Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,580 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this was already answered. I am getting a new kitten in a few weeks. I have 2 dogs and 2 birds. The only cat I ever had passed away a month ago. He never really got used to my dogs and preferred to hide all the time. He was extremely shy and didn't like my kids either. My dogs are pretty friendly dogs and I don't believe they will bother the kitten as they are used to my birds and would probably lick him to death if anything. One is a golden doodle and the other one is a shih Tzu mix.

My question is, given that I have two dogs and two birds, Is it bad that I only have one kitten? My small dog is very playful and would definitely enjoy playing. I am home all but 20 hours a week and spend a lot of time at home as well as 2 teens and an 8 year old. I am not really wanting two cats, as that would mean more vet bills.
I know many cats can live happy lives alone and can get along with dogs, but its not the same as living with your own kind. Is it silly of me to expect him to bond with the dogs?

Also -- Any advice on how to keep the dog out of the litter box? I don't have a basement and many of the dog proof litter boxes are made for bigger dogs. My shih Tzu mix is smaller than the cat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
My suggestion for the litter box problem would be to raise it up high enough that the dogs can't easily get into it. You may have to build a small ramp for the cat to use to get in it. This is what we did with 7 cats and 2 small dogs, and it worked quite well for several years until the dogs passed away. The cats never had a problem climbing up into them.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM

That is a good idea- I am wondering if I used an end table for the litter box and used a kitty climber close if that would work- My big dog doesn't get into it, just our naughty little one! I saw the top opening litter boxes, but I don't like those for a kitten.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0222 View Post
That is a good idea- I am wondering if I used an end table for the litter box and used a kitty climber close if that would work- My big dog doesn't get into it, just our naughty little one! I saw the top opening litter boxes, but I don't like those for a kitten.
Yes, that's the idea. Try to set it up so the kitty doesn't have to jump up in it, but rather work his way up and step into it. We never had much luck with covered litter boxes, our cats didn't like them at all. Always seemed to me that they would be inhaling a lot more dust from the litter while in it too, so ours were always uncovered.
Good luck with the new kitty and hope everything goes well introducing him/her to your dogs.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I think many animals prefer a companion instead of being alone. It's really hard to say if your kitten and dogs will get along. I really hope you will watch them carefully until you know exactly how they behave with each other. I've normally had 2 or 3 cats at one time.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the advice--- I have never seen my dogs be aggressive with anything in the past, and I don't anticipate they will with a new kitten. I will definitely supervise them in the beginning. I really would like two kittens -not sure the husband will agree to that! - Definitely will try though!!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times

Yes Yes Yes to two especially if you are going to get kittens. It really is not more difficult, doesn't cost that much more and the feeling you get when you watch them romp around together and then snuggle up afterwards is priceless :-)

As for the doggies meeting the kitties, just take it slow and always supervise until they are bigger. I have two golden's and they love our kitties...want to smother them with kisses....but they are a little rough. Plus I'm always afraid that they will sit or step on on them (when the kitties are small).

The photo above is of my two older cats when they were kitties. The tan one was VERY sick and his brother wouldn't leave his side. He hugged, held and licked him all night long! Thankfully with the help of a great vet school (in the middle of the night) and the love of his brother Bumbies recovered!!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
PS Sorry for the HUGE photo! I'm still trying to learn how to add photos

Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM

I love your kitties- so cute!! I only got one kitty for now. I am thinking of adding another in March- which will only be three months. I ended up getting a Siberian cat which is quite costly. MY family has allergies and the Siberians are much better for the allergies.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
Amanda,
Congratulations on getting a new kitty!

I have introduced kittens to dogs and cats before and was always successful. Take it slowly and before you know it they will all be friends.

The only issue I see here is the dogs getting too rough with a baby cat. Here is what I have done:

When the other animals are around, keep the kitty in a large locking kennel with a litter box. Make sure he is comfortably familiar with it, then allow the other animals, maybe one at a time, to view the kitten in there. After they are ok with that, let them go over and sniff the little one still in the cage. When that becomes the norm, and you are sure there won't be any fireworks, let the baby out, maybe in a closed room, and then admit one of the other animals at a time to go in and get acquainted. After a while you will be able to give the kitten more freedom and access to the others.

I have never had a problem with that working; of course you have to be careful in case one of the others objects strongly to the new pet, so observe closely.

As far as the new kitten being lonely for another cat, in your situation he will probably think of the other animals as his "pack" and be just fine. When I only had cats, usually I would have two for the reasons you mentioned, but with others to keep him company, he probably won't suffer at all.

As for the litter box, I like catdad's suggestion. That should work!

Good luck and enjoy your furry friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats