U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 AM

7,196 posts, read 4,911,256 times

Advertisements

I have posted before about the cats that I've been feeding. The local TNR place has openings later this month for neuter surgeries/rabies shots, so in the meantime...

Now when I come outside to feed, the cats run up to me and hiss. Today I had two of them hissing at me, from about a foot away. I actually dropped the food because I was startled to have them so close, and because I was afraid that one might bite! I know that they're hissing because they're hungry and scared. Still, I can't have vicious kitties around; I do have two kids. :/

Do you think that there is actually a risk of them biting, like a wild animal? Or are they all hiss and no bite? I'm not quite sure what to do; I'm afraid that the TNR people will recommend euthanasia, which isn't what I want, but if they start getting bitey, then that's what will have to happen, I'm sure.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,865,101 times
I got a kitten in March and he hisses at everyone, except me, then he walks up to them and purrs.

I would suggest not trying to touch them, just put the food down and maybe back away.

They are probably more scared than you. Be sure to tell your kids to stay completely away from the cats, that way there can't be a problem between them.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM

13,514 posts, read 17,611,203 times
I agree with leanansidhex...just put the food down and stay at a distance...they're afraid..have you been feeding them for long? I ask because even with feral cats, they relax after awhile of feeding them, and aren't so afraid anymore..I doubt that they'd come around when your youngsters are out if they're still that afraid of you.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Oh, I'm not trying to touch them at all... they're running right up to me, hissing and panting. (It's Florida and it's hot out.) I've been feeding them for about three weeks... one of the hissers used to just hang around and meow sweetly; I'm not sure why she's hissing at me all of a sudden. I haven't attempted to touch them or even to go near them. I just put the food down and go back in the house.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM

13,514 posts, read 17,611,203 times
Maybe they hiss because they're feeling hot and cranky. Very sweet of you to care for them like that. Maybe they tried scrounging some food from someone else who wasn't as nice as you are...maybe that's why they're hissing.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM

683 posts, read 1,743,755 times
Is it possible one of them had kittens?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Yes one did have kittens but I'm not sure which one it was. They are in the garage of the house diagonally across the street... There is a hole in the door and the lady who lives there is letting them stay.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM

16,481 posts, read 22,965,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have posted before about the cats that I've been feeding. The local TNR place has openings later this month for neuter surgeries/rabies shots, so in the meantime...

Now when I come outside to feed, the cats run up to me and hiss. Today I had two of them hissing at me, from about a foot away. I actually dropped the food because I was startled to have them so close, and because I was afraid that one might bite! I know that they're hissing because they're hungry and scared. Still, I can't have vicious kitties around; I do have two kids. :/

Do you think that there is actually a risk of them biting, like a wild animal? Or are they all hiss and no bite? I'm not quite sure what to do; I'm afraid that the TNR people will recommend euthanasia, which isn't what I want, but if they start getting bitey, then that's what will have to happen, I'm sure.

Any suggestions?
Have you been able to handle these kittens before? Don't feed them when they are actually hissing at you or that may only reinforce that behavior. Stand there and wait for them to calm down before you feed them. Hopefully they will soon associate you with food and good things and stop the hissing.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM

4,830 posts, read 8,062,191 times
If they're kittens, they're likely "practicing" their hiss. All of my cats have done that. They hunch their back and hiss and do that funny sideways walk for a second or two. After that, they're fine.

I doubt these cats are "mean" hissing at you ---- they're probably just hot, hungry, confused. I also doubt they will bite you for no reason.

I'm happy and thankful that you're taking care of them. There are so many animals out there with no one who cares about them.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! They're not little kittens... my guess is that they're between 6 months and a year old, maybe? They're big but still run around and play like kittens. My own cat is 15 months and will still pounce on feet and wrestle with socks occasionally, but has mostly grown out of it. These cats outside pounce all over each other still, which makes me think they're under a year old.

No, I have never tried to touch or handle them at all. Up until recently, they kept more of a distance (and didn't hiss). I will try not feeding them if they're having a hissy fit () and instead wait a few minutes to see if they calm down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats