Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,318 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have a cat that plays fetch? I used to have a cat that would play fetch but only with certain color toys, which I thought was unusual. There were two bell ball toys that were exactly the same except one was green and the other was yellow. My cat would only play fetch with the green ball and not the yellow one. Anyone have a similar experience with a cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i have taught a cat to fetch but i was unaware of color preference.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I had a cat, Mickey, he was crazy about playing fetch. He would fetch pom pom balls. But only cotton ones. He liked white ones. He carried them around in his mouth, put them in his food and water dishes. Threw them on me at night, I would routinely wake up with several pom poms on the bed.

This was back when tennis socks had poms on them, he chewed them off for toys. He would put balls in front of me, and stare. Guilt tripping me into playing.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Yes. My Bridge Angel Boy liked his Pink Fur Mouse. If the Pink Fur Mouse was missing, he might make do with one of the others, but it wasn't the same. He played fetch with me and those Pink Fur Mice all his life with me. When one fell apart I would give him a new one. Given a choice, he always took the pink one.

My Little Cat has her Furryballs. She prefers the white one and the purple one. She doens't play fetch with them, but plays her own retriever games with them. She will play with the other colors if the white or purple are missing, but white and purple are the favorite.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM

20,367 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Nimbus does not play fetch. But he might seize a toy we've been playing with, or one he finds someplace, and carry it downstairs to hide it in his "lair."

He loves those cat fishing wand things, but he always breaks them. Chews the string off or chews it in half. I have 2 that I need to re-string for him...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Something kind of similiar--my calico knew the names of the 2 different colored mice. One was "Frieda," and the other "Sylvester." I named them, one was grey and the other white. I would tell her to go to "Frieda," and she'd go! Same w/ the other one. I did it over and over to make sure I wasn't crazy myself. She was incredibly bright, learned it in 1 day of telling her the names!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM

12,203 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Cats are predators and all predators can see red, the color of blood! lol It's true.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
My Mika goes absolutely NUTS for the "milk rings" as we call them -- that little plastic semi-circle that you have when you open a gallon of milk. She does prefer the green ones though, and red, and will ignore white or yellow. She'll go absolutely crazy for the green ones over all else. She fetches them, carries them around, brings them to you, and cries frantically if you pick one up when she is watching.

The other 2 cats couldn't care less and look at her like she's insane (well, she kind of is)...

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
My Mika goes absolutely NUTS for the "milk rings" as we call them -- that little plastic semi-circle that you have when you open a gallon of milk. She does prefer the green ones though, and red, and will ignore white or yellow. She'll go absolutely crazy for the green ones over all else. She fetches them, carries them around, brings them to you, and cries frantically if you pick one up when she is watching.

The other 2 cats couldn't care less and look at her like she's insane (well, she kind of is)...
My Little Cat likes the blue rings best. But she's lost them all and I don't buy the product that came with blue ones any more, so she has to make do with yellow (prune juice) and white (cranberry juice).

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Wow---I wish my cat would play fetch! But she definitely has a color preference when playing with balls. We got her a package of purple, green, yellow, and hot pink balls, and she goes for the purple every time.

Scientists do say cats see some colors:

CCMR - Ask A Scientist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats