Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times

Advertisements

I've a cat I took responsibility for a year ago.
He is now 2 years old.
He was 'fixed' before I got him.
He was never declawed. He is usually REALLY good about not scratching furniture or things he shouldn't.

Until Saturday morning. I left my closet open a crack, and he is a curious fellow, and loves the closet for some reason. I have noticed a jersey of mine on the ground a time or two over the year, assuming it would fall off as he walked through the closet. these jerseys were on the lower level hanger pole in the closet.
As i was cleaning around the house on Saturday, I noticed four of my jerseys on the ground. Turns out kitty cat decided to kneed and use my four jerseys in excess of $500 for his nap time bed.
Basically, due to the jersey material, they have more snags than I can imagine, and are basically ruined.

I was against declawing him, as I feel it is cruel, and unnecessary.
But, I chose to not afford for him to destroy any farther clothing/furniture should it happen again.

Anyone have their cat front claws declawed lately? How much is a realistic current price?
I can obviously call some vets, but I was curious if anyone recently paid for a declaw only on a 2 year cat, and also if anyone has any thoughts about declawing an indoor 2 year old cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I suggest you call veterinarians in your area for quotes. As vet fees vary, and some jurisdictions have laws against declawing cats.

The opinions of many on this board will be against declawing a cat, and may suggest training interventions.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Aside from going to a bookstore and thumbing through 20 books to find a good training book. Does anyone have a suggestion for a book?

Like I said, he is usually really good about not scratching things, as he has multiple beds, and a couple scratching poles/things.

But the kneeding of a 'bed' is something I thought was instinctual, and I don't want him doin that on my brand new furniture.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Does he have a big tall cat tree? If not, buy him one. Spray the verticals of it with catnip spray. Take him over to it, and take his 2 front paws and work them on that cat tree in a scratching motion. Occasionally, go over to it and scratch on it with your own nails. With any luck the status of having high perch, plus the catnip spray, plus you showing him it's the best place to scratch will make him sleep there and scratch the posts of it.

My cats really liked the half-round trays or the flat boards with carpet, for places to sleep. The half rounds are half of a "Sono Tube" concrete pouring form, covered with carpet.

Just be sure to get a full-sized unit. Most of what I see in stores have small shelves and small round beds, and are kitten size, not full-size adult cat. (going to go look for a pic of the one my cats loved...brb)

It was like this, except the trays were bigger and so was the tunnel. The lower tray was also oriented the same as the topmost. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...847&pcatid=847

My boss cat usually occupied the top tray. Occasionally, cat #2 would be in the tunnel. Nobody wanted the bottom tray, so I piled all of their cat toys in it and used it as storage.

Once they got their own "furniture," it was taller so thus had more status than my furniture. They occupied their own furniture and left mine the heck alone.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
If he's usually really good about not scratching the furniture, why declaw him at all? Just make sure your closet door is firmly closed. Get a new latch, if need be. Why subject this poor beast to cruel and unusual punishment?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Watch this:

On Declawing - YouTube

If you want to skip some of the endorsements of informative websites, and get to the facts, go right to 2:20.

Declawing is cruel. Don't do it.

Put your very valuable jerseys away. Get a hanging cover that zips up, or put them in a box, or in a closet with a CLOSED DOOR. I don't want cat hair on my black clothes, so I keep the closet door shut. Mutilating a living thing to save the condition of your stuff is not cool. If your stuff means more to you than the cat, find the cat a better home. You've got a right to love your stuff. The cat has a right to not have its fingertips cut off. It's illegal in many countries.

Best wishes to you and the cat, I sincerely hope you find a better solution that works well for both of you.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
please do not declaw your cat. We have two 17 lb Ragdolls who have never been declawed and they haven't ruined any furniture at all. We bought them several scratching posts and towers and they limit their activities to those. This weekend my husband re roped the scratching post for the second time in 11 years. Some will say not to use water spray but that is how I kept our cats off the furniture. I would redirect them to their own furniture and they have been very goods. Again. please don't declaw your cat. it is painful, deforming and cruel and there are other ways to handle the situation.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Do you trim his nails regularly? If he is ripping stuff up just by kneading it, chances are his claws are too long and in need of a trim.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
I wouldn't do it. My cat is declawed, and I don't know why, he came that way. I adopted him at 6 years old. I don't see where he walks like he is in pain, etc, but I do not know what he walked like before he had it done.

Since he does not scratch up your furniture, just as others have said, I think I would just make sure my closet door were all the way closed.

Sounds like he likes the feel of that jersey fabric. My cat does too. He likes a silky feeling item over anything else. Give him something that is his that feels that way!

From not on, keep those jerseys up high, just in case the closet door accidentally gets left open a little. I do not see where this is a behavioral issue at all.

Spare your kitty his finger tips, please.... =)

Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Close your closet door, pick up your clothes and buy your cat something to scratch. If you can afford to buy 4 jerseys for $500, you can surely afford something for you cat to scratch and play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats