U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,356,363 times

Advertisements

I was gonna ask this question last week, and simply forgot, that is until this past weekend. Our little kitty has recently decided to sharpen her claws on our leather furniture. I do not want to have her declawed at all, thats out of the picture. My question is, is there anything that one can wipe on the furniture to keep the cat from clawing it up? She knows she not supposed to, and doesnt when Im watching her-lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,358,698 times
Keep A Squirt Bottle Handy And Squirt Her With Water (aim For The Head) Everytime She Gets Near The Couch (also Say No Or Make A Ruckus While Squirting)

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM

61,292 posts, read 82,185,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was gonna ask this question last week, and simply forgot, that is until this past weekend. Our little kitty has recently decided to sharpen her claws on our leather furniture. I do not want to have her declawed at all, thats out of the picture. My question is, is there anything that one can wipe on the furniture to keep the cat from clawing it up? She knows she not supposed to, and doesnt when Im watching her-lol.
my kitty put the claws to my antique chest of drawers when i locked her in the closet for waking me up by jumping on my face every 20 minutes form midnight to 6 am. this won her a all expense free 1 way vacation package to montana when my friends moved there. you got rep.

yes cruel, heartless, catless, petless
but i sleep good
home alone

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

good idea..i think shes doing quite a bit of it when no ones at home though.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM

24,669 posts, read 65,601,246 times
Hartz, for one, makes a product called "OFF" which works well. You just spray the product onto a piece of material and stick it on the furniture. The product isn't obnoxious to humans but cats hate it. At the same time, give your cat a scratching post, spread some catnip around it and praise her when she uses it. She'll get the hang of it.

Squirting with a water bottle obviously isn't going to work because your cat is doing it when you're not home! Cheers!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM

22,525 posts, read 32,452,084 times
I use No Stay, I got it from either Petco or Petsmart, I spray it on my leather and it did not hurt the furniture as much as the cat did I also put scratching post next to the couch and love seat. She still does it, but not as often. And I will never declaw my cat either. She also clawed the drawers on the dresser and chest of drawers and I opened the draws and put hands towels over the draws and that stopped that. It looks funny, but she doesn't claw it anymore. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 AM

thank you all for the answers...going to Petco today!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,358,698 times
does your cat have a scratching post? maybe you could confine her (away from the room with the couch) while you are away until she gets the message that the couch is off limits.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:42 PM

324 posts, read 1,221,771 times
There are a couple of solutions. Cats naturally want to scratch and it sounds like she does not have an adequate place for this. The material for scratching is very important, if you have a carpeted scratching post this is often not very appealing for most cats. The best materials for scratching are sisal rope, bark, corrugated cardboard, and lastly is upholstery. If you currently have a post that is carpeted you can easily modify this by getting some sisal from Home Depot (super cheap) and using a staple gun to attatch it.

Another thing to keep in mind, when she scratches your furniture, is she scratching horizontally or vertically? Some cats have a preference and all cats like to stretch out their entire body to scratch. If the post you have is to short they will not find it appealing, and if your cat prefers to scratch upright or horizontal this could impact whether a post is used or not.

Next you need to think about location. A scratching post that is out of the way will not be used, cats like to mark their territory especially in the busiest areas of the house. We spend a lot of time in the living room and so will the cat. The post you have needs to be in a prominant area of the living room.

The easiest cheapest fix would be to buy some fresh catnip and corrugated cardboard from Petsmart/Co, and set it next to the area she is currently scratching. Use the catnip on the carboard to attract her to it. See if you can entice her to use it by playing with a toy around the cardboard (I love the ball & track toys with cardboard in the middle, its always used by our cats). If your lucky she will take to it and like it more than the sofa, especially if you make the sofa unnappealing as others have mentioned. Another possibility in that regard is to use double sided tape on the sofa, kitties don't like sticky things :P .

A very last alternative if things just aren't working or to help break the habit is Soft Paws (little plastic sheathe for each claw). We used these on a kitten who thought all humans were trees that must be climbed. We only used them for about 4 or 5 months so the habit was broken. Often you only need to apply them to the front paws and can be done pretty easily with two people (one to apply and one to hold). The older your cat is, the more difficult it will be to adjust and they almost always chew them off the first couple applications. It takes some dedication to make them work but long-term cats can adjust to them. Also for a fee the vet can apply them for you. You can get Soft Paws at any of the big pet stores and the vets office.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 21,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my kitty put the claws to my antique chest of drawers when i locked her in the closet for waking me up by jumping on my face every 20 minutes form midnight to 6 am. this won her a all expense free 1 way vacation package to montana when my friends moved there. you got rep.

yes cruel, heartless, catless, petless
but i sleep good
home alone
Why the hell did you get the cat in the first place? You're obviously not an animal lover. The cat doesn't know any better. It's their way of showing affection or trying to get your attention. They can't tell time. I can definitely see why you're alone; you certainly deserve to be. I take satisfaction in knowing that one day, you will pay for your cruelty in one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats