Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 05:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

I'm lost vs high fat lamb & just only using only lower fat poultry? If poultry only, can use chick or turk & add rabbit (it is obviously not poultry, but not as high as lamb in fat.) Anyone know? My vet, though a nice doc, isn't great w/ nutrition & online searches give you so much info all over that no real consensus exists I think. Thx all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Feed them all in rotation. The more variety the better. Different prey animals provide different amounts of nutrients. In fact different parts of the same animal provide different nutrients. This is why when raw feeding, the more variety you feed the better. Don't worry about the fat in the lamb, it will be balanced with the lower fat chicken, lower fat turkey, and the Stella & Chewy's rabbit.

Rad Cat Raw Cat Food | All Natural Cat Food | Premium Cat Food

Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
Most predators dislike variety. While they do sometimes vary their diets according to supply. Unfortunately there is an entire industry surrounding food for pets like cats and dogs. The barn cats around here are fat and happy and they aren't hunting chickens or lamb. I'm not saying feed cats mice and other rodents but the simpler the food is the better.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Most predators dislike variety. While they do sometimes vary their diets according to supply. Unfortunately there is an entire industry surrounding food for pets like cats and dogs. The barn cats around here are fat and happy and they aren't hunting chickens or lamb. I'm not saying feed cats mice and other rodents but the simpler the food is the better.
I hope the barn cats aren't fat. Fat cats are not healthy cats.

Predators do not "dislike" variety. They eat what's available. Mouse (and there are different kinds of mice providing a variety of nutritious), rat, vole, bird (and each bird provides different nutrients) rabbit, it all offers a wide variety.

The mouse in the barn will provide different nutrients than the mouse in the field. The robin will provide different nutrients from the sparrow.

House cats do not hunt for their livelihood, they depend on humans to provide appropriate food for them.

When feeding a raw diet, this means as much variety in meats as possible. To give variety, one must feed what meats are available.

When feeding a canned diet, this also means rotating brands and even formulas within brands. No two commercial batches will be alike. One batch may be short of something another may have too much of something. Feeding a wide variety helps ensure the cat will be getting everytihg, but not too much, of what she needs.

Whether feeding raw or canned, variety is better, but it is essential when feeding raw.

And fat in the diet is not a bad thing for cats, they get their energy from fat, not carbs. As long as it is the right kind of fat, and that means fat from animals.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Can't rep you again til spread around more, but an EXTREMELY well put post here!

Old 12-10-2014, 03:37 PM

She's eating RadCat Lamb, RadCat Turkey & also, Stella & Chewy's Rabbit frozen morsels, along w/ Organic canned pumpkin (& some Trader Joe's psyllium fiber powder -- per vet's request to move her bowels well & add fiber) along w/ fiber from the pumpkin to lubricate her defecation so it is smooth & unconstipated.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm lost vs high fat lamb & just only using only lower fat poultry? If poultry only, can use chick or turk & add rabbit (it is obviously not poultry, but not as high as lamb in fat.) Anyone know? My vet, though a nice doc, isn't great w/ nutrition & online searches give you so much info all over that no real consensus exists I think. Thx all.

I am a 100% raw feeder of 14 cats since March of this year. Both are fine but of course absolutely do not cook it or the bones are a danger. But you can serve bone in if totally raw. Cats love this brand, it's New Zealand lamb, they say far better than Australian lamb (I forget why - there is some additive to the Australian raw lamb): Welcome to ZiwiPeak

Absolutely you can use chicken, turkey and rabbit - solo or in combination.

Variety of proteins is essential. You are doing the very best thing if you use all three.

Do you know these sites? Catcentric.org, ; Raw Feeding for IBD Cats (Facebook) this group is fantastic for ALL raw feeders to cats; feline-nutrition.org; and FB has other raw feeding groups for cat parents.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
She's eating RadCat Lamb, RadCat Turkey & also, Stella & Chewy's Rabbit frozen morsels, along w/ Organic canned pumpkin (& some Trader Joe's psyllium fiber powder -- per vet's request to move her bowels well & add fiber) along w/ fiber from the pumpkin to lubricate her defecation so it is smooth & unconstipated.

Why buy Rad Cat (a good food!) which is like 6x more expensive than if you just bought raw and gave it?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Why buy Rad Cat (a good food!) which is like 6x more expensive than if you just bought raw and gave it?
Martha,

My worry is I'd mess up raw by itself if not pre-made by RadCat, etc. The taurine issues, etc. would worry me, thus store bought is as close as I can to hitting it right -- yet not taking chances on my food prep.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Martha,

My worry is I'd mess up raw by itself if not pre-made by RadCat, etc. The taurine issues, etc. would worry me, thus store bought is as close as I can to hitting it right -- yet not taking chances on my food prep.
I love feeding Rad Cat. My cats love it too. I cut the 24 oz tubs into meal size pieces, and re-freeze so I only have to thaw what I am using on any given day. They only get it one meal a day. I don't have a local source for the S&C frozen rabbit. I might ask at the place I get the Rad Cat if they would get it in for me. I know they carry S&C food for dogs, so I am going to look into it.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats