swollen to take the stairs any more I put a box in my bathroom for him (much to The Litter Box Police's dismay) but he couldn't adjust to using it, even if I tried to put him in it. He still wanted to go downstairs, so, while I left the bathroom box there until he left us, just in case, I simply carried him up and down the stairs to the litter boxes, several times a day.

When he left us I put it away, again much to The Litter Box Police's relief.

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-08-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,650 times
I started out with the # of cats plus one more rule...My two cats only want to use the same two litter boxes, so that's what they have now. I've heard it's best if you have a multiple level house to put one on the upstairs and one on the downstairs to keep both areas "covered" esp. if the cat is elderly and can't "make it" to go downstairs, for instance.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 AM

19,735 posts, read 13,482,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The clumping litters today are great. As long as the boxes are scooped regularly and the cats neutered, there is no odor at all. We use Unscented Fresh Step.

In the RV I scoop 3 times a day or more if needed as the litter totes are a bit smaller than in our house. But even there they favor one box - the one in the shower rather than the slightly larger one in the bedroom. We find that odd since the one in the bedroom is slightly larger and they have more privacy.

I use the Worlds Greatest Cat Litter clumping litter. It's made out of corn. It clumps nicely, it has no smell, and my cats love it. Better still, it's flushable.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I use the Worlds Greatest Cat Litter clumping litter. It's made out of corn. It clumps nicely, it has no smell, and my cats love it. Better still, it's flushable.
At home we have a septic tank so can't flush litter. In the RV we have a holding tank so can't flush litter there either. If you're on a septic tank you may want to rethink flushing litter.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
A box can be brought up when that happens. .........

I live in a second floor apartment but have an inside staircase that leads down to my door (entry) and small utility area. That is where all the litter boxes are, I built a platform in the corner behind the water heater.
Young healthy cats can easily negotiate stairs as you know. My concern would be those rare times a young healthy cat may have loose bowels. Some older cats, maybe not arthritic, may, like some older humans, have a little difficulty holding it to get down or up a staircase. It's whatever works for the cats and their owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats