Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

I was just watching two of our cats, Lucky and Daisy. Daisy was bugging Lucky, wanting to wrestle and Lucky wasn't in the mood. He simply gave a long meow and she backed off and left him alone. It wasn't a mean meow, just sort of "leave me alone, I'm not in the mood."

I've seen them communicate before too. We used to have a Mama cat who came to my shop every night to eat and one night she came and looked around to make sure it was safe, and then she let out a little meow. Out of the bushes came running a little kitten that she had and it somehow was told by her that the coast was clear and it was safe to come eat. I have seen that a lot of times when other Mama cats had litters, they would give a meow and the kittens would respond. How did she tell them to wait until she called them when it was safe ?

It just seems odd to me that a simple meow can have so many different meanings and cats seem to be able to interpret those and respond accordingly. They must have some language that only they understand.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM

400 posts, read 750,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was just watching two of our cats, Lucky and Daisy. Daisy was bugging Lucky, wanting to wrestle and Lucky wasn't in the mood. He simply gave a long meow and she backed off and left him alone. It wasn't a mean meow, just sort of "leave me alone, I'm not in the mood."

I've seen them communicate before too. We used to have a Mama cat who came to my shop every night to eat and one night she came and looked around to make sure it was safe, and then she let out a little meow. Out of the bushes came running a little kitten that she had and it somehow was told by her that the coast was clear and it was safe to come eat. I have seen that a lot of times when other Mama cats had litters, they would give a meow and the kittens would respond. How did she tell them to wait until she called them when it was safe ?

It just seems odd to me that a simple meow can have so many different meanings and cats seem to be able to interpret those and respond accordingly. They must have some language that only they understand.

Don
They definitely communicate. It's most noticeable with a queen and her kits. It's a lovely sight to see and hear.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Mine communicate mostly by swatting.

Of course, 10 seconds after the swat/hiss/yowl combo, they're snuggled up together, grooming each other.

Typical siblings!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Funny! Orion was laying next to me this morning, it's our routine, when Joe came up behind him. Orion only moved his ears and Joe backed off. I see this type of body language communication a lot with my guys. Orion doesn't like other cats much, he usually won't play with either of the other two much preferring Judy the dog or me for company. A twitch of the ear seems to speak volumes =D

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
when Joe came up behind him. Orion only moved his ears and Joe backed off. I see this type of body language communication a lot with my guys.
I see that, too with my cats. Checkers is a bit of a bully, and he likes to roughhouse with Cookie, who is rarely in the mood for that sort of nonsense. If he approaches her with that troublemaking look in his eye, and she doesn't want to play, she'll raise one paw a few inches off the ground. That's usually enough to stop him; if he persists, that's when he gets the full swat.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I don't have two cats, I only have one, with two dogs. They all seem to be able to communicate with each other, even between the dogs and the cat. Also, my cat is just a good communicator in general - he's very verbal. For instance, if he's out of food, YOU WILL KNOW IT because he just WON'T STOP mewing and circling around your legs and running toward his dish if you even head in that general direction. It's the same if he wants to go outside - he'll trot to the door, with a long meow, looking up at me, etc. He'll go sit right by the door with his nose on the crack! He's so obvious!

With the dogs, they are all pretty affectionate together. My cat likes to play with the dogs but he has his limits and he lets them know it by growling and twitching his tail when they get out of hand. But usually they all just look like this:

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
I've seen the same type of communication among the ferals at my workplace. I do not, however, see it with my guys at home. My 4 females have not been on speaking terms with each other for years, and my sweet old man Stormy does most of his communicating with me, but he's a cat of few words (meows).

Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
Here's an amazing video. I watch it because it reminds me of my now-lost Empress Precious Pye, who had the most beautiful voice I've ever heard from a cat. She taught our three "old guys" to trill then taught kittens we added to the household after our old boys died. Not all of the cats are talkative. Our big, black female, Stormy, must have Siamese in her, judging by her less-than-pleasant yowling. But, she's a sweetheart. Her brother, Sunny, doesn't talk too much. i miss my Precious so much and wish that I could have recorded her voice.

The two talking cats - YouTube

BTW: I can speak mamacat convincingly enough that kittens will start walking toward me. It's that high-pitched prrrrrrt with a lift on the end that can bring them running. They truly have so many expressions, body movements (especially ears and tail), and sounds. I'm 60+, and we have ALWAYS had at least one cat. We love watching them and trying to interpret what is going on. It's eerie how much they seem to understand US! I could tell so many stories about them!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
The vibrating meow that the two cats in the video are making is EXACTLY what our newest cat, Daisy, does. Our other two have regular meowing sounds, like most cats do, but she makes that weird half purr, half meow that I have never heard before. It is almost like a throaty, guteral sound instead of a meow.

Whatever it is, it is really cute when she does it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats