Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

I just want some advice really, so my cat has gone missing for the past week now on occasions he does decide to stay out and about for a few days but never this long. We live on a apartment/block of flats where he can only go on ours and the neighbours balcanies the drop to ground level is a bit of a long way down so I don't know if he can make that jump. The only thing I can think of is that he's at a neighbours dwelling, and funnily enough there is a neignour that he goes to regularly but the tennant said that the cat isn't there...

Any advice on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
My cats were born and raised in the Alaska wilds. When I moved back east for awhile and lived in an apartment complex, one cat jumped off the balcony with regularity (she saw the forest). I would go out and look for her in the vicinity. She had learned the smells of the balcony of 'home' and would try to find her way back. That meant climbing the 'fire exit' stairs and going to a neighbor's balcony where there was an ingress or she would be sitting on a landing. Eventually, I found out where she was jumping from and put up barriers.

I would scour the region, call his name and listen and listen. Hopefully, you will hear a meow! Also, a can of food opening or a shake of a bag of dried food while calling his name may help. Remember to listen and listen again and be patient.

I hope you get your kitty back!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
My cat, who is 8 yo can still jump from the porch railing to the roof...or shimmy up a palm tree and leap to the roof. She use to disappear for days at a time, now she only goes out to do her business, and back in she is, complete turnaround for her.

I would put some of his favorite food on the porch, call his name and see what happens. I hope that you see him soon. I would be worried to.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Blaliko wasn't born feral, but had been stray for quite some time before finding me two years ago. Condemnations from a faction of C-D'ers notwithstanding, she's still allowed to be an indoor/outdoor cat. (We live in a city neighborhood where most of the bird life is invasive nuisance species and many of the rodents are Norway rats. So any kills she and her daughter Seteria make are no loss to the ecosystem.) Except during the colder months of winter, Blaliko has been known to vanish for 3-8 days on a whim. I say she's keeping up old contacts and collecting debts. Yesterday morning she made her typical unceremonious return after having not been seen since Tuesday. She has the smarts necessary to survive - a healthy respect for moving vehicles and the willingness to physically attack dogs of all sizes (yes!) Plus our local community is cat-friendly to the extent of leaving food on porches when no feline is in residence. So while I go through the anxieties of your typical pet parent, by the same token Blaliko has trained me well enough that I no longer print/e-mail/phone around when she goes missing.

Odds are your cat is perfectly safe and sound, just "sowing some oats" and exploring the larger world. My hope is that he has a microchip ID if not a collar with tags. Particularly if this is not the case, post flyers in lobbies and on utility poles and make calls to animal shelters. Blaliko is the heiress apparent to Weasie, who owned me for 19 years and had a knack for finding friendly and unfamiliar people to tell sob stories to. Her notoriety was such that the entire "Animal Commission" in our city of some 105,000 persons knew her by description. ("A friendly, hungry, and very talkative cat followed us home last night." "What's the cat look like?" "She's a gray tabby with a white chin..." "That's Weasie.") At times horror stories are told of a small deranged subset of subhumans that delights in harming pets, but not once did Weasie ever meet bad fortune at the hands of anyone. Neither have my current "grrrlz." I don't suppose the OP's fugitive feline has, or will, either. And on an "up" note, my not offering a reward never prevented tips about Weeze from being phoned in or her being reunited with me. So don't feel the need to advertise one.

Keep us posted! Plenty of positive thoughts and energy are being sent across the "pond."

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

Odds are your cat is perfectly safe and sound, just "sowing some oats" and exploring the larger world. My hope is that he has a microchip ID if not a collar with tags. Particularly if this is not the case, post flyers in lobbies and on utility poles and make calls to animal shelters....

Keep us posted! Plenty of positive thoughts and energy are being sent across the "pond."
Thanks for the encouragement and sound advice!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I can't help but feel sad and thinking the worst.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I hope your kitty comes back soon. I would be a basket case if any of mine went missing.

Is there any way you can make him an indoor-only kitty if he makes it back? I know that outdoor kitties are very common in the UK but when we lose them it is so, so, so, so devastating.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM

I knocked all the neighbours doors and he's still missing.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I hope your cat turns up. It is really distressing when they go missing and you don't know what has happened. Is your cat microchipped?

One of my cats went missing for about 3 days and turned up as fat as ever.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Jeez, I am so sorry, sending positive vibes your way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats