Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

If this subject has been posted before, Mods feel free to delete but I could not find it.

So here goes.

Let's share some strange eating habits or foods or unusual ways your cat likes to eat.

Gracie will not eat canned food but she will like the meat clean of gravy if there is any. The high level food such as Innova gives her diarherra and the even fancier WOW does not agree with her.

So much for gormet taste. She likes Nutro, a bit of chicken and anything dairy. She will pick out one piece at a time from her food dish, bring it over to my little kitchen rug, drop it and then eat it. Her Greenies she just scarfs down.

I have to be careful she does not get into my occasional frozen dinner. There is something in them she loves but they can't be good for her.

Oh and she also likes black olives but doesn't have the opportunity to get them because I dislike them so they only come into the house on a pizza or pre-made salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Jasper only licks the gravy too.

He is very vocal when I am eating, and insists on a taste of everything I am eating. He was so thin when I got him, he looks good now. Maybe some people think cats should be thin? He eats Royal Canin dry food, and gets a can of wet food every day. And he gets a slice of whatever I eat for dinner, usually salmon or tilapia. He was very upset with the rice crispies I had the other night, he did not think that was a suitable dinner.

Man, this cat is more and more like my ex every day!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
My two girls like canned for breakfast and dinner and their dry kibble, as a snack only, at night. They get raw meat several times a week. They mainly like the canned chicken and turkey flavors.

The male cat is not so fussy. He'll eat almost anything we put down in the feed bowls.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
tempi is free fed kirkland dry cat (and occasionaly she enjoys dog too lol)
she gets wet food (usually whatever high quality ive got a coupon for each week) she seems to prefer the fish flavors) twice a day
and then about once a week she gets whole raw, usualy either a whole mouse or a whole quail (not wild mouse, there from a snake breeder who breeds his own feeder mice).

Wilow the kitten i kept gets whatever tempi gets though i havent given her raw yet...that wil come very soon though.
she doesnt seem to care what flavor the wet food is lol

Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
I feed Petguard dry food on a dialy basis and add some canned albacore tuna or mackerel to it. He goes nuts for it.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Finn isn't terribly fussy about his food. We give him Nature's Variety grain-free canned mixed with warm water, and he slurps that up with the most noisily deplorable manners you can imagine. He gets a bedtime snack of grain-free Orajen dry (couple tablespoons-full only).

But for treats, his very most favorite thing in the world is a fresh tomato.

Yes, he's a cat. And he loves fresh tomatoes.

Our first clue came the first summer he lived with us. My spouse always plants a tomato garden, usually with terrific success, and he had brought in a dishpan-full of fresh-picked tomatoes. We had had a long day of yard work, so he left it on the kitchen table overnight, figuring that we'd process them up the next morning.

Big mistake.

We got up the next morning to find that fully a third of those tomatoes were gone. There were a few scraps of tomato on the floor, and most of the tomatoes that remained in the pan were decorated with Finn-tooth-marks. And Finn had a tomato-colored chin (he's a classic tuxedo, so his chin is usually white) and was totally disinterested in his breakfast.

Amazingly enough, he never had any digestive consequences to his tomato gorging. And we learned in a hurry to hide the pan-full of tomatoes away in a cabinet, tying the doors closed because that little devil knows how to open them if we don't.

But any time either of us is cutting up tomatoes, whether for a salad, a soup, salsa, or whatever, there is a purring, talkative, tuxedo-clad cat curling round our ankles, stretching up on tiptoe to the counter, and (if he thinks he can get away with it) leaping to a handy shoulder where bites might be snagged.

ETA: it's a bit blurry (he wasn't interested in holding still to pose), but this is Finn getting a treat from the spouse's garden last summer:

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 05-15-2011 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Added photo

Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Fuzzie only eats chicken//turkey FF
Roxie loves any canned flavors
Marlie appears to like dry better but favorite of all are Greenies snacks
Jackie just eats anything.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
The Boy (Top Cat) is very finicky. He circles his dish suspiciously, and gives it a good sniff before he will deign to taste it. If it is something he doesn't want he sits and stares at it mournfully. Deep disappointment and pathos in every line of him.

If it is something he decides to eat he eats with great enjoyment making yummy noises. However he never ever cleans his dish. When he has eaten long enough that the food has all been pushed to one side of the dish he stops and stares at the dish very hard while he waits for me to notice. When I do notice, I must pick up the dish, fluff up the food, and put it up on the top of the Play House. Then I must pat the play house and call to him to come and finish his supper, which, with great dignity, he does.

Second Cat is not finicky but has trained me pretty well. She gets her canned pate in chunks, with water added. She has trained me to drop two or three kibble pieces into the dish before she will eat.

Bottom Cat is not very finicky, but she prefers to eat off the floor, scooping her food out of the dish with her paw. Her favorite way to eat is Chase The Kibble Game.

The kitten will not eat if there is too much in her dish at one time. She does not like her canned food warmed up (the others do) She will not eat her kibble snacks out of a dish, they must be on the floor, or via Chase The Kibble Game.

All four cats are trained to wait at their individual Meal Spots until a dish is put in front of them. I feed slowest eater first, fasted eater last. This works for the most part, except Second Cat has this habit of sneaking in to steal kibble from Slowest Eater while she waits for hers (slowest eater is on a prescription kibble diet, the rest of them eat canned, kibble is snacks only) She can get four or five kibble into her mouth in one quick raid, then she takes them to her own Meal Spot, drops them out and eats them one by one.

Sometimes The Boy feels like being hand fed, so I will sit on the floor and feed him off my fingers.

Feeding takes up a lot of time in this house. I love Feeding times because they all have their little rituals and habits, and it is great bonding time.

Great thread idea!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
As I was reading these I remembered the two Siamese cats I had; Ivan The Terrible and Amanda. Their food habits were not unusual but the way they ate their food was.

I would give them canned food once a day split up in two separate dishes; one for each. They would start out eating each one from each dish but early on, Ivan decided to exert his authority over all and would push his nose into Amanda's dish and nudge her away.

At first she was puzzled. She would sit and stare at him as if trying to figure out how he managed to separate her and her food dish. After a little while, she realized that there were still two dishes and two cats. So she would stick her nose in the dish he left to eat her meal.

Ivan would see this and push her out of that dish. Again, in the beginning Amanda was puzzled that there was no longer an unoccupied food dish in front of her. Then she figured out that Ivan had left the second dish to go back to the first.

It was hysterical to see the look on her face and watch him eat until she figured out that she could eat out of whichever dish Ivan had left. Sometimes they would switch as much as four times during their meal. We called it "The Food Dance."

As the years went by, 18 to be exact, they finally wound up just making one switch. But they had to make that obligatory switch right at the beginning of the meal. I don't think they even remembered why they would do the switch; they just swapped bowls as soon as they began eating.

No doubt about it. Siamese cats are the funniest people!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
catsmom...what a funny meal-time in your home! lol, fluff the food & slow/fast eaters....

exactly how long does feeding time last???

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The Boy (Top Cat) is very finicky. He circles his dish suspiciously, and gives it a good sniff before he will deign to taste it. If it is something he doesn't want he sits and stares at it mournfully. Deep disappointment and pathos in every line of him.

If it is something he decides to eat he eats with great enjoyment making yummy noises. However he never ever cleans his dish. When he has eaten long enough that the food has all been pushed to one side of the dish he stops and stares at the dish very hard while he waits for me to notice. When I do notice, I must pick up the dish, fluff up the food, and put it up on the top of the Play House. Then I must pat the play house and call to him to come and finish his supper, which, with great dignity, he does.

Second Cat is not finicky but has trained me pretty well. She gets her canned pate in chunks, with water added. She has trained me to drop two or three kibble pieces into the dish before she will eat.

Bottom Cat is not very finicky, but she prefers to eat off the floor, scooping her food out of the dish with her paw. Her favorite way to eat is Chase The Kibble Game.

The kitten will not eat if there is too much in her dish at one time. She does not like her canned food warmed up (the others do) She will not eat her kibble snacks out of a dish, they must be on the floor, or via Chase The Kibble Game.

All four cats are trained to wait at their individual Meal Spots until a dish is put in front of them. I feed slowest eater first, fasted eater last. This works for the most part, except Second Cat has this habit of sneaking in to steal kibble from Slowest Eater while she waits for hers (slowest eater is on a prescription kibble diet, the rest of them eat canned, kibble is snacks only) She can get four or five kibble into her mouth in one quick raid, then she takes them to her own Meal Spot, drops them out and eats them one by one.

Sometimes The Boy feels like being hand fed, so I will sit on the floor and feed him off my fingers.

Feeding takes up a lot of time in this house. I love Feeding times because they all have their little rituals and habits, and it is great bonding time.

Great thread idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats