U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 PM

2,730 posts, read 3,927,064 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorite cat book. I don't necessarily mean one on the care of cats, but a book with a cat as the central character.

I love the three Cleveland Amory books on his cat Polar Bear: "The Cat Who Came For Christmas," "The Cat and the Curmudgeon," and "The Best Cat Ever." You can buy all three in one volume:

The Compleat Cat by Cleveland Amory

I also love:

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

CLEO: The Cat Who Mended a Family

Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat

I'm currently reading a charming novel by the author of "Homer":

Love Saves the Day: A Novel

Last edited by NewJerseyMemories; 06-15-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 PM

25,677 posts, read 25,581,909 times
Of course. This will sound weird but the book is called Cross Country Cat. I will never get rid of it and the drawings are superb.

http://www.harpercollins.com/browsei...=9780688065195

If you click in the right places you can see the pages from the book. "Henry was a hind leg walker."

Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM

25,677 posts, read 25,581,909 times
Polar Bear Cat by Nicola Bayley - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists and this entire series.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Of course. This will sound weird but the book is called Cross Country Cat. I will never get rid of it and the drawings are superb.

Browse Inside Cross-Country Cat by Mary Calhoun, Illustrated by Erick Ingraham

If you click in the right places you can see the pages from the book. "Henry was a hind leg walker."
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those sound interesting. I'll have to check them out!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,276,765 times
James Herriot's Cat Stories is a good read (from All Creatures Great and Small series), and I also own and loved the books about Homer, Dewey, and Cleo. I cry like a baby.....

Oooooo....I forgot Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul....

Last edited by CFoulke; 06-15-2013 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 PM

39,277 posts, read 69,775,573 times
The one about the library cat, the name of which is escaping me. (ETA: which I now notice has been mentioned in the OP. D'oh! Thanks!)

Some of Rita Mae Brown's books featuring Sneaky Pie the cat are fun to read. Ms. Brown creates some pretty entertaining characters, including the animals.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
James Herriot's Cat Stories is a good read (from All Creatures Great and Small series), and I also own and loved the books about Homer, Dewey, and Cleo. I cry like a baby.....

Oooooo....I forgot Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul....
Homer especially gets to me. A blind cat?

There is a blog about Homer and his human:

Gwen Cooper - Author's Blog

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 22,264,373 times
Lilian Jackson Braun wrote the Cat Who books. I loved them. I also read Midnight Louie books by Carole Nelson Douglas and the Joe Grey mysteries by Shirley Rousseau Murphy.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM

14,523 posts, read 8,351,540 times
The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats
by Paul Gallico, Suzanne Szasz

I've just read a first edition (1964) of this wonderful book and loved it very much. It's one I might just have to buy. The author successfully used the literary device of having it being written by a cat, and speaking to the kittens, strays and homeless cats.

Check it out; your library probably has it.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats
by Paul Gallico, Suzanne Szasz

I've just read a first edition (1964) of this wonderful book and loved it very much. It's one I might just have to buy. The author successfully used the literary device of having it being written by a cat, and speaking to the kittens, strays and homeless cats.

Check it out; your library probably has it.
Oh I remember Paul Gallico! I need to read his books again. It's been a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats