Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why seafood? I don't recommend feeding fish to cats. Except a sardine once or twice a week, for the omega 3 and vitamin D.
I was hoping to find something OTHER than fish, like squid or whatever that may not contain the mercury suspected in most fish. Fish I can buy anywhere. They get very little fish.

I was able to get bags of mixed seafood (no fish) at the old Asian place and they loved it raw. Is all seafood unclean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
You know what, I don't really know. I don't know of anyone who feeds raw seafood or raw fish to cats, and I won't, myself, ever. If you look into it I'd love it if you'd share what you learn, I'd be interested in what you find out.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You know what, I don't really know. I don't know of anyone who feeds raw seafood or raw fish to cats, and I won't, myself, ever. If you look into it I'd love it if you'd share what you learn, I'd be interested in what you find out.

Later tonight I'll do some research on it. What I used to get was a mix of clams, squid, octopus, oysters, and other creepy crawly sea creatures.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM

12,155 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You are not the only one who thought that when they saw the thread title!
\

Ha ha! I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Later tonight I'll do some research on it. What I used to get was a mix of clams, squid, octopus, oysters, and other creepy crawly sea creatures.
I would hesitate to feed clams, oysters, or other filter feeders raw unless you know EXACTLY where they came from (including what time of year they were harvested) and what the water conditions were like. If the water is polluted they are filtering all that pollution into their bodies.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I would hesitate to feed clams, oysters, or other filter feeders raw unless you know EXACTLY where they came from (including what time of year they were harvested) and what the water conditions were like. If the water is polluted they are filtering all that pollution into their bodies.
The research I did claims they're cleaner than fish where pollutants are concerned. And these would be meant for human consumption, not animal consumption. The only warning was about raw mussels. There is no way to ever be sure where anything comes from you find in the grocery stores.

The information you mention would be impossible to get unless the seafood was bought from the person who actually owns the boat and caught it themselves.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Quote:
The research I did claims they're cleaner than fish where pollutants are concerned. And these would be meant for human consumption, not animal consumption. The only warning was about raw mussels. There is no way to ever be sure where anything comes from you find in the grocery stores.

The information you mention would be impossible to get unless the seafood was bought from the person who actually owns the boat and caught it themselves.
I guess I'm used to the stores in our area. Usually they list where seafood comes from and how it was harvested.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
I was hoping to find something OTHER than fish, like squid or whatever that may not contain the mercury suspected in most fish. Fish I can buy anywhere. They get very little fish.

I was able to get bags of mixed seafood (no fish) at the old Asian place and they loved it raw. Is all seafood unclean?
Mercury and such isn't the only reason why fish shouldn't be the primary diet for a cat. It's not as nutritionally balanced, actively destroys vitamin B1 in the body and causes a deficiency that can make them severely ill or even kill them, and it's not their natural diet. The African wildcat, a desert creature, primarily eats mice, rabbits, birds, and small mammals, not fish, and the domestic cat has existed for thousands of years mainly as a vermin killer. Fish are just so different.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I guess I'm used to the stores in our area. Usually they list where seafood comes from and how it was harvested.
I've never seen that here. I buy Tilapia for myself and the cats get some. All it says on the bag they come in is they're farm raised but not where. All it said on the package of Perch I bought last time was wild caught, but not where.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Mercury and such isn't the only reason why fish shouldn't be the primary diet for a cat. It's not as nutritionally balanced, actively destroys vitamin B1 in the body and causes a deficiency that can make them severely ill or even kill them, and it's not their natural diet.
Here I agree, that's why I wanted other shellfish, seafood other than fish, as already mentioned. Any raw "fish" they get is mixed with raw meat or their canned food.

Quote:
The African wildcat, a desert creature, primarily eats mice, rabbits, birds, and small mammals, not fish, and the domestic cat has existed for thousands of years mainly as a vermin killer. Fish are just so different.
Agreed! But they sure loved that bag of mixed seafood (no fish) I used to get at the old Asian place. Like kibble, it was a real treat for them. The cat treats are so outrageously expensive I use kibble as their midnight snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats