Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 04:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie13 View Post
For those of you who wonder how my declawed cat is doing a year later ... the answer is quite fine. She is as psychotic as ever. Thought I'd mention we recently lost our beloved Devon Rex at 12 years of age. He was not declawed as he was well over a year old when we realized that we could not keep him from scratching the furniture. Don't tell me that I should have trained the cat to use his scratch posts ... I trained him to pee in a toilet rather than using the litter box but he simply loved scratching fabric. We tried every gadget out there from sprays to electric shock pads by the couch to sticky plastic and aluminum foil. We had 4 scratch posts in the house. We ended up subjecting him to soft paws which he loathed and he spent many hours trying to bite and pull those things off his nails. Being a Devon Rex he was quite oily and the excess oils would get caught between the soft paws and his cuticles causing infections. Yes we replaced the soft paws on a regular basis which in itself proved to be a painful experience for him. Even the most careful pulling and cutting off of the soft paws was obviously causing him pain.

Our almost 3 year old kitty is healthy, happy and we do not worry about scratched furniture. And yes, she is also toilet trained.

Our 3-year old cat is healthy, happy, NOT psychotic, and we don't worry about scratched furniture, either. And he's not declawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Please have your cat's paws x rayed yearly to check for regrowth, bone chips, and other complications. Also have her spine and legs regularly x rayed for arthritis. these are common complications that show up along the way. Declawing doesn't only affect the cat at the time of the surgery it affects the cat for a life time. A life time of pain.

Toilet training is also likely to lead to early arthritis, your cat is going to have a very painful life in her middle years.

Declawed and "toilet trained" why on earth do you bother to have a cat at all, since you obviously can't allow her to be a cat. Next time get a stuffed animal.
^This exactly^. If a person truly loves a cat for who and what they are, they wouldn't require the cat to be modified and re-programmed to be able to live in their home.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I've a cat I took responsibility for a year ago.
He is now 2 years old.
He was 'fixed' before I got him.
He was never declawed. He is usually REALLY good about not scratching furniture or things he shouldn't.

Until Saturday morning. I left my closet open a crack, and he is a curious fellow, and loves the closet for some reason. I have noticed a jersey of mine on the ground a time or two over the year, assuming it would fall off as he walked through the closet. these jerseys were on the lower level hanger pole in the closet.
As i was cleaning around the house on Saturday, I noticed four of my jerseys on the ground. Turns out kitty cat decided to kneed and use my four jerseys in excess of $500 for his nap time bed.
Basically, due to the jersey material, they have more snags than I can imagine, and are basically ruined.

I was against declawing him, as I feel it is cruel, and unnecessary.
But, I chose to not afford for him to destroy any farther clothing/furniture should it happen again.

Anyone have their cat front claws declawed lately? How much is a realistic current price?
I can obviously call some vets, but I was curious if anyone recently paid for a declaw only on a 2 year cat, and also if anyone has any thoughts about declawing an indoor 2 year old cat.
Noooo dont declaw your cat its like cutting off your finger at the joint under your finger nail. just trim his nails and he wont be able to rip clothes or try soft paws glue on nail caps that make the claws dull..

Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFootThree View Post
Noooo dont declaw your cat its like cutting off your finger at the joint under your finger nail. just trim his nails and he wont be able to rip clothes or try soft paws glue on nail caps that make the claws dull..
This is an old thread that was updated... but no matter. It's always good to have another voice against declawing. Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
adding to an old thread----soft paws are just THE best!!!! I think my cats imagine they look lovely with them on. But seriously they don't mess with them and I see no way they could cause the cats any pain.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
The point is that cats normally walk putting pressure more on their toes than their foot. We do to a much lesser extent, but you can imagine that if the top of all your toes were removed at the first joint, it would make you walk unnaturally. If it wasn't painful at first (I think it would be, but let's assume it's not) years of walking differently than you were designed to do could play havoc with joints in your legs, and with your spine as well.
And anyone who's watched the obvious pleasure of a cat sharpening its claws and getting a good body stretch by hanging onto something with its front claws can see that is an instinctive behavior that's very beneficial to them physically and mentally.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Declawing doesn't only affect the cat at the time of the surgery it affects the cat for a life time. A life time of pain.

Toilet training is also likely to lead to early arthritis, your cat is going to have a very painful life in her middle years.

Declawed and "toilet trained" why on earth do you bother to have a cat at all, since you obviously can't allow her to be a cat. Next time get a stuffed animal.
or a fish. But then don't come back asking how much gill removal surgery costs.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
People who declaw cats remind me of dog owners who use those electric shock collars to keep their dogs from barking. Neither deserve the joy of a companion animal.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:33 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Over the years, we have had two cats that were declawed.
One was strictly an indoor cat, although she did occasionally escape to the outside. She often climbed the weeping willow tree that was in the backyard, and frequently caught field mice and voles. She lived to be about 15, and never showed any sign of discomfort or pain in her feet.
When we bought our current house, the cat owned by the previous homeowners could not be caught. In fact, he disappeared, to return weeks after they left. He would not come in the house for over 10 years, so we fed him outside, and built an insulated cat house for him. Last spring, he got sick, so we took him to the vet and had him clipped (his fur was extremely matted), a tooth removed, and a tumor removed from his throat (non-cancerous). He is doing fine now. The former owners had him declawed. He, too, shows no discomfort or pain, and he lived outside in temperatures ranging from 30 below zero to 100+ above for over ten years! He, too, used to climb the weeping willow tree.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Over the years, we have had two cats that were declawed.
One was strictly an indoor cat, although she did occasionally escape to the outside. She often climbed the weeping willow tree that was in the backyard, and frequently caught field mice and voles. She lived to be about 15, and never showed any sign of discomfort or pain in her feet.
When we bought our current house, the cat owned by the previous homeowners could not be caught. In fact, he disappeared, to return weeks after they left. He would not come in the house for over 10 years, so we fed him outside, and built an insulated cat house for him. Last spring, he got sick, so we took him to the vet and had him clipped (his fur was extremely matted), a tooth removed, and a tumor removed from his throat (non-cancerous). He is doing fine now. The former owners had him declawed. He, too, shows no discomfort or pain, and he lived outside in temperatures ranging from 30 below zero to 100+ above for over ten years! He, too, used to climb the weeping willow tree.
Posts like this make me so sad. You have NO idea if he's in pain because he can't tell you. And why sound so proud that he lived in such extreme temperatures? I bet if he could talk, you'd get an earful. Just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats