Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM

11,197 posts, read 19,364,859 times

Advertisements

She was not training that wild animal for release into the wild. The cat is an "exotic pet". There are people out there who think it's cool to keep wild animals that are bred to be kept in captivity.

(they usually carry a very defensive chip on their shoulders about it, too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,863,924 times
I think it's great .
I liked the video.
It's real life folks cats are eating food .
While you city kids don't know where your food comes from,this is a good lesson for you.
The organic live on organic , and consuming dead tissue clogs the arteries.
Cats digestion is consuming living tissue . You don't see wild animals with tumors and other human ailments .
Grow up folks , chicken nuggets don't originate at Mc D's, Eggs are not factory made, bacon is not from a fruit tree.
Fantasy land doesn't help any one in real life.
I train my chickens to eat mice as well.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,253,496 times
No, I wouldn't. I know what goes on in the natural world and don't have a problem with it. But I'm not going to participate in the demise of one creature for the sake of another, especially when it's not even necessary.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
There are many animals that will only eat live prey.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,608,501 times
I think it says something about the girl who laughed, filmed it, and posted it.

She seemed to want attention at the expense of another life.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Servals are wild cats.

Apples, oranges.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,197,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
No, I wouldn't. I know what goes on in the natural world and don't have a problem with it. But I'm not going to participate in the demise of one creature for the sake of another, especially when it's not even necessary.
I agree..the video was (to me) quite disgusting...If that's what needs to doing to have an animal like that, I'd pass.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,224,406 times
Ugh. Did not watch the video. I am aware my cats need meat but it comes sanitized in cans thanks. I laugh when people ask, 'what do you feed your cats?' I'm a life long vegetarian, since I was an infant, just don't like it thanks. And, yes although I'm 'city folk' I know how meat arrives in the supermarket, I'm not ignorant.

If my cats want mice they can catch them, over the years some have, mostly when I lived up north. Here they try to catch geckos but so far it's cats 0 geckos 100 =) I understand nature and sometimes marvel that these little carnivores choose to live with me. Nature is not cruel, that is a human judgment but for all that I'm not going to have a pet that needs living prey.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 AM

303 posts, read 536,946 times
Poor mouse. I remember every once in a while I'd catch the barn cats growing up with a mouse or a baby bird. Even today, after being around it more than 20 years, I still get bummed out for the poor thing. But, my house cats? I can barely get them to chase a ball much less a mouse. I think they'd be scared of it (not that I'd give them a mouse if they wanted it anyway).

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,198,084 times
As I type these words, hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of animals around the world are being killed and eaten by other animals. This is the way nature works, folks, their meals do not come from the corner supermarket or out of a can, get over it. This includes mice, very, very few wild mice die of old age, they get eaten by something. Just about every predator you can think of takes mice, including both feral cats, and your pet kitty. We have all either owned or have known cats that were deadly hunters in spite of being well fed at home, taking a toll on rodents and birds.

All this said, and getting back to the main topic, my answer would be no I would not. First of all, am opposed to keeping exotic animals as pets, and most surely frown on having a serval. In the wild this cat hunts rodents, eats fish and insects, can kill small antelopes, and is a great leaper able to take birds in flight out of the air.

My present cat is an old indoor kitty, and quite frankly, likely would not know what to do with a mouse if she saw one, perhaps would regard it as a toy and play with it. If you have barnyard cats that are mousers, fine. On the other hand, keeping an exotic feline, or feeding your plain old domestic cat live mice gets a thumbs down from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats