Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times

Advertisements

My darling Mittens is OBSESSED with treats. No matter where I hide them, he can find them. This wasn't too much of an issue when he was still really little, but now that he is bigger (he is five months old now), he can get up on the counters and climb on just about anything.

I used to put the pack of treats on my nightstand since I like to give them treats when I get up in the morning and again before I go to bed, but twice I came home and found the pack on the floor, ripped in to and all of the treats gone.

I started hiding them under my pillow, but Mittens is a clever kitten and quickly figured that out.

Link to video of my brat trying to dig them out of my pillow case.

After that, I started putting them on the shelf in my bedroom closet, but Mittens would try to climb up my clothes to get to them.

Next I tried putting them in a cabinet in the kitchen, but Mittens will stand there ALL day trying to open the cabinet door. I wouldn't mind that at all, except for the fact that we live in an apartment and it makes a lot of noise as he bangs around.

Lastly, I put them in a drawer in the kitchen, but came in to find him hanging from the rim of the top of the drawer because he was trying to climb up/get in.

I have considered putting them in the bathroom and shutting and locking the door, but like the kitchen cabinet, I know it will make a lot of noise as he tries to break in all day.

I thought about putting them in the oven while I'm away, but I'm afraid I may turn the oven on to preheat without remembering the treats are in there and burn the place down.

The refrigerator is really the only place I have found that "works" but poor John, the other kitten, doesn't like his treats when they are cold and I hate to make him suffer due to the other kitten's obsession.

Any suggestions on other places to hide that won't endanger Mitten as he climbs around or make too much noise for my neighbors?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM

218 posts, read 544,341 times
I switched the treats from the bag they came in to a Rubbermaid plastic container with a screw cap. I keep one on the kitchen counter and one on the nightstand. The cats still climb and know what container the treats are in but they just can't rip it to shreds like the bags. AND the they can roll it around as much as they want and still not get into it nor break it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times
Thanks for the excellent idea!!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM

400 posts, read 750,056 times
This is one they can't open and it's heavy. I suppose they could drag it off but have never tried.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times
Funny video! Cats are the most determined creature on earth. How about something that is air tight and see how that works, maybe a rubbermaid type container?

When I have something that's not suitable for the refrigerator I put it in the microwave in a plastic container. The kitties and dogs don't counter surf but the ants often visit particularly when it rains so I don't leave anything on the counters.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Naughty kitty!

Thanks for the video.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:29 PM

258 posts, read 421,847 times
Yep I think a good solid jar is the best bet. There's also the storage ottoman idea, or the microwave, but yeah a nice sturdy jar or cannister could do the trick!

~Katy

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
I was going to suggest the fridge but that won't work for you.

I agree the jar is the best idea but hopefully he doesn't see you taking them out of the jar and try to knock it over! These cats are too much.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
All of our cats have loved Whisker Lickins but have waited patiently for me to had them out. Not our newest one, Daisy, she helps herself ! I came home one day and found a clawed open bag laying on the floor where she had gotten it off the counter and served herself. Then she got the plastic bottle of them off the counter and got the lid off of it too.

When I give the 3 of them their treats I have to put down a bunch in front of the other two cats and then slowly dole out one at a time to her because she will eat all hers fast and then eat theirs too. She is just a bad cat, but too cute to not like.

Don

Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Cute. Aren't they just determined little rascals? I had a folk art Santa Claus, with a handful of wheat in his hand, no matter where I put that Santa, Mickey would get it, and rip the wheat out of his hand.

I once had it on a very high shelf, he basically had to leap straight up from the floor, to a seven foot shelf to get to it...and, he would stare intently at that Santa...and one day...there he was, right on that shelf, ripping the wheat from the Santa...

Amazing what they can get into when they try...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats