U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 AM

16,489 posts, read 23,273,117 times

Advertisements

I had a Silver Chinchilla male Persian that I bought at 4 mos. old. The people that owned him had taught him how to fetch. He had a white furry face and would onlu fetch on thing, which was a white puff of fur toy. With that in his mouth she looked so funny because you could not see his mouth or nose, just a furry face with eyes.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 04-20-2013 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

805 posts, read 1,109,362 times
I appreciate all your stories. I guess playing fetch with only certain toys may be relatively common behavior amongst cats.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,346,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Wow---I wish my cat would play fetch! But she definitely has a color preference when playing with balls. We got her a package of purple, green, yellow, and hot pink balls, and she goes for the purple every time.

Scientists do say cats see some colors:

CCMR - Ask A Scientist!
Well you know, I have had cats all my life and as far as I can recall, the one I have now is the only one who has ever done this (played fetch, I mean). I don't know how common it is. The other two (we have 3 total) don't and they just look at her when she is running wildly around after a milk ring.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM

17,307 posts, read 11,330,143 times
With regards to the animals seeing colors thing:

a.) I love lazer-eyes pics of cats, find them funny for some reason. Nimbus' eyes always look glowy green in these pics.

b.) On another interesting note, I read somewhere that Mantis Shrimp have more cone receptors in their eyes than people and can see colors that don't even exist for us. Believe I read that butterflies do, too. Interesting!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 744 times
Unusual as cats only see blues and yellows in colour. All the other colours are seen as grey and off white!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:45 PM

9,456 posts, read 11,281,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Wow---I wish my cat would play fetch! But she definitely has a color preference when playing with balls. We got her a package of purple, green, yellow, and hot pink balls, and she goes for the purple every time.

Scientists do say cats see some colors:

CCMR - Ask A Scientist!

This is amazing! My cat Mocha always has done the same thing. The 4 pack of "pom pom" balls. I would have to buy out the store of all of them to get multiple purple ones, because that is all she would play with. I called them her "purpees" (a word that she knew).

Sadly Moe is going to the rainbow bridge tonight after a wonderful long life of 19 years and 2 months. Here is a picture I took of her a few weeks ago with one of her purpees.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,194,086 times
Doesn't matter what color......if they can pick it up with their paws and/or mouth.....they play with it. They garbage dive for white q-tips. Have all colors of the rainbow for foam balls and catnip mice.... and rabbits' feet. My brown and beige hot curlers....my pink toothbursh......my yellow comb.. my blue hair brush (which is still missing after a week looking for it)...silver lipsticks.......gold lipsticks........pens....pencils.....and even the darn nut cracker.......

Everything is a toy regardless of color.

All five play fetch....though not with each other.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,113,887 times
Sounds like shape and texture rather than color makes the biggest impact for your household ocngypz! I'm guessing that if you're missing a curler, lipstick, pens, etc. you first look under the frig, bureaus, beds, etc. ... curiosity where the hairbrush may be :-0

Interesting this topic of color ... I was recently researching the subject to come up with the best color to paint a slide gate for a semi-blind tiger so that he could see it - currently the gate is black. At the moment the research says that cats see purple the best (or blue-voilet and indigo) followed by blue then green then yellow a little bit. They see red, but red and orange and brown look about the same to them, and they don't see red-orange-brown as well as they see purple ... which is confusing to me since purple is made of red and blue.

Truthfully I take scientific research with a grain of salt since it has to be based on the human experience (knowledge about how our rods and cones signal our brains) and not on an actual conversation with a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats