Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't "feed" mice to my cats. They can catch their own, but if could make a section of our woods especially "mouse attractive" and a nice place for the cats to hunt, I would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
As I type these words, hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of animals around the world are being killed and eaten by other animals. This is the way nature works, folks, their meals do not come from the corner supermarket or out of a can, get over it. This includes mice, very, very few wild mice die of old age, they get eaten by something. Just about every predator you can think of takes mice, including both feral cats, and your pet kitty. We have all either owned or have known cats that were deadly hunters in spite of being well fed at home, taking a toll on rodents and birds.

All this said, and getting back to the main topic, my answer would be no I would not. First of all, am opposed to keeping exotic animals as pets, and most surely frown on having a serval. In the wild this cat hunts rodents, eats fish and insects, can kill small antelopes, and is a great leaper able to take birds in flight out of the air.

My present cat is an old indoor kitty, and quite frankly, likely would not know what to do with a mouse if she saw one, perhaps would regard it as a toy and play with it. If you have barnyard cats that are mousers, fine. On the other hand, keeping an exotic feline, or feeding your plain old domestic cat live mice gets a thumbs down from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I wouldn't "feed" mice to my cats. They can catch their own, but if could make a section of our woods especially "mouse attractive" and a nice place for the cats to hunt, I would do that.
don't forget to worm them every month if you let them hunt.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
This is the way nature works, folks
Feeding pinkie mice out of a paper bag to a Serval or Bengal or any other cat is NOT the way nature works, sorry. Nothing at all "natural" about this video, from the girl's bleached blond hair right on down to that paper bag holding the baby mice.

Disgusting video.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
This is the way nature works, folks, their meals do not come from the corner supermarket or out of a can, get over it.
In this case I gather they came from the corner pet store..macdonalds for cats, a bag rather than a can..don't look anything like "natural" to me.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Feeding pinkie mice out of a paper bag to a Serval or Bengal or any other cat is NOT the way nature works, sorry. Nothing at all "natural" about this video, from the girl's bleached blond hair right on down to that paper bag holding the baby mice.

Disgusting video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
In this case I gather they came from the corner pet store..macdonalds for cats, a bag rather than a can..don't look anything like "natural" to me.
It would seem as if the entire post was not read, or else the meaning was not gotten. Predators kill other things, lots of other things. This includes cats that are very often good at catching mice, such as your rural farm cat that lives in the barn. Once again, am strongly against keeping a wild or exotic bred animal as a personal pet, regardless of what it is fed. No live mice, or live anything, have ever been fed to any cat of mine, or ever will.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
The night Callie brought in a mouse from the outdoor enclosure I found it dead on the floor in the morning. I tried to save it the night before but it ran under the fridge and up in the motor somewhere. None of them ate it and it had no injuries I could see. We believe they played with it to death. Poor little mouse.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
It would seem as if the entire post was not read, or else the meaning was not gotten. Predators kill other things, lots of other things. This includes cats that are very often good at catching mice, such as your rural farm cat that lives in the barn. Once again, am strongly against keeping a wild or exotic bred animal as a personal pet, regardless of what it is fed. No live mice, or live anything, have ever been fed to any cat of mine, or ever will.
I believe the title of the thread was a question: "Would you feed baby mice to your cat?", which was followed by a video of a woman feeding pinkie mice to a large Serval cat out of a paper bag.

Absolutely I understand the nature of predators in their natural habitat, and yes, it happens every day-- that's the way of the world. But I don't think that's what the original post was driving at.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I couldn't deliberately hand over a living creature (like the woman in the video, with the baby mice) and watch it get eaten alive...and I know it happens in nature..

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
Poor mouse. I remember every once in a while I'd catch the barn cats growing up with a mouse or a baby bird. Even today, after being around it more than 20 years, I still get bummed out for the poor thing. But, my house cats? I can barely get them to chase a ball much less a mouse. I think they'd be scared of it (not that I'd give them a mouse if they wanted it anyway).
Mine are going to be able to get into the cuppord where the mouse shreaded everything it could recently. It comes up from under the house so they may have no luck, but I have to put seasoning packets in glass now. But they LOVE spring and don't seem to mind the bug invasion at all. They may eat all the bugs they please too. I don't use any poison which would harm my pets wet or dry.

The funniest thing was my old dog and the toad. It was huge. My dog dug it out of its hole and we see him standing there with his muzzle bubbling away. We wasned off his face and figured he'd learn. Not. At least once a week, he'd try. But it was dog zero toad every time.

With the cats, when you get the flying things which squeek in the house in spring they go nuts. Eventually the bug finds a place up high or someone stalks away the victor with his prize.

I have one cat who is a very good mouser. Some of the others have learned but will bring the mouse, alive and kicking, to show mom and then let it go again.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
No. I have not watched the video, or read the responses, but mice carry worms etc. and you will pass them on to your cat. There is just no common sense in this world.
http://www.petsandparasites.org/cat-owners/tapeworms/

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 11-19-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats