Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

This is disturbing. The lady who started out as a breeder ends up turning her business into a sanctuary because so many people wanted to bring their cats back. that says it all.

Toyger? Hybrid Cats Are a Booming, Controversial Pet | Video - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
These cats were not "Toygers". A Toyger is a specific breed of tabby/Bengal, bred to look like a small tiger, https://www.google.com/search?q=toyg...DkK4PP2wWjlYHQ

The cats in this video were larger cats, like Savannahs, which are still quasi wild.

Jasper, as a Bengal, is crossbreed from a small Asian hunting cat,bred with domestic breed cats to achieve a "wild" look, but he is far removed from a wild cat. Jasper does not spray, or bite, or even steal food. He is less wild than feral cars.

But, as always, people want something bigger, and different. We knew folks who had a small bobcat, I thought they were crazy. A bobcat could easily eat a baby.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Right Toygers are domestic cats: TICA Toyger Breed Introduction no fear from them, they just look like tigers. My only issue with new breeds are all the 'throw aways' out there but where there's $ to be made there will be people to supply the product even if it has a beating heart.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We knew folks who had a small bobcat, I thought they were crazy. A bobcat could easily eat a baby.
Bad, bad idea. A bobcat is double the weight of a domestic cat and three times as powerful. A big tom can kill a small deer. Not at all an animal that makes a good pet, although there have been a few cases in which it has worked out okay. Still not worth the risk of trying.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM

303 posts, read 540,050 times
Even though the Toygers are domestic cats it just bums me out to think of all the people on those designer breed waiting lists when cats (and dogs) sitting in shelters. I'm iffy on breeders in general because of all the horrible things I saw in my shelter working years. I'm glad that former breeder in the video was brave enough to admit her mistakes and start a sanctuary.

The hybrids are one thing (like ligers, seriously?) but the real deal like bobcats and cervils are wild for a reason. I don't know why people can't just accept that.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
Even though the Toygers are domestic cats it just bums me out to think of all the people on those designer breed waiting lists when cats (and dogs) sitting in shelters. I'm iffy on breeders in general because of all the horrible things I saw in my shelter working years. I'm glad that former breeder in the video was brave enough to admit her mistakes and start a sanctuary.

The hybrids are one thing (like ligers, seriously?) but the real deal like bobcats and cervils are wild for a reason. I don't know why people can't just accept that.
I'm with you on that. I'm not necessarily down on reputable breeders, but the idea that dogs and cats are being created for sale when there are so many being PTS in shelters every day really doesn't make sense to me. I like to remind people (when I get the chance) that every time you buy a dog or cat, one will die in a shelter somewhere... that could have been saved.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM

218 posts, read 544,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
the idea that dogs and cats are being created for sale when there are so many being PTS in shelters every day really doesn't make sense to me. I like to remind people (when I get the chance) that every time you buy a dog or cat, one will die in a shelter somewhere... that could have been saved.
Well said. Couldn't rep you b/c I've done that recently but I completely agree!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I just have issues with hybrid cats...same with wolf/hybrid dogs...these are not domestic cats...I don't know...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat)

The Bengal is a hybrid, but, bred primarily for looks.
TICA Bengal Breed Introduction

I have seen cats that are not domesticated, and too large, I don't know, but I can't stand people who don't make a commitment to pets.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'm with you on that. I'm not necessarily down on reputable breeders, but the idea that dogs and cats are being created for sale when there are so many being PTS in shelters every day really doesn't make sense to me. I like to remind people (when I get the chance) that every time you buy a dog or cat, one will die in a shelter somewhere... that could have been saved.

Yes, a hundred, thousand times! I have purchased exactly ONE dog (never a cat) in my life and only because I wanted to be sure it would be big - long story - but I lived in a city and had a large yard and wanted to deter people from entering it. ALL my fur friends are from shelters or 'drop ins,' meaning they chose to live with us/me. We have one now. Scooter was our neighbors' kitten, when they got a new dog, he decided he didn't care for the dog and ran across the road to our house every chance he got. Eventually the dumb humans got the message and stopped trying to 'return' him to his 'home.' Scooter obviously had moved, LOL

I'd have more than 3 cats and 2 dogs if I could but I can't here and am unsure I could support them. I'd never have a 'designer' breed, and am kind of doubtful about pedigrees although Bruno is, (Chocolate Lab) and Orion could be (Norwegian Forest) they're both from the shelter, chipped and neutered of course. Bruno is a good example of what people do. He was 8 months old when we adopted him, his previous owners decided he was 'too active,' so took him to the shelter. He's proven to be a great friend, although Joe still thinks all dogs belong anywhere but here! LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
I have never seen a Bengal in real life - only pictures and on TV. A friend of mine, now deceased, bought one for $1,500 and was bitterly disappointed. I felt doubly bad for him as he was dying of one of those neuromuscular diseases, MS or MD, I never remember which. He had hoped she'd be his constant companion as was his old alley-cat. I tried to tell him not all cats are the same. To pick an older cat if he really wanted a snugglebug lap-cat. Kittens could go in either direction.... but he had to have a kitten. He had to wait for several months to get her. She was not friendly at all and wouldn't tolerate more than a few pats before walking off. She wasn't a mean cat, she just didn't want or need attention from people. She was not the lapcat he fantasized she would be. He was living in FL by then so I never got to meet the cat. BTW, this is the retired NYC detective I've mentioned here before. The man who cried like a baby when his old cat died and he wasn't embarrassed about it either. For almost 15 years she was his constant companion while his wife worked full time and kids grew up and went off to college. Disabled, he was home all day alone with his cat. He kept the Bengal and decided since his time was limited he wouldn't look for and adopt a second cat. He was a nice kind man, may he rest in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats