Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
An acquaintance of our inherited an apartment bldg when her mother died. People come and go from this bldg. Sadly, they leave their pets behind to die when they leave. She now has 15 cats living in some kind of pen attached to her garage for these abandoned cats. I don't think it's much of a life for them. I don't know how many more she can afford to care for. I think the next time I speak to her I'll suggest she stop allowing pet in the building.
Wow that is just awful. That sounds like a good suggestion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Gangsta fits. He is a beauty.
Thank you!!! He agrees....heeeheee

Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
So I had been mulling for months, since we bought our first house after many moons of renting and a number of years moving around (military family) and now we're putting down some roots... I was feeling it, this wanting for a cat, but there always seemed to be reasons not to. Don't have the money. Would have to cat-proof the house. You name it. Then one day I was idly browsing Petfinder's local listings, and I lost my heart to this sweet little face:

And they were calling him "Nimbus Techno Geek." Well, I'm a bit of a techno geek myself, built my first computer a couple years ago, play D&D and watch Dr. Who and Star Trek and all of that. It was just too perfect. It was MEANT TO BE. I made contact with the rescue via email and went up to see him the very next chance I had. If I have one complaint about the way this rescue operates, it's that they only allow visitors/adoptions at their site for two hours a week on Sundays. But I digress. My boy was in a little cage, with no room to stretch or run about, most of the cats there were free in the room, but she said he got in fights and had to be caged. Just as well, as health problems were pretty rampant there. Nimbus was still suffering a lingering kitty cold but we got him all cleared up. When I opened his cage to see him for the first time, he came right out into my arms, just looking at me like "What took you so long? Can we go home now?"

I'm so glad I got him. Even though, now that he's acclimated to the home, he's not the most snuggly affectionate cat ever, just watching him or playing with him helps me relax and makes me so happy. I am not having the best of days today...and I wish I was home with my Nimbus right now, and can't wait until I can go subject him to involuntary kitty snuggles.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Then one day I was idly browsing Petfinder's local listings, and I lost my heart to this sweet little face:
I can see how you fell for his sweet little face.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
That poster went off topic to say that he/she (the poster) hoped the cats lived another 11 years -- maybe iffy -- because the Vietnamese adopted daughters might eat the pet cats, because Vietnamese do not see pets the same way as Americans do.

My jaw dropped to the floor when I read that post. However, after a good night's sleep, I figured that maybe the poster was simply trying to make a joke, altho' an incredibly tasteless joke, IMO. And if I had been No Kudzu, I definitely would not have even acknowledged that post with a reply.

This is -- was -- a thread about how our cats adopted us. I thought this thread could easily be THE ONE AND ONLY place on C-D General Forums that people wouldn't go off topic, wouldn't be unkind to each other and wouldn't argue with each other. I mean - I just didn't see how this couldn't be a sweet and happy thread. My mistake.

This thread is now the foreign countries and their customs thread.

Enjoy.
^^^ I was going to share my cat adoption stories, but I lost the inclination... Maybe if the thread recovers, I'll get back to sweet memories...

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
^^^ I was going to share my cat adoption stories, but I lost the inclination... Maybe if the thread recovers, I'll get back to sweet memories...
The best way for the thread to recover would be for us to simply say, there was a misunderstanding of intent, no need to go on about it, let us put it behind us and talk about how we got our kitty babies.

I told my story. I'd love to hear yours!

There are way too many forums on C-D I've had to abandon because people just plain gave each other too much grief, in many cases when it was completely unnecessary. There is a reason I have stayed in the cat forum...we all love our kitties! So let's take this to the happy place, and hang out there together, shall we?

In other news, my Nimbus was not impressed with his beef pate style dinner selection last night, and commenced the "wake up and give me tastier food" meowing and carryings on at about 1AM. Of course instead of just getting up and fixing the situation, I stubbornly buried my head in the pillows and tried to ignore him. This led to me not getting very much sleep...*sigh*

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
, I stubbornly buried my head in the pillows and tried to ignore him. This led to me not getting very much sleep...*sigh*
Hi, Sonic_Spork! Glad to see we are posting about sweet kitty stuph again! Thanks!

Your experience is why I keep my kitties caged or at least locked in a room over night. They seem to be creatures of habit and get used to it, as long as I'm consistent.

Mostly I don't want to wake up in a panic in the middle of the night when the little dears knock something over and it becomes neccessary to peel me off the ceiling!!! lol

Just caught myself going off topic! If anyone wants to hear about how ANY of my kitties adopted me, I will gladly tell!!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Kitty Katty eats for the last time around 9pm and takes his bath and settles in for the night on his spot on the couch. Stays there all night long and snoozes.

He used to get up with me when I had my bouts of insomnia but now he just stays there. Looks up for a second to see who it is that is disturbing his sleep and goes back to bed.

Right now he is laying across my arms and purring.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Kitty Katty eats for the last time around 9pm and takes his bath and settles in for the night on his spot on the couch. Stays there all night long and snoozes.

He used to get up with me when I had my bouts of insomnia but now he just stays there. Looks up for a second to see who it is that is disturbing his sleep and goes back to bed.

Right now he is laying across my arms and purring.
AW! So cute! Considering they are supposed to be nocturnal animals, it's amazing how well they adapt. Give kitty Katty a little rub on the head for me... Scooter rarely does that!!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I was ready for another cat and had been browsing the pictures at the local shelters but hadn't made the trip to go see them. I just had this "idea" that my next cat was going to be a black male. Well, my neighbor called and told me she had a friend whose daughter was moving and wanted to find a home for her cat. I agreed to go to her house the next day to check him out. When I got there, it was a tiny little house with a couple of dogs and other cats. "Shadow" immediately came over and plopped his big fat black cat ass on my lap. He wasn't the most handsome cat I'd ever seen, but he was sweet and seemed to want to belong to me so I took him home. That was about 10 years ago. Here's my baby on his "blankie" on the back porch.

How did your cat become a member of your family?-shadow.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats