Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Where does all her income come from? Donations alone seldom are enough to support large Rescues. Anyone know if she won a lottery or inherited a huge fortune?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Talk about a 'crazy cat lady!' I saw something about her several years ago, she's amazing.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Where does all her income come from? Donations alone seldom are enough to support large Rescues. Anyone know if she won a lottery or inherited a huge fortune?
There was an estate bequeathed several years ago that helped them purchase some extra surrounding land and fence it.

From what I can tell, the operation of it does come from donations. The net donations appear to be in the several hundred thousand per year range, perhaps approaching $1 million/year.

Basically, it seems it has become big enough and known enough to be a self-sustaining sheltering organization. They have a handful of paid staff in addition to volunteers. What makes it unusual compared to other shelters is just how many cats are housed there at a time, and how they are housed. What makes it unusual compared to various similar places that don't make it and end up shut down is that they appear to have put in place the right policies and people to keep it running well as a sanctuary and keep the cats in good condition. I mean, let's face it, one or two people, no matter how dedicated, could not alone truly care for 700 cats. This woman knows this and has staff and volunteers in place who know what they are doing. Just look at the partnership they are touting on the front page with Petco, where they are building an adoption center inside a local Petco store. That's a big win-win for both entities.

Looking at the numbers, if accurate, it's a pretty efficient organization. The founding is considered to be 21 years ago. The numbers are supposed to be over 20,000 cats and 6000 dogs saved since then. That's over 1000 animals per year on average. Doing that with a budget that right now might only be a million per year, that's impressive.

I still don't know how they keep track of 700 cats though! It's still a little scary. But with the two decade track record, I think they are doing it. Not like the horror stories we see. If things are going poorly, with animals not doing well, that always seems to get out somehow. There are always people out there who will put the condition of the animals above any notion of protecting someone.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's nice to hear when it works out. My sister called me one day and asked, "When we were growing up, who did we know who would be most likely to become a cat hoarder?" I had no clue. When she told me, it totally made sense because she was a huge animal lover. My sister had been wondering about this childhood friend and googled her. She found a newspaper article about her arrest for neglect, etc, of a crazy number of animals. She had established a rescue, but apparently became overwhelmed. What I don't understand about these people is how they can't see they're doing more harm than good. If they truly had compassion, they would seek other solutions the very moment they weren't meeting the needs of the animals.
I've wondered about that too. All of us who love animals & have pets enjoying the good feelings/emotions/love that they bring to our lives. I think perhaps these people get so caught up in the 'reward' side of the equation that they become blind to the reality of what they are doing. Hoarding is considered a mental illness, and there is probably not a simple answer as to why people let themselves become overwhelmed with an insane number of animals. It's so sad really, and I always hate hearing those kinds of stories.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
[quote]Where does all her income come from? Donations alone seldom are enough to support large Rescues. Anyone know if she won a lottery or inherited a huge fortune?
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
The story on tv about her said she came from money. She was a beauty queen and she married into a life of private planes and that lifestyle, but she was unhappy. She has never remarried, and her Sister keeps trying to tell her she can't keep up this crazy cat saving lifestyle, but she says "How could I say no to saving a cat or kitten from dying ?"

God bless her. I know the toll taking care of even 8-10 cats put on me, having to make sure I drove over to my shop every evening to feed them, and the expense of the food and gas to get there. It will actually burn you out after a while, and it also takes a toll on you when some of them never show up again, after coming around for months and years. You wonder if you are really making any difference, but you keep going in the hopes you are.

Seriously, if I ever hit powerball there will be a well staffed no kill shelter in my home town.

Don

Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Now this woman is a proper "Crazy cat lady". I have a lot of respect for her and what she's done with her animal rescue sanctuary. There are so many people out there who want to help rescue animals but when they do they end up overwhelmed, depressed, and eventually an unintentional animal abuser/neglect.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:46 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Now this woman is a proper "Crazy cat lady". I have a lot of respect for her and what she's done with her animal rescue sanctuary. There are so many people out there who want to help rescue animals but when they do they end up overwhelmed, depressed, and eventually an unintentional animal abuser/neglect.
Oh, I agree 100%. It can quickly become overwhelming and get totally out of control. It can consume your life and all your money quickly. The problem is, there are just so many little cats and they keep breeding. Before you know it you are overrun by them.

That is why trapping them and spaying/neutering is so important. You also have to realize you can not save the entire world, you are going to only be able to do what you can do, and take comfort in that.

Don

Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Include me on those lottery winning dreams!! A HUGE open no kill rescue!!! Like Best Friends in Utah

Good for her. So jealous
Maybe you need to read this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...t-friends.html

Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I'm happy that it's working out, but I would not recommend taking on a task like that. It's a constant struggle that most people are not cut out to do. I have 5 cats and they're enough of a handful, mostly because they want attention all the time, even when I'm swamped in college work. If my big fuzzy boy thinks I'm not paying enough attention to him he sits on the mousepad and stares at me.

Again, I think it's great what she's doing. Don't get me wrong. I couldn't do it.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There was an estate bequeathed several years ago that helped them purchase some extra surrounding land and fence it.

From what I can tell, the operation of it does come from donations. The net donations appear to be in the several hundred thousand per year range, perhaps approaching $1 million/year.....
I looked into it a little further and this seems like the "real thing." She's succeeding where so many others became overwhelmed and failed. If only each state in the US had something like this it would be wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats