Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:15 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times

Advertisements

Is he neutered? Change in hormonal status in an unneutered/unspayed cat could affect appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Yes, of course he's neutered.
I just thought of something. He has a tendency to steal food from plates. He likes to grab a slice of pizza or a hot ear of buttered corn and take off. Maybe he just burned his mouth? Maybe that's all it is, and now he's getting better? Here's hoping that's all it is.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I really can't afford a battery of tests right now. He does seem to be on the mend, albeit slowly.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
My friend's cat had shown signs of not eating as much as normal. They switched the cat to wet food, but it never really improved over several months. The cat appeared in severe distress one day, after months of this, and they took him to the vet. Turned out he had a tumor in his mouth making it hard for him to eat. It was cancer and they ended up having to put him down that day.

I did not tell my friend this, but I thought she should have taken him to the vet sooner. She is not as sentimental about her pets as I tend to be, though, and this cat was older, so she didn't have a sense of urgency about it.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
My friend's cat had shown signs of not eating as much as normal. They switched the cat to wet food, but it never really improved over several months. The cat appeared in severe distress one day, after months of this, and they took him to the vet. Turned out he had a tumor in his mouth making it hard for him to eat. It was cancer and they ended up having to put him down that day.

I did not tell my friend this, but I thought she should have taken him to the vet sooner. She is not as sentimental about her pets as I tend to be, though, and this cat was older, so she didn't have a sense of urgency about it.
Like I said, if he doesn't continue to improve, I'll take him in, definitely. He's family.
He's much better than he was over the weekend. I was really worried.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I just wanted to mention that story- probably doesn't apply to your cat, but you never know- I actually was pretty devastated when I found about my friend's cat- all I could think about was this poor kitty with a painful tumor in his mouth and no way of telling his owner that it hurt too much to eat - just made me so sad!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
One thing I have to ask, what does your vet feel about the odd diet your cat eats ? You mention cabbage and stuff like that, is the vet ok with that ? Reason I ask is that one cat we had years ago loved tuna so I had her on a diet of canned tuna. When I took her in for a vet visit I mentioned that and the vet said I was killing her as tuna is hard for cats to digest in the form we eat it as humans.

Just curious.

Don

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing I have to ask, what does your vet feel about the odd diet your cat eats ? You mention cabbage and stuff like that, is the vet ok with that ? Reason I ask is that one cat we had years ago loved tuna so I had her on a diet of canned tuna. When I took her in for a vet visit I mentioned that and the vet said I was killing her as tuna is hard for cats to digest in the form we eat it as humans.

Just curious.

Don
It's not a diet I encourage. He's a thief. He's extremely active and spends a great deal of time jumping around and thundering up and down the stairs. Because he burns off so many calories, he's always hungry. I leave a bowl of kibble to graze on in addition to his two full meals a day, but he still steals. The vet told me to try to keep him away from that stuff, but he's really smart. He's learned how to open the trash can and how to get the butter out of the very complicated sliding-mechanism butter dish. He once whipped a sausage right out of the frying pan when I went to answer the phone and buried it in a rolled-up carpet I had, for later, in case he gets hungry.
I brought home some stale date squares for the birds and he ate those too, because I forgot to put them away.
I've never seen anything like it. All my other cats only ate Friskies and would turn up their noses at people food.
No, he doesn't have worms. We checked.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
..... Reason I ask is that one cat we had years ago loved tuna so I had her on a diet of canned tuna. When I took her in for a vet visit I mentioned that and the vet said I was killing her as tuna is hard for cats to digest in the form we eat it as humans.
People tuna is also lacking in taurine, something cats can't live without.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
You may want to look into pet health insurance. There is also a credit card for vet issues. Its called Care One Credit. Just letting you know since you are in a financial pinch. Taking them to the vet now will be a lot less cheaper than an emergency vet visit.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Well, it seems like Sushi has made a full recovery. As some of you know, I feed an elderly, blind homeless cat. He also seems to have trouble chewing so I get the cheapest no-name wet food I can find. He didn't finish his breakfast, and when I let Sushi out on his leash, he bolted towards the remaining food and wolfed it all down.
I'm so glad I didn't spend a grand on diagnostic tests. He probably ate some crap that didn't agree with him or burned his mouth.
What a relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats