Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

218 posts, read 544,395 times

Advertisements

And so, I've had a few cats over the years but really it was only once in a blue moon that I'd bathe them. Both were domestic shorthairs and indoor kitties. Except for when they got into something or had a personal 'accident', I never really bathed them over the 18 years that I had both of them. They each lived to a ripe old age, shiny, soft-furred, and sweet smelling albeit, in truth, I'm not sure how clean. :O

Fast forward to the present - I now have three recent feral adoptees. All are once again short-haired but it seems like they get a little dustier than the others I had. Perhaps it's their darker fur which seems to show it more. I have bathed them only once and all of the experiences were quite literally akin to tragic comedies. More traumatic for me than for them but definitely not an enjoyable experience. The yowling broke my heart. Not sure how often I want to put me or them through all of that.

Which brings me to my questions - should I bath them? How often? Is it necessary?

And if so, does anyone recommend a particular shampoo/cleanser?

Thanks in advance for all of the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM

451 posts, read 769,701 times
Cats are self-cleaning. I've never bathed any of the eight cats I've had (over time, not all at once).

Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I bathe Jasper once a year. He looks cleaner, and is more fluffy.

But, he is not feral. I don't see the drama worth it to bathe a feral. Unless they are flea infested.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I think mostly it's better not to bathe cats, unless something happens that necessitates it. I may be wrong but I think too much bathing may result in their skin getting dryer, even if it may clean the fur a bit.

Amber gave me no reasons to bathe her ever in 17 years that I can remember, except perhaps one of the times that she soiled her carrier on the way to the vet, I think it was. There was once, I'm pretty sure of that. I didn't do it, my SO did the bathing, and that was already several years back, so I don't remember why. But right up to the end she would groom herself and remained pretty clean with no unusual odor. Well, she smelled a bit of cat food towards the end because we did some syringe feeding and we and she didn't always get it all off her. But she always groomed herself after.

A cat should be pretty self-cleaning most of the time, and if they change that habit it can be sign of a problem.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
I had to give a medicated bath twice a week for four weeks for one of my cats due to a horrible skin infection. It was awful and, other than for some medical reason, I'd never bathe a cat again.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM

258 posts, read 421,892 times
My cats all bathe themselves (and at time each other) just fine and like your previous experience and others the only exceptions being rare occasions where they get into something or whatnot. I have read, though, that some cats don't learn to clean themselves if their mothers don't groom them adequately as kittens.

If you feel they aren't cleaning themselves adequately I would suggest trying wipes and see if they do the trick. Not only would it be less stressful andless likely to lead to them freaking out, but it is more similar to the way they would naturally be cleaning themselves.

~Katy

Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I bathed the kitten I adopted a few years ago immediately when I got him home because he smelled like the cat lady's house. So much stench from such a tiny creature! He was furious, and I think it might have set the tone for our adversarial relationship.

But bathe my semi-feral 14-year-old house cat? Oh hells to the no! I've had her for 12 years, and she has JUST started to let me pick her up without going completely bat****.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Show cats are bathed I think but other than that I don't see any reason to bathe a cat on a regular basis unless there's a medical issue that requires it. I think it might even cause skin problems for some kitties since they groom themselves, you might want to check with a vet and/or groomer. I've had cats all my life and very rarely had to bathe any, only when they got into something that required it and yup it was dramatic. I was sure my neighbors would call animal control or 9-1-1 thinking someone was being murdered. Unless you have a Turkish Van most kitties like to LOOK at water not be in it =D

Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM

400 posts, read 750,126 times
I don't bathe the cats. The exception is the 22 year old but I don't put her in water. I use a very wet cloth and wipe her all over. She really likes it and the grand finale for her is wiping her butt since she can't reach it anymore.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
The only times I have ever had a cat bathed is when I adopted kitties who previously lived outside. Before I would allow any of them to live inside the house with my other cats - they first had to have a vet check-up with shots and testing for Feline Leukemia, etc., then they went to the groomer for a bath. At that time I still had my little Pomeranian baby girl - Cassie - who regularly got her hair "done". My groomer had a gal who specialized in cats - and after they got home, dry, rested, and clean, I'm sure they felt better - I know I did!!! You never know what is growing in that fur - fleas, mites, etc. and I didn't want an infestation of anything. The second time was when I had 5 kitties and still had Cassie (she went over the Rainbow bridge in August of 2007 shortly after I lost my Dad), there was a hot spell which resulted in a bumper crop of fleas. Apparently when I took Cassie outside to potty several hitched a ride into the house and before long the cats were itching. Not long after that, I was itching. I called the groomer and made bath appointments for everyone - and while the house was empty - I closed it up and set off several flea bombs. After the required time, I went home to open the house and air it out - and also I had bought Frontline for everybody. Flea problem was resolved and other than that, my cats don't have or need baths.
I learned this little gem when I was about 8 years old - kitty cats DO NOT LIKE to go to the car wash!!! My brother was taking his car through the auto wash in preparation for a hot date. I begged to tag along, and of course Snowball wanted to go too (she was not aware of this, however). I was holding her in my fat little arms - and then the brush started rolling over the roof of the car. She bellowed like nothing I had ever heard in my life - and all her claws came unsheathed. She climbed me like a tree - leaving a bloody trail in her wake. I got a bath after that - but she did not!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats