Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times

Advertisements

My sister's cat was eating our lilacs earlier, so I looked this up. Fortunately, lilacs are not poisonous to cats, but some common flowers (like honeysuckle and daffodils) are poisonous to cats.

Here's a list.

CFA: Plants and Your Cat

This seems like a good site and a good list. If there are other plants that are poisonous to cats feel free to post what you know about it.

God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Thanks for posting the link. I'm going to print it out and stick it on the fridge.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
I had a Siamese cat a few years ago who ate all my new lantanas! Had no idea they were so poisonous to cats. Went out one morning to find all the blooms were gone. I assumed the birds got them. Then saw my cat weaving and stumbling as she was walking and frothing at the mouth. Scooped her up and took her to the vet, a $400 bill to keep her there for 2 days. But she survived! So got a book on poisonous plants to cats to prevent future mishaps.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Thank you so much for posting this. I bookmarked the link! I had no clue Honeysuckle was poisonous to cats! And I have a honeysuckle plant for the Hummingbirds. Last year, none of the cats bothered with it, so I am keeping all fingers crossed the same goes for this year. The trick? I have catnip plants in a private cats-only garden! I make my cats feel special, and in turn they stay out of the rest of my gardens. LOL At least mine do!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Hmmmm I'll have to plant some of these plants especially around where I put my trashbags out. Oddly enough neighbors get mad at you if you shoot their cat with an airsoft when they are tearing open your trash bags. Go figure.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01;[B
14008042]Hmmmm I'll have to plant some of these plants especially around where I put my trashbags out[/b]. Oddly enough neighbors get mad at you if you shoot their cat with an airsoft when they are tearing open your trash bags. Go figure.

Hmm? Did this stop the cats coming over?

Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmmm I'll have to plant some of these plants especially around where I put my trashbags out. Oddly enough neighbors get mad at you if you shoot their cat with an airsoft when they are tearing open your trash bags. Go figure.
You could also secure your trash bags inside a trash can with a lid.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You could also secure your trash bags inside a trash can with a lid.
He has no obligation to do that. Just keep your pets to yourself! Its his house, he is free or at least should be free to dispose of his trash any way he wishes without taking YOUR pets into account!

What's with people being so entitled here!

Nevermind he probably has his trash can laced with white lilies so no lid needed!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
He has no obligation to do that. Just keep your pets to yourself! Its his house, he is free or at least should be free to dispose of his trash any way he wishes without taking YOUR pets into account!

What's with people being so entitled here!

Nevermind he probably has his trash can laced with white lilies so no lid needed!

Most places have laws about refuse disposal, no one is "free to dispose of it as they wish"

There are many good reasons to keep trash contained. Plenty of other animals tear into trash bags. Dogs, fox, racoons.....people like tinman01 are one of the multitude of reasons I would never let my cats out. That was an old post, but people still do that kind of stuff.

There are sickos everywhere. As proven by the last line of the above post.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Most places have laws about refuse disposal, no one is "free to dispose of it as they wish"

There are many good reasons to keep trash contained. Plenty of other animals tear into trash bags. Dogs, fox, racoons.....people like tinman01 are one of the multitude of reasons I would never let my cats out. That was an old post, but people still do that kind of stuff.

There are sickos everywhere. As proven by the last line of the above post.

Glad you don't let your cats out. What annoys me about this forum...people letting their cats out & expecting people to march to their drum like I'll let my cat out but when you see my cat do A BCD but not XYZ. Aint nobody got time for that.

Cat owners who let their cats out are the reason tinman01 plant ish to get rid of your pets!

As for your ""list"" of animals to be contained, foxes and raccons are wild & dangerous animals so who cares? Dogs & cats should ideally be indoors or at least in a fenced environment so who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats