Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

I hope you'll all read this amazing story, and watch the video. This brave young San Diego woman took off in the dark after the coyote that had snatched her cat from her own patio, chased him down, and saved the kitty! The cat is alive, but has a broken jaw and needs surgery. This young woman has a great attitude, and what a beautiful cat...

Woman chases down coyote that grabbed her cat - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

The surgery is going to be expensive...the website has instructions how to help with a donation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I do applaud the young woman for her actions and her bravery (I would be terrified to confront a coyote) ... but at the same time, I wonder, what on earth was her cat doing outside in the dark in an area where coyotes were (presumably) known to roam?

Very glad it had a happy ending, but I hope the kitty becomes an indoor-only kitty from now on!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
poor poor kitty- I would think it would be emergency surgery and they are not waiting for money. I'll send what I can. I understand her dilemma .

Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
The kitty was on her patio, and the coyote snatched it from there.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Um, right, OUTSIDE on the patio where a coyote could snatch it.

Again, I think it's a great story, but I still can't figure out why someone would let her cat go outside in an area with coyotes. I am very happy the kitty was saved!!

Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, right, OUTSIDE on the patio where a coyote could snatch it.

Again, I think it's a great story, but I still can't figure out why someone would let her cat go outside in an area with coyotes. I am very happy the kitty was saved!!
I agree.

At one time, I worked as a security guard in an office building, where I was required to sometimes walk around outside. The area wasn't totally built up yet, and there were wild turkeys, pheasants, rabbits, stray cats and coyotes. The coyotes never bothered the cats, though, maybe because there was a plentiful supply of rabbits for them to catch.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
I would never let my cat outside in an area with coyotes, especially at night. We have great horned owls in the trees nearby and while they can't carry off a cat, they could still do some damage with their large talons if they were so inclined.

I'm glad she was willing to go and save her cat though.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I hope you'll all read this amazing story, and watch the video. This brave young San Diego woman took off in the dark after the coyote that had snatched her cat from her own patio, chased him down, and saved the kitty! The cat is alive, but has a broken jaw and needs surgery. This young woman has a great attitude, and what a beautiful cat...

Woman chases down coyote that grabbed her cat - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

The surgery is going to be expensive...the website has instructions how to help with a donation.
That's really great! But if she had kept her cat indoors where it belongs and would be safe, this wouldn't have happened. I hope she's learned something from this experience.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It was still outside were predators could get it.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Let's not rag too much on the young college student; the home she lives in, in Tierrasanta, is not bordering on a wilderness area, or a canyon, it is modern SoCal suburbia with nice residential homes (built too close for my taste). A short distance from the neighborhood there is a large wilderness park, yes, but traditionally coyotes have not been an issue unless you're on the outskirts of the residential area. That has obviously changed, so I'm sure that young woman will never let any pets outside unsupervised ever again; but to my knowledge she wasn't exactly being careless and oblivious to obvious dangers, she was just acting like most people do here who have pets; fenced patios and backyards have until recently been considered reasonably safe. We're apparently in a transitional period where coyotes are becoming bolder here in SD, and it takes a while for the thought, and precautions, to kick in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats