Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times

Advertisements

My old gal just turned 24 years old. She's definitely showing her age, but she still plays once in a while. Today she chased a mouse toy on a string for a few feet. She loves to nap in her sun patch, and her favorite winter sleeping spot is next to a heating vent on her blanket. She climbs the stairs every night to sleep with me, and I've moved my mattress over on its platform to create steps for her to get onto my bed. (If I carry her upstairs, she inevitably goes back downstairs and then returns under her own volition. She's independent, that one!). She also wakes me at 3:30 am on the dot every morning my knocking my lamp over so I can feed her. If I open the can of food before bed, she somehow "forgets" it's there. As soon as I show it to her, she starts eating, goes downstairs to drink and use the litter box, then returns upstairs to resume sleeping. She won't drink from the water bowl I've provided upstairs, and neither did she use the upstairs litter pan, so I eventually removed it.

She's had some kidney issues going on for about a year, and on her last vet visit a month ago to clear up a pooping issue (she was having difficulty pooping), the vet noted she has some heart and lung abnormalities starting to present...so every day with her is a blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esnyder1 View Post
I have a 20+ year old cat(we adopted him when he was 4 years old) named Stinker. He lost an ear about 12 years ago (due to rough housing with our German Shephard). We clean his ear daily, as it doesn’t allow the fluid to properly drain from his ear.
Within the last 2 years, he’s lost his vision and has slowed down a lot.
He eats a lot and still loves his “tinky treats”! He still uses the litter box but we have adjusted to a lower ledge box so it’s easier for him to get in and out of.
He sleeps a lot and still loves his butt rubbed and patted. We keep him in a smaller room because of his vision loss so he doesn’t get anxious.
Everyday is special because of his age so we spend as much time with him as we can...
Vet visit in a week for a check up. Gosh, we love our little buddy...

UPDATE: October 7th 2019... our Stinky passed away... heartbroken...

Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Oh nooo!!

Condolences. But making it to 24, you clearly gave him a great life!

RIP Stinky.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
How many posters have a senior cat in their household, over 20 years old? Tell a little about them and the changes you notice as they get further along in years.

I have a 23 year old cat, Ebony... she is a sweet, petite little girl who has enriched my life greatly. In the last 2 years I notice she moves a lot more slowly, sleeps more and seems thinner/bonier. But she eats like a little piggy, still runs through the house yowling carrying her favorite toy
Sounds like your cat has tyroid problems. Our oldest cat ws just tagged with thyrod problems and put on a pill to help her. Get your baby check for thyrod issues .............

Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
^
FYI, that first post was posted 07-15-2013.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,506,352 times
Quote:
So sorry, I can't imagine the sense of loss after all those years together.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Quote:
Very sorry to hear this

But at 24, if I as a human reach 1/2 his age in human yrs, I'll be lucky in this world.

But again my sincere condolences on a family member being with you so long and now missing. You know, Stinky is awaiting you at Rainbow Bridge is what I truly believe will happen. Hope you realize all the love you gave one another.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Quote:
I am so sorry. Please accept my condolences.

Cat

Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I don't know if this is a duplicate post but Frankie lived to almost 22 years. I miss him so very dearly

Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
I've had three cats that lived into their early 20's, and yes they get bony and skinny, but if they are still active and eating, then it's fine. It is when they stop eating, and can't really function much anymore when it is time. I've probably waited a little too long to make the right, but difficult decision, but if they still had some quality of life and weren't suffering I held off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats