U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,376,945 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in feeding dogs and cats cooked human food. We have too many things in them that isn't good for them. But, I'm curious to hear what people have to say about cats and diabetes. does human food make them diabetic?

We all know that obesity develops diabetes, but I'm just saying that feeding my cat food that I eat might not be good for them. That's not including raw meat. That should be good for them.

Discuss!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM

445 posts, read 1,912,255 times
Actually,cooked food isnt good for humans either but thats a whole other issue. Cats should only eat raw foods like meat,poultry,fish and other raw carnivorous foods. You never see a cat in the wild grilling his mouse or frying the catch of the day. I think most people feed their cats dry food because it is more convienient for them. If you want your cat to eat raw foods and its not used to eating raw foods,you need to remove the dry food.If you put raw food out but leave the dry food there,they will eat the dry food because that is what they know. I notice that when i feed my cat what she should eat,she is much happier and her coat is more healthy looking.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 PM

578 posts, read 2,456,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I don't believe in feeding dogs and cats cooked human food. We have too many things in them that isn't good for them. But, I'm curious to hear what people have to say about cats and diabetes. does human food make them diabetic?

We all know that obesity develops diabetes, but I'm just saying that feeding my cat food that I eat might not be good for them. That's not including raw meat. That should be good for them.

Discuss!
Maybe the processed foods can cause diabetes. But I remember when the dog was beging at the table for scraps, and my dad would pour bacon grease on his dry kibble. HE lived a long, shiny-coated healthy life; with kibble and scraps (roast beef, chicken, pork) he ate what we ate. BTW: Dad lived to be 81 smoked two pks. Camels & drank vodka everyday of his life! mother? She was health food organics nut from the 1950s till she died of liver cancer at 64 Go FIGURE, eh? She neigher drank or smoked. So, I dont know what I'm trying to say; just quoting my experiences.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 AM

15 posts, read 115,010 times
Default Diabetic Cat sends purrrrrrrs =^..^=

I have diabetic cat. Being overweight and diet does contribute to it but doesn't cause it.

Shiva did crave sweets when he first started. I had no idea what was up... he just kept stealing Bit O Honey bars. Then one morning I couldn't find him. He was hiding in my dining room... Shiva NEVER hides. So he crawled out and I realized he was litterly crawling! He was walking on the hocks of his legs. He couldn't stand!!! OMG! You can not imagine how freaked out I was.

I couldn't imagine what was wrong with him. So I rushed him to the vet and $1000.00 later I took home my diabetic cat, insulin, syringes, test kit, special food (he won't eat it... eats normal cat food), and a vaculance and lancets.

I was told he would never walk again... Well, he's still a diabetic but he walks, runs and climbs. He took his first steps for my Birthday a few months later. They said the damage was unrepairable... he would NEVER walk. If anyone's pet has this same problem let me know. There's a simple vitamin that is known to help cats. My boy is living proof.

About the food. They wanted him on a special diabetic diet. He said "NO WAY....EWWWWWWWW...I'll starve first!!!" So he eats the same as my other cats. Little Friskies (canned). I feed him a decent quality of dry food Like purina one, nutro, or iams. Whiskas if I can't get anything else. Avoid semi-soft treats cuz they have alot of sugar. He still gets treats (human and otherwise). I just give him smaller amounts. He loves cherrios, fritos and fried chicken. The key is feeding him well and on time. He gets a full meal every 12 hours and a small meal mid-day.

Shiva has been a diabetic for at least 5 years. He gets shots twice a day... purrs when I give them to him. He also asks for food when he's feeling off. He does pretty good as a rule. He's only had one major episode since it started.

Shiva is overweight... but the vet doesn't want him to lose it. He lost weight as he became a diabetic so they aren't sure if being overweight or losing weight contributed to it. So as long as it's controlled I monitor his weight and we leave it alone.

As long as he's happy...lol.. and snoring over on the sofa............

Old 03-23-2009, 12:27 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,763,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaDancing View Post
I have diabetic cat. Being overweight and diet does contribute to it but doesn't cause it.
I agree, my pet was not overweight, did not eat a lot of treats or junk, I believe certain meds/steriods will bring on diabetes in pets, something affects their immune system, there are alot of how does this happen questions, I've found many pets were given a type of steriod drug for an infection and diabetes came along afterward, it may not happen at that time, but it usually follows, tho this does not happen with all pets, anymore we don't know what are going in the foods, a premium brand is not aways premium as we will see recalls down the road, don't cats like raw meat? I thought this was true, yes?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM

605 posts, read 2,877,189 times
Personally, I think the added GRAINS in commercial cat food has contributed to the rise of feline diabetes. Cats don't eat grains in the wild, and I don't think they are properly designed to eat and process them. So many pet food makers add grains and grain glutens (cheaper protein source than meat) to pet foods to save money, and our pets' health is suffering.

Dry food is more convenient - that's why so many people feed it. But cats evolved to eat small birds and mammals; which are of course, made of meat. I believe that cats just don't need all the carbs that are in modern pet foods.

I liken it to feeding your child Captain Crunch for every meal, and then wondering why they aren't healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats