Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow cat lovers and experts,

I just got a call from a friend asking for help on their two cats whom are very close. I guess the story is that they are moving to a new home and have two small children. They basically don't want their kids to get into the litter box and they don't have a safe place to put it. They don't want it in their bedroom. They want to get rid of the two cats, and called me cause I'm involved with adoption events sometimes. And they don't want to seperate the two cats because they are close....Geez, people can have the sadiest reasons of getting rid of pets.

Anyways, that's all I know right now. I'll give more details when I receive his email. My question to you is how can I best handle this situation? I can't take them in for I have two cats already and have an already stressful living situation. I fear they will end up at the shelter and right now, LV shelters are overwelmed with cats. LIed Animal Shelter kills them after a certain number of days in the shelter. I know some people try Craigslist or Kijiji, but that scares me too. I don't know what to do.

In my opinion, they should have more control over their kids to be worried about something as silly as that. But, I've seen their kids running around, so it doesn't suprise me. Good grief! Such disposable thinking. It just breaks my heart that people can think like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
My cat box lives inside of a dog crate (to keep the dog from litter surfing, blech!). I am guessing it would also keep kids out.

I agree, that is a sorry excuse for giving up a pet.

You can always post on craigslist or freecycle, but I would want to do a home visit for any prospective new owner.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Default Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
In my opinion, they should have more control over their kids to be worried about something as silly as that. But, I've seen their kids running around, so it doesn't suprise me. Good grief! Such disposable thinking. It just breaks my heart that people can think like this.
I agree with you. Some people shouldn't reproduce.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I have a thought:

Offer to buy them a baby gate that has the cat door in it - this way they can section off a room for the cats' litter box, food, whatever.

Like this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

Or, maybe an automatic litter box??

I know it's a stretch, but I'd keep the conversation going with them. Tell them you're going to resolve this for them even if it means finding another home for the cats, but really you can keep coming up with solutions to their "problem" .

Sadly, once people come up with these ridiculous excuses, their minds are usually made up. There's always a chance they'll start to feel some guilt, some shame.......let's hope so.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I say get rid of the kids and keep the cats... seriously, pets vs. children - it's the same responsibility.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
riveree: Those are great ideas. I hope they catch on with those involved. I've never before heard of a problem with kids getting into litter boxes.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Can't they just tell their children to stay away from the litter box? Even a toddler knows what "No! Yukky!" means. They'll still need to watch them, but geez. You have to keep babies out of the toilet too. It's just part of raising them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 187,949 times
Such a poor excuse for getting rid of the cats. How about a covered litter box!!! The children would have a richer life being around animals. It would also teach them to appreciate the lovely furry creatures. This kind of decision-making makes me ill and angry.

In the absence of these people coming to their senses, is there an organization that offers foster care for animals? At least this would be a start towards re-homing them.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Hi everyone,
thanks for al your response. Riveree, I can't believe I didn't think about that one, though I have a feeling they won't like it..."another baby gate?" kind of excuse. In my concern, I went ahead and emailed them similar things to what some of you have suggested including a covered litterbox with a door. I also have discovered some awesome resources in my own search to hide my litterbox..litterbox furniture! Wow, there's some amazing pieces out there offered, though expensive, to allow your litterbox to be in the living room, etc. and not be an eyesore nor deal with the smell. Who'd a thunk?

I attached a ton of sites regarding solutions of litterboxes on the email. I also gave information, AT LAST RESORT, regarding our shelters in the valley and sanctuaries for help in adoptions. I even attached an article on surrendering pets and their stupid excuses.

I also gave them the sob story about the current rescue mission I have been involved with called Nye County Cat Rescue where Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is taking care of and getting adopted out over 800+ cats that were hoarded by the president of F.L.O.C.K. (don't ever donat to them). They found out that most of these cats were once house cats though they acted feral. Terrible situation but Best Friends came in to save the day; cleaned things up, took great care of them, and already adopted out over 400 so far to the public or othter rescues. Now, they are battling the severe health of the last few hundred. This all started in July of this year. My point of this story is to say how owners thought they were being humane in giving up their cats to this organization, but discovered that they were putting them in harms way.

I apologized if I made them upset, and said I was only looking out for everyone's best interest and educating them as best I could. Utimately, they are going to do what they are going to do.

I haven't heard back. Should I be worried?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Deegers, I'm sure you said it all with the greatest sincerity and care in the best way it could possibly have been done and now, just as you said, they're going to do what they're going to do.

I'd give them a few days to mull it over, fight with each other, feel like cads - whatever they have to do. Maybe check in with them after the weekend. This way if they're fighting with each other over it, you don't step in the middle and have them side up against you (and ultimately, the cats).

The best we can hope for is that the lines of communication are open and you can find the source of their resistance and work with it. Some of these people never even give you that chance though .

I agree with the above posters....kids getting into the litter box? I can see kids eating the cat food out of the bowl, but eating the cat food post-digestion out of the end of the cat?? What kind of kids are these??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats