Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM

566 posts, read 678,011 times

Advertisements

they are feral, but friendly. was told to leave them. have to move. there are 9. i fixed them. winter is coming. i've fed them good for three years. i live next to a nature reserve. its breaking my heart. can't eat or sleep. thinking how they will suffer. was told by local shelter no room. will euthanize. never lived indoors. i feel soo sad...please...someone...out there...help me find a place to live so i can care for them...or volunteer here to feed them regularly..they will still be cold though..and i saw a coyote GOD..please help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Try calling Chicago Cat Rescue. They may or may not be able to help, but if they can't, they can give you their best honest advice.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:14 PM

OK. I wrote them an email just now, but they are an indoor shelter who may not want to train ferals who are not litter trained and are outdoor only. Shelters do not want ferals and will euthanize them. I already talked with feral groups, and they even told me to leave them, and they could live for maybe three more years without someone to feed them, but they will suffer horribly. INDYFERAL cannot help me as they are too far away. I am in Miller Beach Indiana in Marquette Park. I have talked to everyone local already. I need a place to relocate them asap, or find volunteers. This is killing me!

Last edited by glenninindy; 09-23-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
These people specialize in feral cats...

Alley Cat Allies

Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
These people specialize in feral cats...

Alley Cat Allies
Specifically you might start with some info on this page about planning for their care when you can't do it anymore: Colony Care Guide - Alley Cat Allies

Also, I know you're in Indiana but you're close enough to Chicago that maybe this place is useful for something, seems to be a good organization: Tree House Humane Society: Cat Adoption Chicago - TNR - Cageless, no-kill humane organization who rescues, rehabilitates & adopts out kittens, sick cats, injured cats, stray cats, special needs cats & disabled cats.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
I feel for you, as I feed some stray cats too. Hope you are able to get something for them.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
If none of the organizations is able to help you, is it possible for you to go a couple of times per week to feed them? Even some food is better than none (though you may be moving too far away).

Or, are you friendly with anyone in the neighborhood? Perhaps he/she would agree to feed them if you drop off some food now and then?

I too feel for you, as I've done TNR on a feral in our neighborhood and feed her.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Thank-You, but I do not have a car to return back to them. They really love their freedom outdoors here and would hate being cooped up in a shelter. There are woods, and a lagoon for water, mice, insects. That is why all the cat Folks told me to leave them here.The winter will be the hardest for them though because there are a lot of raccoons and I saw a coyote starting to come every night. In the winter resources are scarce, and the raccoons will hunt them. The neighbors surrounding me work all day,and are'nt around much. I don't know them, and are gone, as they are second homes. One neighbor I saw chase one away. I just don't know what would be the best option other than take them with me if I can only find a house and small area to feed them.. I've been to Tree House in Chicago, and I don't think ferals would fit in. They run away from people and are not socialized. I am posting here in hopes to find a volunteer care taker. But the risk here is that someone may come with a nefarious agenda to harm them.

Last edited by glenninindy; 09-24-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 AM

131 posts, read 260,798 times
I also feed some stray cats with the knowledge that we may not always be around for them. In the same manner you showed up to feed them, you can always have hope that someone else will make themselves known to the cats you have been feeding when you are no longer there for them (in the same way you showed up for them).
Better to be wild and free then caged and euthanized.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
No, it wouldn't be appropriate to take them to a shelter. And in general moving them at all doesn't work out well. My thought was to get in touch with Tree House to see if they might know someone or help you find someone who would be able to look in on the colony at least occasionally.

They'll likely survive without you there, but without that reliable source of food they may become more of a nuisance to others, resulting in their eventual removal if people start complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats