Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
Hi, I just wanted to note (in case you were curious) that the bars are called lynxing for colorpoint cats It is very common for flame point and cream point cats to have lynxing.
Are you talking about purebred Flame Points or the mixes? Here are two pics that show his coloring. He was very vocal as a young cat but has become much quieter now. He was born in March of 2010. I think he's just a "pointed" old alleycat of no particular breed.

Quote:
It's to the point that it's often expected that even a flame point and cream point will have some, whereas it is even more hyphenated in a flame or cream lynx. Maybe Zebulon is a flame lynx, though! Here's a few tips to check- check if he has a fairly distinct "M" on his forehead, check if on the rim of his ears, they're lined white, check if his eyes are outlined in white.
Every striped cat I had had an M on it's forehead. No white outlines that I can see.

Quote:
My profile picture is a photo of my 2 cats when they were 1. I have a lilac lynx Ragdoll and a blue point Balinese. The ragdoll is a few months older now, and the white around her eyes and ears are more prominent.
I have no access to your profile so cannot see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
One of our fuzzers had blue as a kitten but by a yr old turned a cool hoot owl yellow.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM

117 posts, read 246,754 times
@^.^ I send a FR, so you can see the album.
Even though he is a mix, the colorpoint and pattern genetic still apply Same genetics and pattern across all cats, their "purebreed" status is just established by an established conformation and personality profile by the registry (note- to clarify, their parents and ancestry must be papered, usually there's at least 5-10 generations on the paper). He's definitely a flame lynx point! I'd say he definitely resembles a Siamese mix, whereas OP's cat resembles more of a Ragdoll mix. Your cat has more of that applehead typical of a Siamese-type. If you accept the FR and see the 2 cats, Ragdoll heads have quite a different look than Siamese's. My blue point girl is not quite a total applehead though. Siamese cats come in 3 head types: wedge, classic/old style, and applehead. They are listed in shape from more "extreme" to the typical round head (your cat). My blue point girl is more of a classic/old style.

P.S. I just looked at the pic of him above the printer, he looks like he has white rimmed eyes to me?

Last edited by soci3tycat; 05-07-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
As an owner of mutts and moggies, I know next to nothing about purebred cats. I know more about purebred dogs just from a lot of contact with dog people. I know there are a lot of BS dog registries out there that will give you "papers" for any dog, if you hand over the money. But are you seriously saying that conformation to breed standards of appearance and personality can be the sole determination that a cat may be called a purebred? That is really bogus. When 95% of cats are said to be DSH or DLH anyway, what are the odds that a conforming cat really is what someone claims it to be?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
As an owner of mutts and moggies, I know next to nothing about purebred cats. I know more about purebred dogs just from a lot of contact with dog people. I know there are a lot of BS dog registries out there that will give you "papers" for any dog, if you hand over the money. But are you seriously saying that conformation to breed standards of appearance and personality can be the sole determination that a cat may be called a purebred? That is really bogus. When 95% of cats are said to be DSH or DLH anyway, what are the odds that a conforming cat really is what someone claims it to be?
It's not quite like dog registries. There's one dog registry I heard of that if you pay $25 or something, they give you a slip regardless of lineage. What I meant is that, if you think about it, every "purebeed" was once upon a time created through a mix of "breeds." Once the standard is set, that is the established look for a breed that all registerable purebreds should conform to. Reputable breeders will use this bred standard to select the best conforming ones to breed, etc.

For all cat registries, it's more strict (there aren't as many). It's ancestry has to be papered, and I believe it's different for each breed guideline how many generations of purebred parents are required for the pet to be registered as such- if that makes sense. For example, Ragdolls traditionally came in seal and blue. To expand colors into chocolate and lilac, breeders had to out-cross to Birmans. Then back to Ragdolls. I believe it's supposed to be 6 generations of these "out-crosses" breeding back to pure Ragdolls for the cat to be registerable.

But metaphorically, before each cat or dog "breed look" was established, their look was achieved by out-crossing/mixing a bunch of breeds together. All pets are great in my standard, purebred or not

Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM

And as an example of how inaccurate that would be, I will use my two current dogs as an example. My curiosity about them got the better of me, and hearing that the most recently available doggie DNA test is much improved and very accurate, I tested both of them. Both, as it turns out are 50% American Staffordshire Terrier (more likely American Pit Bull Terrier, which is just about identical genetically, so the test only lists the one). One of them looks exactly like an Amstaff or APBT, and no one would bat an eye if I claimed she was purebred. The other looks like no breed at all, although she would appear to be part American Bulldog (she's not). So both, genetically, have the same amount of the same breed, but one looks just like it and one does not. And the one that looks like a pure pittie also has several other breeds in her.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM

We posted at the same time. I just think saying that conformation to breed standards is a reason to call a cat a purebred is just encouragement to BYBs and such. I say, if you don't have the proof of lineage, then be proud of your mongrel cat.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM

???? I've never found shelter kittens and cats to be lacking in good personalities (generally-of course there are exceptions) They are as affectionate and funloving as anyone could want. They tap your shoulder as you go by, and beg to be let out of their cages and played with. In the open colony, they flock around. Our shelter kitty is my biggest lapcat and the one who often serves as my alarm clock, not because he seems particularly hungry, but because he's lonely. Our oldest, who we found stray at about 4 months, is moodier, but that's mainly because we make her live with two other cats and two dogs, none of which she likes. And she is very affectionate, she just has less tolerance for stimulation. The third, our orange tabby who'd been kicked out of two homes, is as sweet and sunny and friendly as any cat I've ever met. I really don't think I'd find anything better from a breeder.

EDIT: I just remembered the title of this thread. My apologies to jtaustin for going so far afield.

Last edited by subject2change; 05-07-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
???? I've never found shelter kittens and cats to be lacking in good personalities (generally-of course there are exceptions) They are as affectionate and funloving as anyone could want. They tap your shoulder as you go by, and beg to be let out of their cages and played with. In the open colony, they flock around. Our shelter kitty is my biggest lapcat and the one who often serves as my alarm clock, not because he seems particularly hungry, but because he's lonely. Our oldest, who we found stray at about 4 months, is moodier, but that's mainly because we make her live with two other cats and two dogs, none of which she likes. And she is very affectionate, she just has less tolerance for stimulation. The third, our orange tabby who'd been kicked out of two homes, is as sweet and sunny and friendly as any cat I've ever met. I really don't think I'd find anything better from a breeder.

EDIT: I just remembered the title of this thread. My apologies to jtaustin for going so far afield.
Ugh, I accidentally deleted my postttttt x_x
Well, I'm very glad you saw it before all that disappeared. I've seen a wide range of cats from shelters. I've seen very friendly to very skittish ones. I think the typical person who doesn't like cats says they prefer dogs because "bla bla bla" (insert description of stereotypical skittish cats). I think often times, stereotypes exist for a reason. Not because it's always true, but that something is occurring enough times that it's noticed. At the shelters, I've seen a lot of OLDER cats that are really nice and great. I think there must be a weeding process for older cats where they either put down skittish/antisocial cats or move them to foster parents for rehabilitation. As for 1-2 year old cats, I think I've seen maybe 1/2 and 1/2 or a little more skittish than social cats.

I'm happy you love BOTH dogs and cats!! I find so many people think they only have to like or be loyal to one, but this confuses me. They're both animals? I like them both, even if I prefer one over the other? Lol people can be so funny sometimes, it's like everything's a competition!!

What I meant about breeders is that people often go to them for a certain LOOK and then also expect a certain well-socialized personality. I think there would be lots of shelter cats/kittens that might fit their bill physically, but may not personality-wise. Siamese are very popular pets, and the social ones seem to go like hotcakes. But the ones that are not social (many of them, because Siamese require a lot of socialization at a young age to be very puppy like) are hard to adopt. I think if more people paid a lot of attention to young kittens, then a person would more easily be able to find THE LOOK and the personality combo more easily in a shelter. Maybe I'm wrong/this doesn't make sense, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats