Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

Charlie.

First I put his little litter box inside a bigger one to try and contain the flying litter. Then KK started using it also, and his fat butt could barely fit.

I just started using the big box and I didn't think Charlie would be able to play the fling games from that one, but he can.

SO doesn't really want his litterbox upstairs in the first place, but I am not trying to encourage him to use the stairs, and neither is he.

Charlie makes it to the 2nd stair and will not go any further.

SO has these industrial type containers that he uses for litter boxes. They are a dark grey color. He ordered another one and it was delivered yesterday. Charlie gets in it just fine. I would say it is ten inches deep.

I am pretty sure SO vacuumed the office floor yesterday before he put this new one down and there is litter everywhere again.

I have no idea how Charlie is slinging the litter all over the place! I do not want to use a covered litterbox, I don't think it is good for kitties. Does anyone else have any ideas? I think one of those litter boxes with a top may work that just creates an edge around the top of the box, but I am not sure, and the way he sends litter flying, I doubt it.

Maybe I can place some kind of screen around the box which will give him privacy as well as keep the litter from flying and I can just move it when I need to clean the box.

Right now he is laying on top of the litter container like he is on Pride Rock and is King of the Jungle. KK thinks he is nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM

218 posts, read 544,395 times
I had the same issue with flying litter. I ended up trying a mega-sized covered box with a door but the alpha kitty would literally guard the entrance and when the smaller/meeker cat would come out, she would pounce and all Hades would break loose. So then Meek kitty started eliminating outside of the box. A sad situation indeed.

Second solution: a large high sided (3 sides enclosed) litter box from Wal-Mart - quite literally 24" tall. This seems to contain 95% of the litter...... : )))))) I use a dust buster/broom to get the rest. This seems to work the best.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Hi Pik!!! I feel for ya, truly I do. I have a couple of furkids who like to fling litter which in turn makes me want to fling them, sometimes!!! I have been shopping for new boxes for a couple of weeks and we have both open boxes and closed ones. Some of the kids prefer one or the other for some reason. None of my enclosed ones have the swinging clear door on them - I take them off when I buy a new box. If you put up a privacy screen, I think the only thing that will happen is you won't immediately see all the litter that needs to be vacuumed - until you walk around the screen! Cats don't really need privacy to make a mess - I have discovered. They will look you in the face while making a mess. Happens every day here!!! I think a jumbo sized open box with a detachable rim might help you and I am attaching a link for you to look at to see what I mean: Catit litter Pan with Rim|Cat Litter Box
This particular one has good reviews, and if a person uses liners it holds them in place (I don't use liners any more - they just get shredded). Years ago when I was single and didn't have so many - the open boxes with rims were all I used and it helped tremendously - along with sitting the boxes on a litter mat (actually a cheapie runner rug that was machine washable - I used to find them at Walmart). I realize SO just bought a new box, but if it doesn't work out as a litter box then it just doesn't. He can use it for something else. I have a hard time finding the jumbo sized boxes at stores sometimes - and most of my kids are fatties - so I buy the biggest ones I can find!! I have bought off Dr. F/S before and they are reputable - not sure what else besides Petsmart is in your area. You might check Petco, or some other place, but the rimmed ones might be what you are needing. As always - wishing you and the kids the best!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi Pik!!! I feel for ya, truly I do. I have a couple of furkids who like to fling litter which in turn makes me want to fling them, sometimes!!! I have been shopping for new boxes for a couple of weeks and we have both open boxes and closed ones. Some of the kids prefer one or the other for some reason. None of my enclosed ones have the swinging clear door on them - I take them off when I buy a new box. If you put up a privacy screen, I think the only thing that will happen is you won't immediately see all the litter that needs to be vacuumed - until you walk around the screen! Cats don't really need privacy to make a mess - I have discovered. They will look you in the face while making a mess. Happens every day here!!! I think a jumbo sized open box with a detachable rim might help you and I am attaching a link for you to look at to see what I mean: Catit litter Pan with Rim|Cat Litter Box
This particular one has good reviews, and if a person uses liners it holds them in place (I don't use liners any more - they just get shredded). Years ago when I was single and didn't have so many - the open boxes with rims were all I used and it helped tremendously - along with sitting the boxes on a litter mat (actually a cheapie runner rug that was machine washable - I used to find them at Walmart). I realize SO just bought a new box, but if it doesn't work out as a litter box then it just doesn't. He can use it for something else. I have a hard time finding the jumbo sized boxes at stores sometimes - and most of my kids are fatties - so I buy the biggest ones I can find!! I have bought off Dr. F/S before and they are reputable - not sure what else besides Petsmart is in your area. You might check Petco, or some other place, but the rimmed ones might be what you are needing. As always - wishing you and the kids the best!!!
I was just thinking the screen could keep it from being dispersed all over the room and us stepping on it. I hate hate hate stepping on cat litter and I really don't want to have to clean it up 70 million times a day.

Charlie is such a boogie but you can't help but love him!

That looks like a good litterbox if this one doesn't work. Thank you for the link.

I have PetsMart and PetCo out here, Wal Mart and Target. I have a bit of everything as we are in Northern Virginia.

I'll get something figured out. Thankfully J is being ok w the litter box being in our office. It is always kept clean, but when Charlie drops the bomb in there while we are in here it is a serious stinky situation, lol

Charlie pretending to be a squirrel.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM

This looks like it would work too:

Arm & Hammer Litter Pans

Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
I recently bought some thick bath rugs at TJ Maxx. They are cotton and just the right size to put next to the litter box. Because they are so thick, they really catch the litter well.

I also have a broom nearby because someone always zooms out of the box and litter flies into the air. Sigh.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM

218 posts, read 544,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Arm & Hammer Litter Pans
That's the one that I have....and it works fabulously. I have one in a bathroom and one in the cat's room (how lucky they are!).
As for liners - actually use the large heavy duty Glad black trash bags as liners....and then just cinch them up and throw it out.
My three cats are all still clawed and it's rare that they claw through.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Arm & Hammer Litter Pans

That one looks like a doozie....how'd I miss that one??? One thing to check though - where the box and the rim join needs to be a very snug fit and also not low enough that when they pee it runs between the box and rim and puddles on the floor behind and under the box. Pewewwww. I would rather see it upfront than to find it on accident (right...like anything that happens at my house is an accident!!!)

Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
That's the one that I have....and it works fabulously. I have one in a bathroom and one in the cat's room (how lucky they are!).
As for liners - actually use the large heavy duty Glad black trash bags as liners....and then just cinch them up and throw it out.
I think it looks like a good option if the new one we have doesn't work out. I've never used liners. I have some downstairs and have never even opened the box.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
That one looks like a doozie....how'd I miss that one??? One thing to check though - where the box and the rim join needs to be a very snug fit and also not low enough that when they pee it runs between the box and rim and puddles on the floor behind and under the box. Pewewwww. I would rather see it upfront than to find it on accident (right...like anything that happens at my house is an accident!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
OcalaLiving, do you have that problem with anything coming out through the rim? It looks like it would be high enough that it wouldn't to me, but I am not looking at it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats