Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,195,392 times

Advertisements

I agree with that, a Bengal is not a cuddle bug lap cat. While all cats are different, and it is difficult to generalize feline behavior, a Bengal is bred, specifically for a definite look, and the cat is still relatively "new", in terms of generations removed from the original Asian Forest Cat a domestic cat was bred with, to create the breed, and distinctive pattern of fur.

I have had cats my entire life, and Jasper, he is a Bengal, and while he is a nice cat, he has no desire to cuddle, or be held. He likes to have his head scratched, and then, he wants to do his own thing. Now, he was also a rescue, so I have no clue what his early life was like either.

My Mother has a penchant for Ragdoll Siamese cats, she rescues them, and those cats, while also bred for looks, are by far, the most tolerant, lovable cats I have ever seen. Even the rescue cats, just want to lay on your lap and purr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,222,602 times
So true Jasper. Orion is probably a Norwegien Forest cat or a mix - he's definately not a Maine Coon, his face is too triangular and he grows a 'beard,' when we have a cold winter (even here in S. FL it happens.) He doesn't like to sit on my lap but does like to be next to me or Judy (my GSD mix), his best friend. He tolerates other cats but prefers dogs, loves to be combed or brushed and likes attention in general, just not being held. He is very tolerant and laid back - and quite large, he weighs 14 pounds is rather thin, I'd like him to gain a little I think. He's probably the most intelligent cat I've ever met.

He was stung by a flying something, don't know if it was a wasp or bee when he was a kitten and had a reaction - he has never swatted at a flying insect since. He also will look at me via the mirror rather than turning around, how he knows to do that is beyond me. I've never seen a cat, or any animal do that before and thought at first that he wasn't looking at me until I moved and he moved his head to follow me. I've had cats attack their reflection because they didn't understand that it was a reflection so his understanding that he could see me in the mirror was amazing. If I didn't see it I'm not sure I'd believe it.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree with that, a Bengal is not a cuddle bug lap cat. While all cats are different, and it is difficult to generalize feline behavior, a Bengal is bred, specifically for a definite look, and the cat is still relatively "new", in terms of generations removed from the original Asian Forest Cat a domestic cat was bred with, to create the breed, and distinctive pattern of fur.
I would rather have a less attractive snugglebug. Bengals seem to be more status symbols than anything else to some, maybe most people.

Quote:
I have had cats my entire life, and Jasper, he is a Bengal, and while he is a nice cat, he has no desire to cuddle, or be held. He likes to have his head scratched, and then, he wants to do his own thing. Now, he was also a rescue, so I have no clue what his early life was like either.
My Zeb is kind of like that too. The only time he wants snuggling or attention is when I'm reading in bed. He gets in the meatloaf position on my stomach, stares in my face and purrs like crazy. That can last from a few minutes to an hour or more. He usually, but not always, spends the night on the floor next to the bed and under a window.

Quote:
My Mother has a penchant for Ragdoll Siamese cats, she rescues them, and those cats, while also bred for looks, are by far, the most tolerant, lovable cats I have ever seen. Even the rescue cats, just want to lay on your lap and purr.
That's the kind of cat my friend Don needed and wanted. It's comforting to think, to fantasize he's with his beloved old snugglebug alleycat from NY up there in heaven....

Old 09-28-2013, 04:33 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,389,878 times
When we lived in S. Idaho we had people that bed ligers that lived not that far from us. I was always worried that one would escape.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,382,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Toyger? Hybrid Cats Are a Booming, Controversial Pet | Video - ABC News
Excellent example of irresponsible journalism. Toygers are ordinary house cats. Somebody should have lost his or her job over this sort of sensationalized nonsense.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:12 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,195,392 times
Agreed, they obviously do not have a clue about cats, or breeds. A better sentence would have talked about Savannahs, which are a hybrid, not a Toyger.

I love the look of Toygers, I saw some at a cat show a few years ago. But, Jasper is fine...and really, any cat is fine.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Why do you call them Ragdoll Siamese? I'm aware of their markings and background but I've never heard them called anything but Ragdolls. our two 11 year old guys are in our laps every time we sit down. At 17 lbs they get very hot in the summer but we tolerate them. In fact we love them very much and it would be difficult to ever have an offish cat after the experience we are having with our Ragdolls.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 34,207 times
Rebel is a Bengal, and he is super lovable. When he is in play mode he doesn't want to be held or petted just wants to play, but other than that he will snuggle up to my side or on my lap purring away. Every night when I go to bed he follows and sits on my chest wanting me to pet him. Then, he will lay down snuggled up against me. Till about 3 in the morning then he is up running around the house like a crazy cat and jumping straight up from the bed trying to get the ceiling fan haha. I think it depends a lot on the personality of the cat. I have talked to owners of Bengals that were complete snuggle bugs and to ones whose Bengals were not lap cats at all.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,222,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Excellent example of irresponsible journalism. Toygers are ordinary house cats. Somebody should have lost his or her job over this sort of sensationalized nonsense.
Excellent point, there is a huge difference between lookalikes and hybrids. And while I wouldn't purchase a pedigree or designer pet (mine are all shelter with the exception of Scooter who is a runaway) I can only make decisions for myself.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,382,751 times
We have three pedigreed cats and three rescues, including a now 15-pound, 8-year old former feral kitten. We feel like there ought to be room for both, and that there would be if all non-breeder trade were limited to spayed and neutered animals. Many reputable sources are in this camp already, but obviously more needs to be done if excess populations are to be brought down and controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats