Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM

308 posts, read 680,163 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow cat lovers!

We have a sweet 5 month old Ragdoll kitten that we just love to death. However, since we've had our kitty, my wife has since become pregnant. Now ofcourse, the issue of toxoplasmosis has become relevant. The kitten was adopted from a reputable breeder and is strictly kept indoors and is fed only dry and canned cat food and never any table scraps. I am the only one that cleans the litter. Should we still have a toxoplasmosis test done even though the chances of our kitten having toxo are virtually zero. I may be paranoid, but I guess it would give me peace of mind if we had the test done. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
Hello fellow cat lovers!

We have a sweet 5 month old Ragdoll kitten that we just love to death. However, since we've had our kitty, my wife has since become pregnant. Now ofcourse, the issue of toxoplasmosis has become relevant. The kitten was adopted from a reputable breeder and is strictly kept indoors and is fed only dry and canned cat food and never any table scraps. I am the only one that cleans the litter. Should we still have a toxoplasmosis test done even though the chances of our kitten having toxo are virtually zero. I may be paranoid, but I guess it would give me peace of mind if we had the test done. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Gary
Have the test done if it'll make you feel better. I went through my pregnancy with a young cat and had no problem. I simply washed my hands really well after scooping the litter as my Dr. told me to do. Now I'm a granny and still wash my hands after handling anything to do with the litter pans - just as I would after using the toilet.

You may want to check this out.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Toxoplasmosis

Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I totally agree. Your doctor is the best place for this kind of advice. Keep your hands and the box clean for kitty and your two legged family. Good luck to you.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

308 posts, read 680,163 times
Thanks guys! We'll have the kitty tested just for peace of mind.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Just tell your wife to stay away from cat feces and she should be fine. You get to scoop the litter for the next few months!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 16,162 times
Just posting in case anyone looks this up in the future.. My kitty tested positive for toxoplasmosi when I was pregnant. The only reason we had him tested was because he got very sick and it turned out this was the culprit. The only time they shed the toxo through their feces is when they are having an active case of it (which would be 2 weeks before you even notice symptoms). My cat was born with it. My husband changed the litterbox until after our daughter was born and did so again when I was pregnant. If it would make you feel better to know, then I would do it. Definitely don't let a pregnant woman change the litterbox. Most people have been exposed at some point and are immune, so it may be a good bet to have yourself tested for immunity.. It can be in sandboxes, gardens, etc.. So just because your cat doesn't have it does not mean you will not get exposed.. Sorry so long..

Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 PM

157 posts, read 587,499 times
no need to get kitty tested.IMO. even if kitty would test positive, just need to be sure she is extra vigilant with washing. to be on the very safe side you can do the littler box scooping for a few months...can get toxo from handling raw meat even more easily..

Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Initial inquiry was made 2 years ago---but if asked I would say just stay away from litter box and pregnant woman should tell husband doctor said she can't change litter for first 5 years of baby's life.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Initial inquiry was made 2 years ago---but if asked I would say just stay away from litter box and pregnant woman should tell husband doctor said she can't change litter for first 5 years of baby's life.
Actually, No Kudzu, I think the latest research says until the last child has completed their post doctoral work.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
^^^works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats