U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 32,761,095 times
Reputation: 19777

Advertisements

Good stories, thank you.

Jasper, an elderly lady had kitty katty before he went to the rescue for that reason. I was able to adopt him and very happy about that...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Northern Illinois
2,187 posts, read 4,277,421 times
Reputation: 6393
Neither myself nor my husband are 65 (yet), but when I saw this thread I had to tell you about my Dad. He was a life-long animal lover and undoubtedly he is where I learned to love them myself. Growing up we had horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, and I had a goldfish. Oodles of animals. My mother liked them but my dad loved them. After all of us kids were out of the house and Dad retired, they just had dogs. A friend of my brother gave them a Boston Terrier that had been abandoned, and it was love at first sight. Long story short, they ended up with 5 Boston Terriers. After my Mom died in 1998, it was those dogs that got Dad out of his bed and up and about every day. They gave him something to love, care for, talk to, take care of, and a "reason" in his mind to still be important - although I spent time with him every day and took care of him, and just tried to keep him from shutting down after Mom was gone. He went into their bedroom to change his clothes for her funeral and he never slept in that room again for over 6 years. He slept in her recliner or on the couch - he just could not sleep in the bed he had shared with her for 53 years. The dogs gave him reason for being. He lost a couple of them eventually, and then he adopted a Border Collie that had been found near death by the road, had broken legs, and after several expensive surgeries was finally able to come home with Dad. I bought "Lucky" a huge orthopedic dog bed and put it in Dad's bedroom, on the floor right next to the bed. I explained to him how fragile Lucky was and that he would need his dog bed with good support and that Dad should be close by him in case something happened in the night. Dad didn't suspect a thing - but Lucky was the reason Dad was able to finally sleep in his own bed again. He relaxed, and healed, and he still missed Mom but he now had a new project to focus on - helping Lucky mend, and taking care of his remaining two Boston Terriers. When Dad could no longer stay at the house by himself anymore, my sister and I found a home for the Boston's and my nephew took Lucky in. Those dogs saved my dad's life - I'm sure of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
9,120 posts, read 8,141,393 times
Reputation: 21229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The problem though, is what to do with older pets who outlive their owners. When my Grandfather died, and my Grandmother went to the nursing home, we had two dogs, that needed homes. Fortunately, my Mom took them in, after all, not a lot of folks want to adopt dogs that are 10 and 12 years old. Or are in a position to do so...
My SO says he wants nothing that will outlive him. He enjoys Jasper as his vicarious cat.
I worry about that. Though my 5 cats are seniors ( 8 to 16 years old), it's quite possible the youngest 2 could outlive me. I know they could be re-homed and most likely would adapt, but I just hate the thought of them having to go through that trauma. In light of that, I've been making and effort to take better care of myself and am working on getting rid of some bad habits. I want to outlive them, not the other way around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 PM
 
18,842 posts, read 35,662,171 times
Reputation: 26386
I knew an elderly gentlemen who had a cat named, "Jennifer", that cat was so spoiled. She was literally the center of this man's life. He was 86, and his life revolved around Jennifer. Getting her breakfast, brushing her, taking her out on a leash, buying her endless cat toys, and treats. He cooked chicken, salmon, just for her dinner.

He talked about her all the time. She was the center of his life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 103,320,907 times
Reputation: 30630
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
In light of that, I've been making and effort to take better care of myself and am working on getting rid of some bad habits.
Hubby and I are starting that at our house tomorrow. We had a big health scare with him a few days ago. We're sort of still scared. I just laid down the law and said it was time for change. He didn't disagree like he usually does. Our changes are exercise, getting him off caffeine, and getting more fruits and vegies into him, along with seriously hydrating him with water. He's a meat and potatoes guy who thinks putzing in the yard is cardio. He's not overweight at all but we have to get that blood pumping to all the far reaches of his body and brain. I'm making the changes for myself too because it's easier if everyone does it, and it will be good for me too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
9,120 posts, read 8,141,393 times
Reputation: 21229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hubby and I are starting that at our house tomorrow. We had a big health scare with him a few days ago. We're sort of still scared. I just laid down the law and said it was time for change. He didn't disagree like he usually does. Our changes are exercise, getting him off caffeine, and getting more fruits and vegies into him, along with seriously hydrating him with water. He's a meat and potatoes guy who thinks putzing in the yard is cardio. He's not overweight at all but we have to get that blood pumping to all the far reaches of his body and brain. I'm making the changes for myself too because it's easier if everyone does it, and it will be good for me too.
Hope you are successful and your husband doesn't have any more episodes. Bobbles and The Basset are counting on you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,727 posts, read 9,283,150 times
Reputation: 20440
I'm 78 and don't have a dog or a cat. I thought I wanted a cockatiel until I found out how expensive they are. My pets are two hermit crabs. I bought Herman when we were at the beach last year. When we came home, I realized that he was by himself in that crabitat so I bought Little Boy to keep him company. Their food is not at all expensive and I can leave them alone for days without harm.

I'm still active and out and about frequently, so I'd be leaving an animal to his/her own devices too often. "The Boys" don't miss me when I'm gone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
22,015 posts, read 5,936,109 times
Reputation: 6744
Before I became older I would have told you that after the kids were grown and on their own and the pets were
gone I wanted no more pet responsibilities....reality was different.....my husband and I adore our peke, he gives
us such joy.... I don't know if it's the empty nest thing or what but when we had to put our last peke down I knew
I would be getting another. The house was just too empty...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
10,416 posts, read 13,587,802 times
Reputation: 21891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The problem though, is what to do with older pets who outlive their owners. When my Grandfather died, and my Grandmother went to the nursing home, we had two dogs, that needed homes. Fortunately, my Mom took them in, after all, not a lot of folks want to adopt dogs that are 10 and 12 years old. Or are in a position to do so...
My SO says he wants nothing that will outlive him. He enjoys Jasper as his vicarious cat.
I'm fortunate to live in a state that has pet trusts. I'm the current trustee; upon my death my animals will go as a group to people I completely trust. Best Friends is my second choice but they want to adopt and I have a dog who is terribly scarred emotionally. My instructions to them are not to adopt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Neither myself nor my husband are 65 (yet), but when I saw this thread I had to tell you about my Dad. He was a life-long animal lover and undoubtedly he is where I learned to love them myself. Growing up we had horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, and I had a goldfish. Oodles of animals. My mother liked them but my dad loved them. After all of us kids were out of the house and Dad retired, they just had dogs. A friend of my brother gave them a Boston Terrier that had been abandoned, and it was love at first sight. Long story short, they ended up with 5 Boston Terriers. After my Mom died in 1998, it was those dogs that got Dad out of his bed and up and about every day. They gave him something to love, care for, talk to, take care of, and a "reason" in his mind to still be important - although I spent time with him every day and took care of him, and just tried to keep him from shutting down after Mom was gone. He went into their bedroom to change his clothes for her funeral and he never slept in that room again for over 6 years. He slept in her recliner or on the couch - he just could not sleep in the bed he had shared with her for 53 years. The dogs gave him reason for being. He lost a couple of them eventually, and then he adopted a Border Collie that had been found near death by the road, had broken legs, and after several expensive surgeries was finally able to come home with Dad. I bought "Lucky" a huge orthopedic dog bed and put it in Dad's bedroom, on the floor right next to the bed. I explained to him how fragile Lucky was and that he would need his dog bed with good support and that Dad should be close by him in case something happened in the night. Dad didn't suspect a thing - but Lucky was the reason Dad was able to finally sleep in his own bed again. He relaxed, and healed, and he still missed Mom but he now had a new project to focus on - helping Lucky mend, and taking care of his remaining two Boston Terriers. When Dad could no longer stay at the house by himself anymore, my sister and I found a home for the Boston's and my nephew took Lucky in. Those dogs saved my dad's life - I'm sure of it.
Your father was a good man. Be proud of him.

I can't imagine life without pets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 32,761,095 times
Reputation: 19777
I love the responses to this thread. Thank you guys for sharing and keep 'em coming!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top