U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 AM

432 posts, read 1,186,856 times

Advertisements

I am sad tonight. I am moving back to the USA and after researching have decided that it is better that my cats stay in Australia. I of course want to find a good loving family to take them and it's hard to give them up.

They have been with me since they were born in 2008 and are brother and sister indoor cats only. They lay on my lap at night and keep me company.

I have been checking with friends etc and haven't found a home yet so today I put an ad up online (similar to Craigslist) and within 2 hours already had a phone call.

Oh that phone call has made me so SAD! The family is going to come over next weekend to have a visit to see if they like my cats and of course it's an interview because I need to know that my cats like them and will be going to a loving family.

I just wanted to post as they are my family and will be missed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 AM

4,226 posts, read 14,908,689 times
Sorry you have to go thru that but in the meantime, I'd check out the prospective new home, ie do a home visit and get a vet reference to make sure everything is legit, in other words, while it sounds like they may be going to a good home, wouldn't put all my eggs in one cart in case it's not.

After 6 yrs, they may indeed be better off staying w/ you, while it may be a challenge to find a pet-friendly apt/home, it's certainly not impossible and may be better in the long run for them, that may be your biggest obstacle but it's definitely not insurmountable - just a thought.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,130,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
I am sad tonight. I am moving back to the USA and after researching have decided that it is better that my cats stay in Australia. I of course want to find a good loving family to take them and it's hard to give them up.
Why do you feel it's better to leave them behind in AU? There are plenty of places to rent that allow cats.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 AM

626 posts, read 908,862 times
If you really feel the way you say you do,I don't understand why you think it's better that you leave them behind!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Why do you feel it's better to leave them behind in AU? There are plenty of places to rent that allow cats.
I know, I checked it out and also saw my Vet. During the months of May-Sept (hot temperatures) pets are not allowed to travel in the plane with you so I would need to go through a pet carrier company and it would take 3-4 days with them locked up in quite small cages and they would have to be separated in 2 cages not just one.

They can not have any sleeping tablets and my Vet said that it would probably be extremely stressful on them and he has even heard some animals dying. It is too far of a distance and with the travel, would need to go to LA and then to Denver for the quarantine station and then to Minnesota. It's not like with Racing horses where the pet carrier staff is actually traveling in the compartment with them, the cats are going to be in a dark and cold place by themselves, not even with each other.

The cost is a small factor also, 2 carrier companies quoted me appx $2300 per cat. That is $4600 and they have no liability if the animal dies.

I would feel much better if I could find a lovely family here and I will be interviewing for a good family. If I can't find anyone suitable I will be placing them with a not for profit adoption place that will keep them and find a family for you. They do not believe in destroying animals and often rescues pets on death row at the RSPCA's.

Of course if I won Lotto, I could hire my own plane and I would fly them over. It's still sad but I will make sure that they will have a good loving family if I can.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
If you really feel the way you say you do,I don't understand why you think it's better that you leave them behind!
I posted a reply, please read that other reply. It's just going to be too stressful on them to do the travel. I do feel very sad but won't be cruel to them and put them through that stress. It's better to find a family that they can live with and stay together. A move 10 minutes away is alot easier then 3-4 days and may put them at risk of dying.

I posted yesterday because it was me voicing my sadness. I really didn't expect any replies.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 AM

16,489 posts, read 23,623,640 times
OP, I am so sorry that you have to give your cats away. I have had to go through the same thing many years ago and it was heartbreaking. Hopefully you will find a really good home for them both so they can stay together and be well taken care of.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Sorry you have to go thru that but in the meantime, I'd check out the prospective new home, ie do a home visit and get a vet reference to make sure everything is legit, in other words, while it sounds like they may be going to a good home, wouldn't put all my eggs in one cart in case it's not.
Thank you for that advice. I have arranged for a family with a couple of older teenagers to come over next weekend to spend time in my house to see if the cats like them. They said that their cat died a few months ago from old age and they miss not having a pet.

I was planning on checking out their house but never thought about the vet reference, that's a good idea.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
OP, I am so sorry that you have to give your cats away. I have had to go through the same thing many years ago and it was heartbreaking. Hopefully you will find a really good home for them both so they can stay together and be well taken care of.
Thank you. I think I will find a good home. I have started looking now as I won't be moving for a few months so I have time to find just the right family for them. It will still be sad, but if I know that they are well taken care of it will make my move and new life back with my family easier.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 AM

78 posts, read 137,470 times
WOW!! HOW SAD! I couldn't leave my precious "fur kid" family like that. I would be an emotional wreck! Maybe there's something wrong with me,but I love my "fur family" just as much as people family and could never leave them behind like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats