Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,593 times

Advertisements

My gorgeous ginger cat has taken to occasionally peeing on the bed. Once a fortnight but I think he's come close a few times when I've managed to shoo him off in time. He doesn't do it in the night, usually if I go upstairs in the afternoon and just flop down for a few minutes. He targets me as much as the bed so I'm guessing it's behaviour rather than an infection. The rest of the time he happily uses his litter tray. I've taken him to the vet who said he was a healthy boy. We do have a bit of a bruiser of a cat that he's scared of and I'm wondering if that is having an impact. Any ideas as to how I can snap him out of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM

258 posts, read 421,667 times
Is he neutered? This kind of behavior is most common in cats that aren't neutered.

Even if he is neutered, he is marking his territory. Whether that be you or the bed. Which makes a lot of sense with the other cat and him not being buddy buddy, this guy needs his own space and the bed is what he has chosen (or you!) You could try feliway in your bedroom. It can be a little expensive but it could work.

You could also see if you can find any suggestions from similar kitties on Jackson Galaxy's site Spraying | Jackson Galaxy

~Katy

Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I suspect that its the other cat. If they share a litter box not only would I get him 'his own' i would try to position it somewhere he doesn't have to cross the the line of sight of the other cat. I.e. if the other cat is downstairs and he is upstairs, he can use the box upstairs. Or if the other cat is in the living room and he has to cross that to get to the box from the bedroom, put a box somewhere before having to cross the living room. Give him options for avoiding the other cat.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Jackson deals with this all the time. It's the bully cat.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My cat was doing that and both the vet and I think it was due to a stray/feral who was targeting him from outside.

I think that is probably what is causing the behavior. We took measures to try and rid of those cats outside and he was also put on an anti biotic. His urine came back abnormal. He was stressed into a UTI.

I think you need to work on the behavior of both of your cats, but especially the bully cat and things will get better.

I am hoping the dr checked him for infection.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM

18 posts, read 30,304 times
It's the bully cat. She needs a place where she can pee and not feel threatened. My old Siamese used to pee on the bed because she knew if she went to the box, she'd be ambushed. She took a liking to hanging out in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, so i put a cat bed in there for her and she'd happily sleep in there. She'd paw the cabinet door open and sneak in there, and Squid (the monster kitty) wouldn't bother her. The first time she peed on the kitchen floor, I bought a small kitten sized litter box and put it in the cabinet next to her. Problem solved. It wasn't the most ideal place for a litterbox, but I didn't really have another option. She was an old lady and I wanted her to be happy in her final years - and she was RIP my sweet KarmaGoo.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
what a beautiful kitty.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Also if they go other than their normal place; suspect bladder infection.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejupiter View Post
It's the bully cat. She needs a place where she can pee and not feel threatened. My old Siamese used to pee on the bed because she knew if she went to the box, she'd be ambushed......
You probably know by now that there should be one box per cat and a spare. They should not be placed close together. At times our Zebulon doesn't want Zephyr using his favorite litterbox. She goes into the office or back bathroom to use one of the other boxes and they're both happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats