Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

I noticed a long time ago that Zephyr's coat was never as soft and shiny as the other cat's coats. But now it's getting duller and I'm noticing dandruff. Today when I brushed her - a lot of dandruff. She eats what the other 3 eat. These are indoor only cats with no fleas or mites and no exposure to other animals so internal parasites are not a concern. About 85% of her diet is canned and mixed-raw, the other is grain free mixed kibbles from PetSmart. She's only slightly heavier than average weight. This is the first cat I ever had with dry skin and dandruff. Stools are normal. She's going on 5 yrs old. She wont eat the food if I put that oil for cats on it. She's never been an active cat. Suggestions? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
I don't know. The only time I've seen dandruff on one of our cats was just a bit at the base of the tail where they can't reach to groom easily. I'll be interested to see others ideas.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 AM

400 posts, read 750,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I noticed a long time ago that Zephyr's coat was never as soft and shiny as the other cat's coats. But now it's getting duller and I'm noticing dandruff. Today when I brushed her - a lot of dandruff. She eats what the other 3 eat. These are indoor only cats with no fleas or mites and no exposure to other animals so internal parasites are not a concern. About 85% of her diet is canned and mixed-raw, the other is grain free mixed kibbles from PetSmart. She's only slightly heavier than average weight. This is the first cat I ever had with dry skin and dandruff. Stools are normal. She's going on 5 yrs old. She wont eat the food if I put that oil for cats on it. She's never been an active cat. Suggestions? Ideas?
Looks like you're giving Zephyr excellent care. I tried for years to figure out why my tabby boy sheds so much and did diet changes, added supplements. He still sheds a lot so I've tried to stop worrying about it. Zephyr's dull coat and dandruff reminds me of my ongoing fine hair, thin skin and soft nails. Nothing I have done in the past changes all of that and I thought I had tried everything. Something I've always noticed is the fact that I have no fatty tissue beneath my skin and that is making it wrinkle in a hurry (I'm 67). Just a few days ago, I searched for that and came across lecithin. Benefits include: Lecithin is a beauty nutrient, because it is essential for healthy, shiny hair and moist, soft skin (helps prevent eczema).*
At the link below, there's lots more benefits and I have started taking it, big gel capsules. You could do some browsing on lecithin for cats and maybe find comments from cat lovers who have tried it. I haven't tried to put it in my tabby's food yet but I will. Like Zephyr, all of mine refuse food if I add oil. However, just lately my old girl is accepting some extra virgin olive oil straight from a dish. I found out her interest by wiping her butt with olive oil before the enema. When that was done, she quickly got up, followed the aroma and licked up the oil in the dish so I'm giving her some every day. She doesn't always lick it up but every little bit helps.

Benefits Of Lecithin - Jeff & Bonnie Story

Edit: Just noticed this benefit at the link: it has been very beneficial in the reduction or prevention of PMS, menstrual disorders, and menopause symptoms.*
Oh how I wish I had known that in my earlier years!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Will she lick the contents of a fish oil capsule?

She's rather young, but has she had bloodwork recently to rule out any health problems? (it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong though.)

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Since my cat has worms...lol..i think everything can even if it is indoors. Apparently they can get worms just from eating insects that may creep into your home! I was like: whaaaaaaaaaaaaa when I read that. Anyway just to be on the safe side I would check for that, diabetes and kidney function.

My one cat is prone to dander and allergies. Two things that worked for him was this salmon oil that came in a pump I got at a petco:
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Cat Food Supplement at PETCO

He didn't like the fishoil caps. The salmon pump actually smells like fish so he loved that. The other cat did too.

And if he is only eating castor pollux there isn't much of a problem at all. He gets the dry skin in front of his ears and around the tail base on his back.

And just normal during seasons where the air is really dry (winter heat or ac) he still gets a bit of dander. The castor pollux seemed to help get rid of his extra chub too. He lost 4 lbs that needed to go. The other fat cat lost 7. I did put them on a diet control on other food but it was not as effective. (science diet and various canned brands) The castor pollux only diet makes him in a friendlier more energetic mood too.

edit:
P.S. Do you use any perfumed litter, rug deodorizers, recently steam cleaned with chemicals etc? Do you bathe them?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
Looks like you're giving Zephyr excellent care. I tried for years to figure out why my tabby boy sheds so much and did diet changes, added supplements. He still sheds a lot so I've tried to stop worrying about it. ........
There is no way she would eat her food with oil in it but this looks like a good product. I also hesitate to add more calories to her food as she's already a bit on the heavy side. Not from overeating but from lack of exercise. Evan as young cat she seldom played.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Will she lick the contents of a fish oil capsule?

She's rather young, but has she had bloodwork recently to rule out any health problems? (it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong though.)
Ya know, I can try the fish oil as my husband takes them every day so we always have a supply. Maybe I'd get away with a drop a day to start. She's a healthy cat as far as we know, just has always been one of those sofa-slugs.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Since my cat has worms...lol..i think everything can even if it is indoors. Apparently they can get worms just from eating insects that may creep into your home! I was like: whaaaaaaaaaaaaa when I read that. Anyway just to be on the safe side I would check for that, diabetes and kidney function.

My one cat is prone to dander and allergies. Two things that worked for him was this salmon oil that came in a pump I got at a petco:
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Cat Food Supplement at PETCO
We have a Petco here so I can look for this product. I have an oil from PetsMart but she wont eat if I add a few drops to her food. She must smell it. To me it has no odor.

Quote:
He didn't like the fishoil caps. The salmon pump actually smells like fish so he loved that. The other cat did too.

And if he is only eating castor pollux there isn't much of a problem at all. He gets the dry skin in front of his ears and around the tail base on his back.
I haven't seen any foods here called Castor Pollux. I just Googled it. These cat foods that are organic are out of our budget with 4 cats. They can run as high as $2.25 a 5oz can and we go through 2 to 2 1/2 cans a day.

Quote:
And just normal during seasons where the air is really dry (winter heat or ac) he still gets a bit of dander. The castor pollux seemed to help get rid of his extra chub too. He lost 4 lbs that needed to go. The other fat cat lost 7. I did put them on a diet control on other food but it was not as effective. (science diet and various canned brands) The castor pollux only diet makes him in a friendlier more energetic mood too.

edit:
P.S. Do you use any perfumed litter, rug deodorizers, recently steam cleaned with chemicals etc? Do you bathe them?
No perfumed litter or rug deodorizers or diatomaceous earth. I don't bathe them and the wall-to-wall carpeting hasn't been done in a few months... I'll be done for the holidays. The 3 other cats have beautiful coats. Zephyr also sheds a lot, more so than the other cats. I'll try adding a few drops of fish oil to her bowl of food and see if she eats it. Maybe save/render the chicken fat next time I make a chicken and see if she'll eat with that in her food. She's the pickiest eater of them all too.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
It's just genetics. My cats are 50% raw, 50% good quality canned. They get highest quality krill oil every other day, and egg yolk lecithin for hair ball control.

Two of the cats have wonderful soft luxuriant coats. One of those two still has a bit of dandruff in winter, but not in summer. The third cat, though her coat is greatly improved since getting her on raw, still has dandruff, and her coat never looks as nice at the other two cats' coats do.

Sometimes her coat seems incredibly soft, but most of the time it is a bit rough looking, and when I comb her there are always skin flakes in the combings.

She gets check ups twice a year and blood work annually, so I know she is healthy.

Like you, I find myself worrying about it sometimes, but then I go over her diet in my mind, and the results of her last blood/urine labs and so on, and tell myself again that it is just the way she is.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We have a Petco here so I can look for this product. I have an oil from PetsMart but she wont eat if I add a few drops to her food. She must smell it. To me it has no odor.

I haven't seen any foods here called Castor Pollux. I just Googled it. These cat foods that are organic are out of our budget with 4 cats. They can run as high as $2.25 a 5oz can and we go through 2 to 2 1/2 cans a day.

No perfumed litter or rug deodorizers or diatomaceous earth. I don't bathe them and the wall-to-wall carpeting hasn't been done in a few months... I'll be done for the holidays. The 3 other cats have beautiful coats. Zephyr also sheds a lot, more so than the other cats. I'll try adding a few drops of fish oil to her bowl of food and see if she eats it. Maybe save/render the chicken fat next time I make a chicken and see if she'll eat with that in her food. She's the pickiest eater of them all too.

The salmon pump definitely smells just like fish. Its kinda stinky.LOL. Castor Pollux is expensive but it really works. I know they had some coupons out as they just re-formulated the canned kind. I think they were half off. Maybe you could find a type that has the same kind of nutritional value with fats and all that? I do believe it has a higher fat/water and lower carb ratio compared to a lot of canned. (unsure) Maybe you can just mix it in with what you already use and that will be enough if your kitty totally hates the salmon fish oil pump.
I know when I have been broke even having half Castor Pollux and half something else was an improvement on my cat.

The sensitive cat did have a skin reaction to the steam cleanser I used in an apt one time. So whenever I do my rugs I go over them with water twice to make sure everything is rinsed clean. Not saying that is it but who knows...Can hurt to get rid of some chemical residue for everyone in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats