Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 AM

6 posts, read 21,697 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. My friend has asked me to take in his cat because he has lost his house. she is a eleven year old simese. this cat grew up with other cats. but has never been around dogs. I have two small dogs and a young cat. my dogs could care a less about the cat but she stays hidden and I am worried because she is not eaten. however she is an over weight cat. so loosing a few pounds my not hurt her but its been about four nights now. will she ever come out of her shell? what can I do to reasure her that everything is ok. thankyou for any response mrlyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:52 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I have heard that Siamese cats are very dedicated to ONE person. It might take her some time to adjust. Cats in general are like that.

I might make her a place, like your bedroom where the dogs don't go, where she has a litter pan and food and water. That way she can feel safe and come out to see you without fear of the dogs. They can sniff each other under the door.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 AM

I have put her in the spare bedroom. she did come out once and went straight underneath my bed and didn't come out. my other pets all sleep with me so she wont come up on the bed. I eventually had to fish her out and put her in the spare room where her food is at and litter box.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 AM

She needs to spend time with you though in order to feel comfortable with you.

Maybe consider letting her be with you for a week alone in your room and see how she goes. Its good that your dogs scent is in your bedroom, she will be able to get used to it. Poor thing is probably affraid of the dogs and wondering where her master is.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 AM

14 posts, read 100,924 times
I had my cat for four years and he lived as the king of the house during that time. After the four year honeymoon, I brought a puppy into the home. As he started to adapt to the dog, I adopted another cat. It took him a year to COMPLETELY adjust to the new house pets. He was interacting with them in a friendly way after a few weeks. Most important in this situation are the ages of the animals and their temperaments. It does not happen overnight. It will take time. Give it time.

Even though your cat is overweight, remember that it is a small animal and losing a few pounds for a 10-15 lb cat in one or two weeks is as serious as a human being losing 20 lbs in one or two weeks. If the animal loses a few pounds over a short course of time, please take him or her to the vet right away. It can go into shock.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
An overweight cat that does not eat is in more jeopardy then a cat at a good weight that doesn't eat.

Get your hands on some Nutristat NutriStat 4.25oz It will give her a boost, it's high caloric intake and might be what she needs to help her along and get her interested in eating again. Most likely you'll have to put it on her nose, cats clean themselves and she won't like it there, she's not going to take it willingly

Her entire world has been upset and she's not gong to take it lightly

Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
This has been very tramatic for that poor baby. Not only did she loose her home but she is in another place with someone she don't know and other creatures that horrify her. You need to spend a lot of time in that room with her, gentley talking to her and getting her use to the sound of your voice and you. Keep those dogs away from her. She has to accept where she is before dealing with them. Could you sleep in there with her now and then? Poor baby, I feel so sorry for her.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 PM

I adopted a cat that had been abused by his previous owners, I had two cats of my own when this cat came to live with me. I set him up in my bedroom and the other two cats had the rest of my small apartment.

The new kitty hid under the bed until I got in bed and turned out the light, then he would sneak under the covers with me and curl up too sleep. He would play footsy with my other two boys under the door from time to time.

I later changed things around where my two were the ones in my bedroom and the new kitty out in the apartment. I was told this is how they get used to the other cat, by smelling their scent. It took me a little bit but they were very close and the poor abused kitty came right out of his shell.

People who had known him in his previous situation would come over and see him and be shocked at how different he was.

It can be done, you just have to have patience and spend some time with the new kitty.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Thankyou for all the advice, I did however get her to eat, maybe she was a little spoiled because I cooked up some meat for her and she ate that. she still is not eating the cat food and I did notice she is using the litter box now. she still wont come near the other animals. I have been spending alot of time with her in the spare room. and when I go to bed I will pick her up and lay her beside me, until I fall asleep thats when she will crawl under the bed. and then before I go to work I will put her back in the spare room where her food and water is. I think a good sign is she is sarting to purr around me now. Once we get past this I would like to put her on a diet. whats the best way to do that? I don't think it is healthy for her to be so over weight.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Sounds like she's coming along nicely and that's good news. It's not easy to get an overweight cat to lose weight, particularly in a multi-animal household where they can steal food from other animals' plates (!) but if she doesn't like the cat food you're offering then that's fine because she'll eat when she's hungry but not overindulge. And once she gets to know your other animals she'll probably get some exercise playing with them, which is even better. Cheers and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats