Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM

218 posts, read 544,341 times

Advertisements

The Octavio Feline Foundation of Miami, Florida posted today looking for support – signatures and sharing – for a petition asking that a West Miami resident be allowed to keep his 9 senior cats, who are all well cared for and up to date on their veterinary care. The city wants Hans Perez to get rid of 6 of the cats in order to comply with a local ordinance mandating a 3 cat limit.

Despite the best efforts of rescuers, volunteers and some staffers, Miami-Dade County has a very high shelter kill rate for cats, and the Perez cats, if taken from their home of sixteen years, have little chance for survival at the shelter.

Mr. Perez is the guardian to 9 cats that he’s had for 16 years. They are all fixed, clean, happy, up to date on their vaccines and registered with Miami Dade County. Now the City of West Miami FL is asking Mr. Perez to get rid of 6 of his cats and follow city code that only allows 3 cats per household; even though there is no such code for the County.

Sign the petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/665/4...s-9-cats/#sign
Please cut and paste thelink if necessary

These cats are senior cats that require special care and diet that is being provided by Mr. Perez. They will not survive as outdoor cats and if taken to Miami Dade Animal Services they will not be put up for adoption due to their age. The kill rate for cats at the county shelter is 90% and owner surrenders do not get any time.

An Animal Control Officer for Miami Dade County investigated Mr. Perez’s residence and found that he is a responsible pet parent and within County Code. He has provided references from his Vet and neighbors but yet The City of West Miami has given him until the 1st of May to remove the 6 cats or be fined $25.00 daily. They want to remove these cats from the only life they have known for the past 16 years and send them to what will most likely be their death at the County shelter.

Mr. Perez has been a citizen of West Miami for the past 20 years, 16 of those years with his cats. Please allow Mr. Perez to continue caring for his cats.

Do not punish Mr. Perez and his cats and contribute to the problem the County shelter faces daily with the intake of animals ( In 2002 30,640 animals were abandoned, and in 2010 36,000 were abandoned. Due to the increasing intake rate the number of animals destroyed does not decrease, it stays at approximately 20,000 per year.

Sign the petition.

Please cut and paste if necessary.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 10-15-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
I think it is absolutely appalling that "government" wants to intrude on virtually every aspect of any individual's life and set the standard of what "they" think is correct. This man has had these cats in his FAMILY for 16 years - who is being harmed by letting him continue living with his family for the remainder of their lives. Why is he not grandfathered in? Who decides the number of animals that is "correct" per household? The cats are healthy, well cared for, loved and wanted by this man. It is inhumane to expect him to decide which to keep and which to "throw away" - as technically they would be. Their lives have value and they are important to this man. As senior cats - the odds of them being adopted are slim to none. What is being asked of him to sacrifice is cruel - I don't see how any of those who ask him to surrender six members of his family can live with themselves. Is there not something else that needs to be micro-managed and let this man live his life? I understand rules and I do respect the law - but I cannot understand why ridiculous laws are implemented that have no bearing on the community, make no sense, are not important to many people and could be almost impossible to regulate. Is this what the tax dollar is paying for these days? Where is compassion and common sense? If I were this man - I would absolutely pack my crap in the biggest box I could find and move someplace where my every action is not policed and nobody has their nose up my ass.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
The page wouldn't load for me, hopefully because lots of people are signing! I will try again.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
The Octavio Feline Foundation of Miami, Florida posted today looking for support – signatures and sharing – for a petition asking that a West Miami resident be allowed to keep his 9 senior cats, who are all well cared for and up to date on their veterinary care. The city wants Hans Perez to get rid of 6 of the cats in order to comply with a local ordinance mandating a 3 cat limit.

Despite the best efforts of rescuers, volunteers and some staffers, Miami-Dade County has a very high shelter kill rate for cats, and the Perez cats, if taken from their home of sixteen years, have little chance for survival at the shelter.

Mr. Perez is the guardian to 9 cats that he’s had for 16 years. They are all fixed, clean, happy, up to date on their vaccines and registered with Miami Dade County. Now the City of West Miami FL is asking Mr. Perez to get rid of 6 of his cats and follow city code that only allows 3 cats per household; even though there is no such code for the County.

Sign the petition

These cats are senior cats that require special care and diet that is being provided by Mr. Perez. They will not survive as outdoor cats and if taken to Miami Dade Animal Services they will not be put up for adoption due to their age. The kill rate for cats at the county shelter is 90% and owner surrenders do not get any time.

An Animal Control Officer for Miami Dade County investigated Mr. Perez’s residence and found that he is a responsible pet parent and within County Code. He has provided references from his Vet and neighbors but yet The City of West Miami has given him until the 1st of May to remove the 6 cats or be fined $25.00 daily. They want to remove these cats from the only life they have known for the past 16 years and send them to what will most likely be their death at the County shelter.

Mr. Perez has been a citizen of West Miami for the past 20 years, 16 of those years with his cats. Please allow Mr. Perez to continue caring for his cats.

Do not punish Mr. Perez and his cats and contribute to the problem the County shelter faces daily with the intake of animals ( In 2002 30,640 animals were abandoned, and in 2010 36,000 were abandoned. Due to the increasing intake rate the number of animals destroyed does not decrease, it stays at approximately 20,000 per year.

Sign the petition.

Nothing happens when you click on the link, and I'm not sure if people living out of the state would have any impact anyway - but this is just wrong on so many levels......I will most certainly sign it if it opens up at some point.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
My gosh, how stupid can a municipality get? They are already over run with unwanted cats, and they want to put 6 more into the system? I can't wrap my head around that, from a city finance stand point, at all.

From a HUMANE standpoint, it's just...mind blowing.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I think it is absolutely appalling that "government" wants to intrude on virtually every aspect of any individual's life and set the standard of what "they" think is correct. This man has had these cats in his FAMILY for 16 years - who is being harmed by letting him continue living with his family for the remainder of their lives. Why is he not grandfathered in? Who decides the number of animals that is "correct" per household? The cats are healthy, well cared for, loved and wanted by this man. It is inhumane to expect him to decide which to keep and which to "throw away" - as technically they would be. Their lives have value and they are important to this man. As senior cats - the odds of them being adopted are slim to none. What is being asked of him to sacrifice is cruel - I don't see how any of those who ask him to surrender six members of his family can live with themselves. Is there not something else that needs to be micro-managed and let this man live his life? I understand rules and I do respect the law - but I cannot understand why ridiculous laws are implemented that have no bearing on the community, make no sense, are not important to many people and could be almost impossible to regulate. Is this what the tax dollar is paying for these days? Where is compassion and common sense? If I were this man - I would absolutely pack my crap in the biggest box I could find and move someplace where my every action is not policed and nobody has their nose up my ass.

I completely agree with EVERYTHING you've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
The page wouldn't load for me, hopefully because lots of people are signing! I will try again.

Please cut and paste if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Nothing happens when you click on the link, and I'm not sure if people living out of the state would have any impact anyway - but this is just wrong on so many levels......I will most certainly sign it if it opens up at some point.

I'm not sure if out of state signatures would have an impact either but they are trying to get at least 1000 signatures.

I'm just trying to help the best I can.

It would quite literally kill me if I were to have to give up an animal that I had for 16 years so I just can't imagine how he must feel. Those cats only KNOW him and are dependent upon him. It's heartbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My gosh, how stupid can a municipality get? They are already over run with unwanted cats, and they want to put 6 more into the system? I can't wrap my head around that, from a city finance stand point, at all.

From a HUMANE standpoint, it's just...mind blowing.
I agree, mindblowing and frightening.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Any chance this info was copied from Facebook?

Here is a little different version of the story, from the Miami Herald:
West Miami man fined for surpassing 3-pet limit - West Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM

And I am so happy to see that they are getting TONS of signatures which may be why the link is not going through at all times. When I first posted this the count was at 700 and at this post it's at 918. Please share this story and the petition as much as you can where ever you can.

Thank you!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Any chance this info was copied from Facebook?

Here is a little different version of the story, from the Miami Herald:
West Miami man fined for surpassing 3-pet limit - West Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
Got this via an email from my sister. She got it from a friend of her's @Operation Catnip.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
The links take me to the page, the page just doesn't open, on either of my web browsers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats