Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 AM

532 posts, read 1,069,158 times

Advertisements

I know that some people on this forum indicated that I was being irresponsible, feeding these outside cats. Others thought it was okay, or supported it. A pianist I know--an arbiter for many things for me--says that at least they have food and a warm(er) place to sleep (the shed outside).

This morning I had:
Short Hair:
1-2 My two grays
3-4 The two white calicos
2 kittens, a black and a white calico

Longer haired:
one pure black fluffy
one siamese, fluffy type

These seven or eight have been around for up to two years (kittens, not--and one kitten is missing); I realize it's a problem, not because I'll quickly become known as the crazy neighborhood cat lady (there's one in every neighborhood), but because the females will continue to give birth, I would think, and I am unable to catch them, never mind afford to have them fixed. And I would fear that if I turned this problem over to any animal group, it would wind up a horror story, with cats being caged, and perhaps killed or sold for experimentation and/or animal feed.

IMO, these are little sentient beings, little "people," if you will, and they are counting on me to at least feed them. I can afford a large bag of cat food every week. They are relatively safe in my backyard (no dogs allowed), though the neighbor's two watch dogs are--by report from the neighbor herself--likely to "play" with kittens, and kill them "accidentally."

Your recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Alley Cat Allies

TNR (trap-neuter-release) isn't necessarily expensive. Two organizations in my county will do cat spays for as low as $20 and will freely loan humane traps. I've done dozens over the years. They will "tip" one ear (cut off the tip) so the spay-neutered cats are easy to identify and not at risk of going through the trauma of being trapped and taken to the clinic a second time. The gray-cat gene is dominant around here and my neighbor and I have a small herd (eleven) of mostly gray cats that would be impossible to identify for the most part!

I think it's OK to feed outdoor cats BUT you are then responsible for the cats, and IMO with that responsibility comes managing the population (spay-neuter) and caring for any that are ill or injured.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Alley Cat Allies

TNR (trap-neuter-release) isn't necessarily expensive. Two organizations in my county will do cat spays for as low as $20 and will freely loan humane traps. I've done dozens over the years. They will "tip" one ear (cut off the tip) so the spay-neutered cats are easy to identify and not at risk of going through the trauma of being trapped and taken to the clinic a second time. The gray-cat gene is dominant around here and my neighbor and I have a small herd (eleven) of mostly gray cats that would be impossible to identify for the most part!

I think it's OK to feed outdoor cats BUT you are then responsible for the cats, and IMO with that responsibility comes managing the population (spay-neuter) and caring for any that are ill or injured.

Welp, I have MS so I can't physically catch them myself, even if traps were loaned to me. If you know of anyone in Lubbock, TX who would do this for $20, please let me know. I can do $20; I can't do $100. Please write me privately.

I suspect there are hundreds of strays in my neighborhood. There were also reports of cats being used in experiments at the university. I could not bear it if someone took them, and then I didn't see them again.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I agree that it's irresponsible to feed outdoor cats without having them spayed/neutered. Once you start feeding them, they are your cats.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree that it's irresponsible to feed outdoor cats without having them spayed/neutered. Once you start feeding them, they are your cats.
Well yeah, they're mine, alright. Can you make any recommendations for someone with MS-related mobility problems, someone or group that might be able to help?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
SpayUSA.org
Low Cost Spay Neuter Lubbock - Lubbock Low Cost Spay Neuter
Older story but worth contacting them to see what's available now:
Voucher program available to get animals fixed | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
UT Lubbock has a feral cat program:
Tech Feral

City of Lubbock has a TNR program:
City of Lubbock - Animal Services - TNR Program

Even if you can't physically catch cats, you should be able to find others who will help through this service!
I did a one-day workshop with a private non-profit here, and that got me two free traps and spay-neuter for $20-$25. Plus I met a bunch of neat people.

It looks like you have many more resources available near you than we do here; this is just what I found on the first page of a google search.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
Well yeah, they're mine, alright. Can you make any recommendations for someone with MS-related mobility problems, someone or group that might be able to help?
You say you don't have the money now. How are you going to afford to feed them as they multiply via having babies? My recommendation is you need to stop feeding them if you can't afford to spay/neuter them through one of the services chiropetra provided links. Let survival of the fittest thin the herd if you can't/won't do what it takes to control the herd population.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You say you don't have the money now. How are you going to afford to feed them as they multiply via having babies? My recommendation is you need to stop feeding them if you can't afford to spay/neuter them. Let survival of the fittest thin the herd if you can't/won't do what it takes to control the herd population.
That doesn't help. The other poster's links really did. I searched on "animal rescue Lubbock" but she knew what to search on.

Thank you; I'll contact them. I appreciate your help.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Where did I say I "didn't have any money now?"
I meant if you don't have the money now for spay/neuter, how do you think you can afford to feed more cats as they multiply. It's not simplistic thinking. It's being realistic. Responsible financial management involves investing in the future. In your case, it means investing now to limit your future expenses.

Quote:
I am unable to catch them, never mind afford to have them fixed.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
I'm like you, JTAustin, I have been feeding ferals at my shop for the past 3 years every night. I have had as many as 10 at one time (plus families of Raccoons too ) and at least I know they go to bed at night with a full belly. Now I only get one cat who comes regularly, and sometimes two others that come occasionally. It is hard to see them disappear because I know something not good has happened to them.

Our local humane society has a program where they will spay and neuter them free if you are going to release them back into the outdoors. They clip a short section off of one ear so people will know that cat has been done already. I had mama cat done a little while ago, but had to trap her and keep her indoors for a few days to heal. You might look into something like that, but with MS I know it is hard to do for you. But at least you are seeing that they are not hungry, and that is a good thing, regardless of what some people say.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats