Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

Well, we will start out with he lost 1/4th of a pound, so that is good. Examination of the bladder was good. It was not enlarged and he was not in pain. She took him back to try and get a urine sample and he peed in a cup. (I can't even pee in a cup)

It was very dark and had a little bit of blood but she did not see bacteria. She said there were some strange things showing up so she is sending it to an outside lab. The results will be back tomorrow.

She went ahead and put him on an antibiotic as well as amitriptiline. She thinks he may be in the beginning stages of a UTI and it won't hurt to go ahead and give it to him. I agree with her, especially since we will be going out of town on Monday.

The other medication to help with his mood.

She did not seemed terribly concerned about his urine but said some strange things came up on some other cats results so she is wondering if something in the office needs to be changed.

Glad we brought him in.

Oh, she also thinks he may be going to the bathroom elsewhere in the house. I have not smelled anything so we may get a black light and check it out.

I think he holds it because when I see him peeing, he pees a river....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Well, that's mostly good news, right?

RE: his peeing elsewhere in the house -- seems like you would have noticed -- I think it would be hard to miss? Even if you didn't catch him in the act, you'd surely smell it.

Hugs to KK! And have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, that's mostly good news, right?

RE: his peeing elsewhere in the house -- seems like you would have noticed -- I think it would be hard to miss? Even if you didn't catch him in the act, you'd surely smell it.

Hugs to KK! And have a nice Memorial Day weekend!
I think so. His urine isn't strong smelling at all. But it sure stayed on all those linens!

You have a Happy Memorial Day too!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Good to hear! I'm sure all will be right before you know it. Why did the vet think he was peeing elsewhere in your house? I agree, it seems that would be hard to miss.

Anyway, have a good weekend, Happy Memorial Day!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Wishing a very happy and safe weekend on this Memorial Day coming up - to all the great posters here on the cat thread. Relax and enjoy the weekend!!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Good to hear! I'm sure all will be right before you know it. Why did the vet think he was peeing elsewhere in your house? I agree, it seems that would be hard to miss.

Anyway, have a good weekend, Happy Memorial Day!
Because he is not going very much if at all in his litter box and has peed on the guest bed a couple of times.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Wishing a very happy and safe weekend on this Memorial Day coming up - to all the great posters here on the cat thread. Relax and enjoy the weekend!!!!
Thank you, and you too! We will be traveling that day!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Glad to hear things went well. Hopefully the urine results will tell you more, and I'm sure the antibiotics will help with whatever it is.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Kittys results show a very elevated amount of crystals in his urine. She said he could be prone to that, could have been because he was holding it for so long. His urine also did not sit at all. It was a very fresh and sterile specimen and was sent right to the lab.

She said it may have been 'too' fresh...

She also said in all of her practice, he was the first cat to pee in a cup.... =)

She wants to see if his behavior switches back to peeing in inappropriate places after he is off the amitryptiline and there is also a rx food he can try if the crystals continue because they can lead to stones and blockage, and we don't want that...

Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Kittys results show a very elevated amount of crystals in his urine. She said he could be prone to that, could have been because he was holding it for so long. His urine also did not sit at all. It was a very fresh and sterile specimen and was sent right to the lab.

She said it may have been 'too' fresh...

She also said in all of her practice, he was the first cat to pee in a cup.... =)

She wants to see if his behavior switches back to peeing in inappropriate places after he is off the amitryptiline and there is also a rx food he can try if the crystals continue because they can lead to stones and blockage, and we don't want that...

Hi Pik!!! Prior to all the commotion with the outside cat -was KK peeing in his litter box regularly? When you scoop every day, could you tell if he was peeing in there? We have a couple of cats who like to pee in corners of rooms for some particular reason. In the basement (it's unfinished) - the walls and floor are concrete and in two of the corners (both near windows they like to look out of) I have found wet spots and spray that I have to clean up. I am just wondering if this is an isolated event for him, or if he has been "holding out" for a long time. Hmmmm....his meds are the generic of Elavil - my hubby takes it to help prevent migraines and for cats it is supposed to prevent inappropriate elimination. I found this for you to read: Effects of Long-Term Use of Amitriptyline in Cats - Pets. I sure hope he doesn't develop crystals - you will have to be diligent in watching him for a while to make sure he is able to pee - if he gets blocked they can get really sick pretty quickly and possibly die. And we certainly don't want that!!! Thanks for the update, be safe on the roads, and I sent the stuff out to you this morning!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats