Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM

131 posts, read 260,642 times

Advertisements

It could also be a stray someone else has been feeding who will now be wondering what happened to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
I did not mean to attack; not sure if you were talking to me. I don't think anyone suggested that you bring the cat indoors. You don't know its vax history and even if you wanted to keep it (which you don't), that would put your own kitty at risk. I do own cats, and I feed ferals in our backyard. Our cats don't care too much about the cats outside, but I'm sure it depends on personality. One of ours barely glances at them, and the other one watches with much interest and "chases" them from window to window. It's all in fun, though; she's not hissing or puffing up her tail or showing any other signs of distress (and I don't think they can even see her... if they can, they certainly don't care about her at all).

Glad you got the issue taken care of! We recently trapped cats for TNR. I trapped the same lactating mama cat twice, and had to let her go twice (she was recently postpartum and I didn't want to be the one causing her to be away from her newborns), but we got two kitties vaccinated and fixed! If kitty is still outside your house for the time being until you can take her to the ASPCA, cover the trap with a towel if you haven't already. This calmed our ferals right down so they could be transported without freaking out.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,486 times
Wow...I missed the whole thing. Good job catching her so quickly and I sure hope KK can have some peace and quiet now. Once you drop her at the ASPCA don't do like me and sit around postulating about what the did/do to her. You did the only thing you could and I applaud you for that!! Maybe she will be adoptable and find a great home. At any rate, her fate there will be better than the fate awaiting her while roaming the streets. Your mattress and bedding still may be toast, but hopefully that problem is resolved. I absolutely understand how outside cats can frustrate and make indoor cats crazy. Good job!!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Wow...I missed the whole thing. Good job catching her so quickly and I sure hope KK can have some peace and quiet now. Once you drop her at the ASPCA don't do like me and sit around postulating about what the did/do to her. You did the only thing you could and I applaud you for that!! Maybe she will be adoptable and find a great home. At any rate, her fate there will be better than the fate awaiting her while roaming the streets. Your mattress and bedding still may be toast, but hopefully that problem is resolved. I absolutely understand how outside cats can frustrate and make indoor cats crazy. Good job!!
I agree with CFoulke: am so glad for KK's sake and hopefully he will go back to being his own adorable self again!!

You said,
Quote:
She actually looks just like a cat I used to have.
Is there any chance at all that she somehow is that cat? Stranger things have happened. . .

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I agree with CFoulke: am so glad for KK's sake and hopefully he will go back to being his own adorable self again!!

You said, Is there any chance at all that she somehow is that cat? Stranger things have happened. . .
She looked just like Chloe. Chloe actually had a thinner physique. When I saw the cat it broke my heart. =(

Chloe found a home in New York.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Ah, I see. That's a painful one. I know how that is; I'll still just weep when I run across of picture of Carly.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

683 posts, read 1,883,206 times
Cats have been known to travel all the way across the country to find their way back home. You never know!

If you haven't already taken the cat to the ASPCA, you should take a few pictures of it first and post them on Craigslist. Many pet owners who lose their pet check there first when they realize their pet is gone. You can let them know where you have taken it so they can recover it if they wish to. While it is more than likely a stray with no home, you never know. Unfortunately some people let their cats roam free 24/7.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
I, too, salute you for your action.

I keep seeing more and more different cats in my neighborhood, it's like now that the weather has stopped having crazy cold snaps, the neighbors seem to think it's a fine idea to let the cats out all over the place. I sure hope they are fixed. I've taken to creeping verrrrry slowly in my van through the neighborhood, watching for animals, because these cats can suddenly run from behind a parked car right into your path, especially if there are so many cats around and they chase each other. I would freak out BAD if I hit someone's cat. At least we park in the garage, so as long as no cats sneak into our garage somehow, we don't have to worry too much about them getting into our engine compartments.

Lordy.

We have one (at least) that I've seen rarely visiting our yard and deck. The sliding deck door is Nimbus' favorite spot for watching his "show." He doesn't get upset exactly, about this other cat, but reacts about the same way as when he sees bugs or birds. Hyper-interested, hyper-alert. Almost twitchy. No growling or signs of aggression though.

The other cat appeared almost slinking along, like it was submissive, an almost ashamed sort of posture. I think it's seen some hard treatment, probably by other neighborhood cats. It slunk away when it noticed Nimbus staring at it. I haven't seen it again since, and that was a couple weeks ago, but I find the occasional tracks or little cat poops in the yard, so I think it's still around...or another one is.

I wish people wouldn't let their cats out...although it's worse when the neighbors' dogs are wandering around. At least I don't fear the cats trying to attack or bite me, or my kids.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
The cat was like a crazy wild animal. I do not think she was anyones pet. Her ear was not clipped. She was ready to attack me and the lady that helped me.

She was young, not an older cat. I am not sure she was ever a pet. In all honesty, I think she was probably the offspring of a stray. I have been seeing her for several months. It almost feels like for as long as we have had Kitty Katty.

One morning she was on our front porch and in the mornings we open the door for KK so he can look out. My SO had switched it from glass to screen. It goes all the way from top to bottom. He must not have latched it tightly because that cat took the screen down trying to get at my cat. The screen came flying in and he was under it and she ran off.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM

^^^ No wonder poor KK is traumatized and peeing where he shouldn't. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats