Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

My daughter came home from work last night and her 3 year old Persian INDOOR ONLY cat, Mr Higgins, was missing. It's suspected he slipped out the door when her roommate and a friend were doing some gardening. He only got out once before (again, a visitor while my daughter was at work) and wandered to the end of the driveway where she found him sitting when she got home. She called me last night hysterical. She is so very careful with this cat, obsessively so. He has been her constant companion since she move to LA, and of course she treats him like her child. He even has his own instagram site and series of video's but no street smarts. Did I mention she was obsessed?

There are coyotes in her neighborhood so that's the biggest fear. I wouldn't expect him to have wandered very far, and he would have only been out for 2 hours at the most before she came home. At the very least I thought he'd be meowing to get in by this morning but sadly no. She always told me she knew that if he ever got out he would be gone forever and I thought she was being dramatic since I have only had indoor/outdoor cats. But I'm beginning to think she was correct. Please send good vibes, this is really not something she will bounce back from easily.
Attached Thumbnails
The worst thing..good vibes please-higgens-tie.jpg  

Last edited by Ceece; 09-25-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Beautiful cat. Sending good vibes his way and a prayer too.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Please let us know if he returns.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
Oh no! I hope that he returns safely home. I will send lots of good vibes your/her way. This is one of my big fears for my three...

Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Oh that is tragic. :-( Have your daughter canvas the neighborhood. If he doesn't have street smarts, he (hopefully) won't know to go very far. Crossing my fingers.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
These threads break my heart. Ceece, I really feel for your daughter. I hope there is a happy ending.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Scooter got out one time when we were painting the house, my GF left the door open to let in some fresh air. I canvased the entire neighborhood, knocked on every door, and at one place I got a strange reception. When I started asking about my lost cat a little girl said "Yeah, Mom, that is the cat........" and her mom shut her up. I had a funny feeling they had found her and were keeping her.

A little while later I heard a thump at the door and when I opened it Scooter ran inside ! It was pouring rain but she was totally dry. I think the people got scared and carried her back to my door and made a sound so I would come to the door.

Point is, do not give up, go to every door that is around your place, post pictures with a reward, and you may just get lucky. But be careful, there are scammers who SAY they have your pet but really don't so they can beat you out of the money.

Good luck.

Don

Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Sending positive thoughts for his safe return! Do keep us posted.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
It's my experience that cats don't wander too far from home. My friend's cat was missing for a week and was discovered in the neighbor's garage! (he got locked in there).

If I were your daughter, I'd go door-to-door handing out fliers and asking/pleading for people to check their yards, garages, etc. Not everyone pays attention or even notices LOST pet signs like some of us do.

Be sure to have her post on Craigslist too.

good luck

Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Praying for Mr Higgins. What is she doing to recover him? There are many steps to be taken. From flyers to calling every shelter and vet in the area, to going door to door and asking people to check their outbuildings and garages and trash barrels. Many a cat has been locked in.

She should sprinkle used cat litter around the edges of the property so Mr Higgins can smell where home is. Put out articles of her own clothing.

Sit outside quietly at dawn and dusk with some smelly food and talk to him, waiting for him to apper.

She should remember to not jump up and grab when he does appear, but to let him come to her.

If feasible, sleep outside. Another member here did that, and woke up to find the missing cat curled up sleeping next to him.

PS She is not 'obsessed'. She is a normal loving owned by a cat human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats