Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times

Advertisements

You two have a bond which transcends all others - built on love and trust and the history as a family that you both share. She has trusted you enough to reveal her "secret" that she is tired and ill and ready to go home now and be with her other Mama. You will keep your word to her - because you are an honorable and sensible woman - and she knew that before she shared her sad news with you. My heart breaks when I think about you two - and you severing another bond you had with your dear mother. I don't know how long you two have but I trust that you will make it comfortable and loving for her - and it will last you both until you meet again. I'm glad you are here for her. I am sending you both a (((hug))).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
I am sorry. It is a tough thing to go through. What a great caretaker she has.

FWIW, I don't think that is any easier when you only have a cat a few years vs many. About 4 years or so ago we lost a cat that only came to us at age 13, and lived to about 17, so with us about 4 years. She really enjoyed our company and us hers. We think she had a more agreeable and sociable life in her last few years than in her earlier ones, despite not getting along with my other cat. And that cat, Amber, died a couple months ago after being with me for 17 years. The circumstances were a little different in each case. Amber died abruptly at home one night from her heart issue, while still under treatment for kidney disease; the other one we made the choice to euthanize when it seemed like she just wasn't doing well enough anymore. But the feeling loss is not so different.

And you're never ready for it, unfortunately, no matter how much you might know that it's close to time. Hang in there.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
I offer you my deepest condolences. I think it's admirable that you "listen" to her and know when it's time to let her go.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
So very sorry you're going through this. It's a very difficult thing to do under any circumstances, but when there is a connection to a departed loved one, it's even harder. My wife passed away 6 years ago and our 7 cats and two dogs were a huge comfort to me, as they were a tangible connection to her. But it's a double edged sword, and hurts even more when they have to leave you. Since my wife's passing I've lost 2 cats & 2 dogs, and each time I felt that I've lost another little piece of her in the process. My oldest cat Stormy recently turned 16 and I dread the day when he tells me it's time to go. He was my wife's special baby that she rescued when he was abandoned at our vet's office with a neck injury. They had a special bond and it will break my heart to have to say goodbye to him.
As others have said, take comfort knowing that you gave her the best life you could, and she will be reunited with your Mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I'm so sorry.

I hate to read these posts, but somehow I am always drawn to them. I see a person losing a friend and crying their heart out.

What I see even more is the sheer love that you have for a pet that you inherited. You took care of her and she trusted you enough after the loss of your mother to let you do that. You had each other, and that is huge.

Your story tells me how much you loved her and how well she was taken care of. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here writing it. Again, I am so sorry about your kitty, but am so happy that she has had you all these years to be her best friend....

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM

451 posts, read 769,573 times
My heart breaks for you, killabunnies. I'm so sorry that you're going through this right now. I'm sure your cat knows how much you love her.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Awwwwwww Killabunnies, I am so sorry you're going through this. It is so, so hard to let our beloved animals go, even when we know they will be better off ... it's just that WE will miss them so terribly. They are never in our lives long enough!

Big hugs to you and your sweet kitty (what is her name?). I got teary reading your post. Hansel is lying next to me and I can't even imagine letting him or any of my others go, but I know I will have to some day.

-karen

Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Awwwwwww Killabunnies, I am so sorry you're going through this. It is so, so hard to let our beloved animals go, even when we know they will be better off ... it's just that WE will miss them so terribly. They are never in our lives long enough!

Big hugs to you and your sweet kitty (what is her name?). I got teary reading your post. Hansel is lying next to me and I can't even imagine letting him or any of my others go, but I know I will have to some day.

-karen
BooBoo:

Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
What a beautiful girl. Torties are special, but you know that already.
She'll be waiting for you at the Bridge.
Again... so very sorry.

Bill

Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
This past June we had to say goodbye to our "Emily". She had an operation to remove a tumor from her neck and it grew back in triplicate. She spent her last few weeks living in our closet, she was so weak and thin and frail she could hardly get up to use the litter box. She had lost half her weight. The night before we brought her to the vet to have her euthanized she managed to climb up on the bed and sleep one last time with my wife. She always slept with us at night, usually curled up between my legs on the cold nights after getting a shoulder snuggle from my wife. In the morning she would walk around and sniff our noses. This particular morning she went back to the closet until we brought her to the vet. I gave her a firm hug before letting the tech take her in back. I will never forget the look on her face. She was seven years old. She is buried under the window she always loved to watch the birds from. A blue Hydrangea marks her grave. My heart goes out to you killabunnies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats