Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman2013 View Post
The only thing I can think of is that my daughter (7) picked him up (when she was not supposed to) and he scratched her .........

be keeping a super close eye on him. Maybe it was a fluke....a one time thing.

Thank you everyone. If anything at all seems amiss, rest assured - he will go to the vet pronto.
Children unknowingly have done internal damage to cats (and other small animals) trying to pick them up. They squeeze them too hard. They simply don't know any better and some kids don't care. This is one of the reasons when I was breeding mini poodles and doing rescue work in the 60s and 70s I wouldn't allow people with younger children to adopt or buy the dogs or cats available. Some parents think this is horrible but I had to think of the kitty or pup first.

Working at the Animal Hosp for years in NYC I saw some real damage done to cats and dogs by children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I've seen many times on the show My Cat From Hell where a cat that is freaked out, stressed, or otherwise insecure about something will hide in one of those covered litterboxes because it is like a safe little cave. If the girl hurt him trying to pick him up (even if it's nothing serious) he might be hiding.

Also, some cats will go chill in the litterbox if they feel like they might have to "go" soon, even if you don't see them straining or trying, they might be hanging out there just in case. My cat did this a few times when he had the runs from being on an antibiotic. Imagine that feeling you get in your guts when you're about to have a #2 potty emergency...I'm pretty sure he felt that and went running but then when it didn't happen right away, he settled in to wait. That sort of scenario. A cat with urinary problems might feel the pressing urge to pee even if there's not much of anything to come out, as in a UTI. So he might hang out there just in case.

Those are the reasons I think are likely in your case, with an established older cat.

Cats from shelters and rescues that are in little cages wind up with this behavior for other reasons and it can carry over into the home environment for a while, but you didn't indicate that he was recently adopted so ruling that one out.

Vet visit for bloodwork is a great idea, and you should work on his diet...don't necessarily just listen to the vet. Go to www.catinfo.org and read up when you have time...specifically about the overweight cat and the blocked boy Opie. Vets don't always know or tell you the right thing about cat nutrition.

Best wishes for you and your cat!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
One of my cats just started doing this today. He was treated for UT blockage after my bf moved out (caused by stress/major change), but just this last Saturday I lost my beloved 17 year old cat. They were closer than any cats I've ever had. Reading the responses, could it be that I use clumping litter and he smells his lost love?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieA.K. View Post
Reading the responses, could it be that I use clumping litter and he smells his lost love?
I don't think it has anything to do with the smell but it might be stress related because he doesn't have the companionship of your other cat.

My condolences on the loss of your other kitty.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the smell but it might be stress related because he doesn't have the companionship of your other cat.

My condolences on the loss of your other kitty.
^^I agree^^.
Contrary to what many people think, cats (being the social creatures they are) do grieve when they lose something important to them. That grief can manifest itself in strange ways. Hopefully your cat will work through it & be ok given time. It's not a sure-fire remedy, but you might consider adopting another cat or (better yet) a kitten if your cat remains depressed.

My condolences going out to you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats