Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

I have discovered my dog is drinking the kitten's water. Since it's so small, he depletes it quickly. She's a big water drinker so I don't want her to find it empty. I've read it's best to keep the water separate from the food because cats will drink less water if it's near the food. I have started leaving various water dishes hidden around for her so it's like stumbling upon water in the wild. I'm sure the basset will drink all of those too. It's not like he doesn't have enough water of his own either. He's a water horse. He'll drink water anywhere and everywhere all the time.

But the food is another problem entirely. It's the biggest problem. There's a little indent in the wall behind the sectional. It's about 1-1/2' deep and 3' long. It's the perfect place to keep her food. Or so I thought. My basset is about to dive bomb down there. He truly thinks he can find a way over the sofa and into that little space. The reality is he'll break his neck. I can't even leave her moist food out for 15 minutes after she's done eating it. Heck, he's trying to get down there while she's eating!

Until she is big enough to jump onto a piece of furniture, like the buffet, I have no options that I can envision. If I arranged furniture so she could climb up there, the basset will be able to climb up too.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
What about a set of steps up to the buffet - do you think your dog would climb the steps and get up their too? Failing actual steps you might try propping a board - I'm thinking maybe a 2x8, cover it with some old towels to prevent splinters in her tender paws and also to give her something to grab onto as she climbs up the board. You could tack the towels onto the back side and move the board out of the way when it's not needed. It wouldn't look pretty, but I think it might be temporary until she gets a little bigger and can hop up herself. I would put her food and water up there so Mr. Basset can't get into any of it. I have found that wet food has enough moisture in it that they probably won't drink as much water - but they will still drink it. Ours are located in the same room - and mine have absolutely no problem with the water being about 8 feet away from their food. Here at our house, we have no dogs to contend with BUT I have 22 cats to contend with. Our sun room belongs to THEM - among other things in there we have an old sturdy table which I cover with a heavy duty shower curtain, and I have two dry food dispensers - one one each end - and their food bowls are offered with wet food only in the morning. After breakfast - wet food dishes are removed and scrubbed daily with hot soapy water (don't use plastic - ceramic or something other than plastic) and their "tablecloth" is cleaned also. For water - I have several of the Drinkwell 360 water containers which hold a gallon of water each. I fill ours daily and run white vinegar through them weekly - followed by a hot soapy scrubbing before refilling. They like the flowing water and they drink LOTS. They make them for dogs and cats and they could share if you got one. FYI - I found the best prices for them at Amazon. Ours have been in constant use now for almost 3 years with absolutely no problems. Good luck - I am enjoying her journey with you and your family.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I

Until she is big enough to jump onto a piece of furniture, like the buffet, I have no options that I can envision. If I arranged furniture so she could climb up there, the basset will be able to climb up too.

Any ideas?
Put gate across one room's doorway. Keep her things there out of his reach.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I fixed a baby gate, cut out the wire, for a cat size hole. I wrapped the wire showing with duct tape. I put the cat box, food, and water in the laundry room. The cat could go in his room, thru his own hole, the dog could just watch...the gate was low enough, I could straddle it, without having to take it out all the time.

Find an old one at Salvation Army.

Or alternatively, you could cut a hole in a large box for kitten. He can go get his food and water. No dogs allowed. Put box in corner, this will prevent dog from pushing it all over.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
What about a set of steps up to the buffet - do you think your dog would climb the steps and get up their too?
Yes, he would!

Quote:
Failing actual steps you might try propping a board - I'm thinking maybe a 2x8, cover it with some old towels to prevent splinters in her tender paws and also to give her something to grab onto as she climbs up the board. You could tack the towels onto the back side and move the board out of the way when it's not needed. It wouldn't look pretty, but I think it might be temporary until she gets a little bigger and can hop up herself.
I don't think that will work because the basset will try to go up it and he'll hurt himself trying. But you gave me an idea! That indent in the wall was supposed to be built-in shelves. My husband never got around to doing it. Maybe we can build the shelves in a way that she can get down there but the opening is too small for the basset to ever dream of it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes, he would!

I don't think that will work because the basset will try to go up it and he'll hurt himself trying. But you gave me an idea! That indent in the wall was supposed to be built-in shelves. My husband never got around to doing it. Maybe we can build the shelves in a way that she can get down there but the opening is too small for the basset to ever dream of it.

Well, I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt....and Bassets are a little unbalanced anyway with that low center of gravity - hmmmm....wasn't sure. I'm trying to visualize where the indent is - is it visible or is it behind your furniture now? You could put a baby gate over that opening and either cut her a small hole or teach her how to jump/climb it. What about installing a cat door in perhaps your laundry room door - put her goodies in there and shut the door. She can get in, but Mr Basset can't. They do make them for interior doors: PetSafe Deluxe Indoor Cat Door - Doors - Cat - PetSmart
Looking at the dimensions - do you think Mr Basset could fit through this?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Put gate across one room's doorway. Keep her things there out of his reach.
That's not possible until she's older. Our house is entirely open concept. There are no doorways on the first floor. We can do something on the second floor when she starts going upstairs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I fixed a baby gate, cut out the wire, for a cat size hole. I wrapped the wire showing with duct tape. I put the cat box, food, and water in the laundry room. The cat could go in his room, thru his own hole, the dog could just watch...the gate was low enough, I could straddle it, without having to take it out all the time.
He's a basset----which means he can climb chain link fences. LOL He's about 4' tall when he stands on his hind legs. Now that he has arthritis, he'll hurt himself trying to climb over gates. His mind hasn't accepted his physical limitations, especially when it comes to food because his food drive is super strong due to being a hound.

But your hole has given me a great idea. Once the kitten is able to go upstairs, I'll have a small cat door installed in a door. The basset will probably get stuck trying to squeeze in but it seems like the best solution for when the kitten is older.

Quote:
Or alternatively, you could cut a hole in a large box for kitten. He can go get his food and water. No dogs allowed. Put box in corner, this will prevent dog from pushing it all over.
You underestimate my basset! He is very determined. He knows how to open drawers, cabinet doors, containers of all sorts, and everything. He would demolish any box that had food in it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My Sam was a Bassett, I bet you pick up a drenched kitten! Sam loved licking his kitten. He also thought cat poop was a delicacy. Which is why I put the cat box out of his reach.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to visualize where the indent is - is it visible or is it behind your furniture now? You could put a baby gate over that opening and either cut her a small hole or teach her how to jump/climb it.
The bottom part isn't visible. I have a sofa sectional in front of it. Just imagine 3' wide built in shelves---literally built in the wall. She can get to it via going under the sofa or behind the sofa. She goes over it too, but if we built the shelving she........hmmmmmmm. That one shelf will need to be removable so we can get the food down there. We'll have to think of a way to keep the basset from moving it. I guess we can latch it down somehow.

Quote:
What about installing a cat door in perhaps your laundry room door - put her goodies in there and shut the door. She can get in, but Mr Basset can't. They do make them for interior doors: PetSafe Deluxe Indoor Cat Door - Doors - Cat - PetSmart
Looking at the dimensions - do you think Mr Basset could fit through this?
I'm liking this idea for when she's old enough to go upstairs. I don't have a laundry room on my first floor.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
My Sam was a Bassett, I bet you pick up a drenched kitten! Sam loved licking his kitten. He also thought cat poop was a delicacy. Which is why I put the cat box out of his reach.
Don't get me started on cat poop! He has always eaten cat poop left in the yard by outdoor cats. I haven't caught him in the litter box YET! He's not licking her yet. She is spending too much time spitting in his face, and he doesn't know what to think about that. He keeps his distance EXCEPT when she has food! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats