Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times

Advertisements

Poor Kitty Katty But at least if it's a UTI, you can get that treated and he will be feeling like himself again soon.
Is there a web address on the enzyme cleaner? Maybe they would explain it on their website, or you could email them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Good luck getting the stuff clean. I hope the KK feels better soon.

If you have trouble with the urine sample, you might want to try Kit4Cat. It's a little bag of "hydrophobic" sand, doesn't absorb water. Kit4Cat Hydrophobic Sand for Cat Urine Sample Collection I used this in the regular litter box with a couple of tricks, and Amber used it without hesitation at all. The tricks: it's a TINY amount of sand, enough to maybe cover the floor of the box. My box usually has 3-4" of litter depth, and that affects her getting into and out of it too if it's not deep. So I took some regular litter and filled it into large zipper bags (should be water-tight) I used that to get some depth in the box (also didn't hurt that underneath it looked like litter still in there. Then I sprinkled the special sand over that. Didn't faze her in the least. All cats can vary in their reactions I'm sure, but it was easy sample. The bag comes with a tube to put the urine in and take to vet.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well he hasn't used his litterbox since yesterday. My poor kitty. The vet wants me to put him in the bathroom and try to have me get a urine sample, so I have introduced the new little box to him..... The urine smell did not come out of the bedding so bought this enzyme stuff at PetsMart.

Does anyone know how I go about using that in the washer? KK is sitting with me right now and his fur is stinky.

Poor kitty.

He must be miserable.....you might try mixing some vinegar with warm water and sponging his fur all over to remove the urine smell from him. That or dry shampoo/pet wipes from Petsmart made just for animals. I'm confused a bit...what are you trying to wash in the washer? Did the mattress get soaked as well? I have never had really good luck with the enzyme stuff removing odors - I have used them on carpet though. I would add a cup of white vinegar to the washer with the soap. Even some stains are only marginally helped. For the odor the BEST stuff I have ever found is the Fizzion tablets (Jackson Galaxy endorses them and they are excellent). I but them off Amazon and I have a large spray bottle with measurements on the side. 1 tablet for 16 ounces of water. It has a wonderfully clean smell, and after cleaning up stinky stuff - I swear there is no odor left. It is amazing.....if you look on their website they also sell it at Krogers stores (grocery) but I'm not sure if there are any close to you. That is if you wanted to try it and didn't want to wait on Amazon to send it. For actual stains though, nothing beats Folex - use it on carpets, walls, upholstery and it does an excellent and quick job of stain removal. Doesn't seem to affect smells though.
As far as getting a urine sample, if he does have a UTI and can't pee the vet can either catheterize him or use a needle to extract enough urine from his bladder for a urine test. It is nearly impossible to get a good sample at home. The stuff greg42 mentioned may be an option but none of my vets have ever mentioned it to me - I will remember it though. Good luck...hope KK is OK, and keep us posted. Is SO still mad at KK?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
He must be miserable.....you might try mixing some vinegar with warm water and sponging his fur all over to remove the urine smell from him. That or dry shampoo/pet wipes from Petsmart made just for animals. I'm confused a bit...what are you trying to wash in the washer? Did the mattress get soaked as well? I have never had really good luck with the enzyme stuff removing odors - I have used them on carpet though. I would add a cup of white vinegar to the washer with the soap. Even some stains are only marginally helped. For the odor the BEST stuff I have ever found is the Fizzion tablets (Jackson Galaxy endorses them and they are excellent). I but them off Amazon and I have a large spray bottle with measurements on the side. 1 tablet for 16 ounces of water. It has a wonderfully clean smell, and after cleaning up stinky stuff - I swear there is no odor left. It is amazing.....if you look on their website they also sell it at Krogers stores (grocery) but I'm not sure if there are any close to you. That is if you wanted to try it and didn't want to wait on Amazon to send it. For actual stains though, nothing beats Folex - use it on carpets, walls, upholstery and it does an excellent and quick job of stain removal. Doesn't seem to affect smells though.
As far as getting a urine sample, if he does have a UTI and can't pee the vet can either catheterize him or use a needle to extract enough urine from his bladder for a urine test. It is nearly impossible to get a good sample at home. The stuff greg42 mentioned may be an option but none of my vets have ever mentioned it to me - I will remember it though. Good luck...hope KK is OK, and keep us posted. Is SO still mad at KK?
Well he peed on the bed and he peed a lot. It got all over the duvet and soaked through to the sheets and the mattress. When I peeled the blanket off I noticed he had done it once before because there was a dried up area as well.

I scrubbed the mattress but I think I am going to use the enzyme cleaner on it. I used a mixture of vinegar and water and then baking soda and then dish detrgent and peroxide.

The urine smell is still in the bedding, and it was all bleached. Its all white.

I don't think he is upset anymore but he was still this morning. =(

Kitty is sitting here with me and he has not gone to the bathroom even still since last night.

He keeps nibbling on me. I think he is pretty uncomfortable.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Awwwwwwww, poor Kitty Katty. Robyn, so sorry he and you are going through this.

I wish I could offer you some suggestions, but I haven't had this problem (knock on wood), I've been very lucky. I hope KK doesn't have a UTI -- that could be very painful.

Hugs to you both!! Pls. keep us posted!!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM

Well he just finally peed and it was in his litter box, not where I wanted him to. Now he is on lock down in the bathroom with a litter box with these little black pellet looking things...... Oh goodness.

He didn't finish downstairs though so maybe he has some left.

I was down there doing laundry and he was doing some crazy meow at me so I went and looked at him and talked to him and went back around to the w/d and then he was on the stairs looking around at me.

He usually runs up and down but he was taking them pretty easily.

I am at least glad that he was able to go and was able to go in his litter box.

Now he is in the bathroom crying. =(

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Pik....watch him closely. He may have or be forming bladder stones and it is very painful. One of hubby's boys had them and had to have emergency surgery to remove them (apparently he had a bunch of them). He was straining to pee and either nothing happened or he started passing bits of blood. Is he eating and drinking normally? IMHO you should probably see if the vet could check him, see if he has a temp, check his bladder, possibly x-ray to see if he has stones. Better safe than sorry, and with a long holiday weekend coming up, he will be hurtin' for certain if he needs urgent care. I know you probably aren't made out of money, but I also know you love your boy. Sending you both a hug (((hug))).

Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Pik....watch him closely. He may have or be forming bladder stones and it is very painful. One of hubby's boys had them and had to have emergency surgery to remove them (apparently he had a bunch of them). He was straining to pee and either nothing happened or he started passing bits of blood. Is he eating and drinking normally? IMHO you should probably see if the vet could check him, see if he has a temp, check his bladder, possibly x-ray to see if he has stones. Better safe than sorry, and with a long holiday weekend coming up, he will be hurtin' for certain if he needs urgent care. I know you probably aren't made out of money, but I also know you love your boy. Sending you both a hug (((hug))).
I am taking him in the morning after I see the chiropractor. I had him locked in the bathroom for a few hours to see if he would pee in that litterbox and he didn't and I am not keeping him locked up any longer. I hope its nothing and something just spooked him last night.

At least he did pee in the litterbox downstairs earlier.

He is eating normally.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
I am taking him in the morning after I see the chiropractor. I had him locked in the bathroom for a few hours to see if he would pee in that litterbox and he didn't and I am not keeping him locked up any longer. I hope its nothing and something just spooked him last night.

At least he did pee in the litterbox downstairs earlier.

He is eating normally.
Good to hear you're taking him in. Let us know what's going on. Hugs.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Well he just finally peed and it was in his litter box, not where I wanted him to. Now he is on lock down in the bathroom with a litter box with these little black pellet looking things...... Oh goodness.
Years ago I locked Amber in the bathroom with those pellets. In the recent collection I sure didn't want to do that again, which is why I tried the Kit4Cat sand, although you have to kinda plan ahead a little because the only way I knew to get it is Amazon and wait 2 days. (I brought the package to the vet though to suggest it to them, but I doubt too many vets carry it yet.) It's a good sign he was able to go earlier, but it can sure take a LONG time when you lock him in with the unfamiliar box and pellets, especially if he's having trouble going. So yeah, a few hours didn't cut it.

If I recall Amber ended up curling up in the sink though, which was funny. (Even earlier in her life, one of the things she did once was get up on the kitchen counter and climb into a colander that was in the sink. It was while I wasn't home. Came home and found the cat curled up in there. Wish I had picture.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats