U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM

13,169 posts, read 249,494 times

Advertisements

Hi -
Does anyone use one of those self-cleaning litter boxes, and if you have tried one, or have one, I'd like to hear your experience with it. Did your kitty (kitties) like it? Were they OK with the noise of it? I've heard that some cats don't like these type of litter boxes - that the noise scares them.

I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to hear from people who have them and like them, or those for whom it didn't work well.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 AM

4,755 posts, read 16,570,675 times
I've never met anyone who was fond of them.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM

1,414 posts, read 3,401,109 times
since I'm very anal about the catbox...my poor babies can barely finish and I'm standing there with the scoop... I really looked them over well... but infortunately, they're not big enough for my Maine Coons. Bubba at 18 lbs needs his room and still occaisonally misses the sides. the actual litter pan is only about 6-8 inches of space and don't think my 2 wide-loads could fit in there...plus the noise would terrify Annabelle... she's still skittish about noises.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 36,118,031 times
We have used them for several years and have worn out 3 of them.....we LOVE them....cats arent bothered a bit by them....Our Maine Coon uses it EXCEPT for once in the early morning hours when he leaves a "morning welcome" rigiht in front of the coffee maker.....no matter WHERE or how often we move it....he finds it and leaves a present.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
We have used them for several years and have worn out 3 of them.....we LOVE them....cats arent bothered a bit by them....Our Maine Coon uses it EXCEPT for once in the early morning hours when he leaves a "morning welcome" rigiht in front of the coffee maker.....no matter WHERE or how often we move it....he finds it and leaves a present.
That's funny. (funny to me, not to you).

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I gave you all rep points for the replies as an individual "thank you".

I have two, one is 22 lbs, the other around 16 lbs. Brothers. I guess the box would definitely be too small. littlelou, I had to smile, reading about the size of your kitty.

I've heard that about the noise scaring some cats.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM

308 posts, read 1,524,351 times
We've had one for years and lurvs it! Our cats were sort of startled with it initially, but they quickly overcame that particular fear. One of our cats STILL spends 15-20 minutes in there cleaning up after himself, however, whereas the other one does his business & immediately vacates the premises. Their's doesn't go off until after a certain timeframe when it no longer senses anything's there, so we've never had to worry about it "attacking" them. The only thing that sucks about it is that we have to order the cartridges through the mail for the one that we purchased, so we have to remember to do it ahead of time.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
We've had one for years and lurvs it! Our cats were sort of startled with it initially, but they quickly overcame that particular fear. One of our cats STILL spends 15-20 minutes in there cleaning up after himself, however, whereas the other one does his business & immediately vacates the premises. Their's doesn't go off until after a certain timeframe when it no longer senses anything's there, so we've never had to worry about it "attacking" them. The only thing that sucks about it is that we have to order the cartridges through the mail for the one that we purchased, so we have to remember to do it ahead of time.
What's the brand name of yours, and what does the cartridge cost?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 AM

8,191 posts, read 29,274,980 times
This is the one that my best friend uses Welcome to LitterMaid™

She has had it for years, and has never had a problem. Her cats are both *ahem* larger and she has never had a problem. She buys her refills at Wal Mart.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 AM

324 posts, read 1,201,704 times
Hi! I'm actually looking into this myself. I've heard not to good things about LitterMaid (break a lot, constant maintenance and messy at times, I don't know anyone that had them last more than 6 months). I have heard good things about the Litter Robot:
Litter-Robot, the automatic self-cleaning cat litter box that really works

What I'm most excited about though is potentially getting one of these self-cleaning, self-flushing litter boxes. The reviews are amazing for such a product:
Amazon.com: CatGenie-Self Washing, Self Flushing Cat Box: Kitchen & Dining
CatGenie - The World's Only Self-Flushing, Self Washing Cat Box

Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM

8,391 posts, read 19,366,827 times
I know this is a dumb question, but how do these actually work? Don't you have to physically still remove the litter?
What is the benefit of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats