U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM

175 posts, read 535,232 times

Advertisements

My first post in the cat forum.
2 1/12 months ago someone dropped off (we believe) a young cat at our property. She was very friendly, came running to me and jumped up in my arms. Our 2 large dogs tried to run her off but she prevailed. I called the township to see if anyone reported a kitten missing but no such luck. I am not able to bring her in the house because my husband is allergic to cats. So she is outside during the day and inside a heated pool house each night with her food and litter box. She seems happy. I took her to the vet and had her spayed and given all shots needed. The vet thought she was only about 6 months old and that was in Dec. She has now completely bonded with our 2 labs. Every morning she is at the window crying to go outside and each night she runs to the door to go in for the night. When she is outside during the day she has an insulated cat igloo to go into if it is raining or cold. This was working fine until last week. Perfect solution to a stray cat, right???

Here is the new problem - An older feral cat has taken over her igloo outside and will not allow her to come near it. I just found out from a neighbor that this feral cat has been around for about 2 years. We never saw him/her before apparently because our labs patrol our 3 acres and chase off anything that come near. This same cat constantly will fight with their young cat also, to the point that her ears and face are bloody. Their cat is also outside during the day but inside each night, she is also spayed. Is there anything I can do to discourage this feral cat to stop hanging around here?

I know this is long but if anyone can give me suggestions I would really appreciate it.
FYI - I am still trying to find her a home where she will be inside all the time but I have been unable to do so.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM

6,329 posts, read 5,963,376 times
See if there are any TNR groups in your area - groups that trap, neuter, and return/release ferals.

Or you could try a live trap yourself, then take the feral to get neutered and shots, etc. This hopefully will affect the aggressiveness of the feral. Or you could take the trapped feral to a shelter.

And/or put out a 2nd igloo.

Outdoor cats just do work out territorial issues by fighting. Could your first adoptee live inside the pool house all the time?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks 601 for your quick response! There are no TNR groups that will only work with one cat. They only deal with colonies.
I actually have our stray listed with a cat rescue to be adopted out. This group has her on a 6 to 8 week waiting list to be adopted through a local Pet Smart and she is already spayed! What is your opinion of that? I would love to have someone adopt her for an inside cat but if she is still going to be outside I want her to be my outside cat, since I feel like she "found" me.
Your suggestion of getting another igloo is the best one I have heard yet!!! Duh, why didn't I think of that? I guess I was afraid of cat fights but if they each have their own maybe it will work. Tonight it is supposed to snow here and get down to 8 degrees. Our cat is snug in the pool house and I have to admit that I hope the feral uses the igloo again tonight because of the temp. I feel bad, our cat is fine, our dogs are in the house in bed and this poor thing is outside in this freezing weather. But I still really want it to go away and be someone else's problem. LOL

Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,168,663 times
The Pet Smart adoption avenue does seem like it works. Some rescue organizations use website postings and application procedures too. I've used both and the website one can take longer, however, I also thing the screening and your feedback is better on the website-type option. Same time, I really appreciate the way Pet Smart works with the adoption groups and efforts.

Also, not sure how big your area is, but usually TNR/rescue/adoption groups are aware of other groups too. Maybe another group as quicker options available.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM

43,012 posts, read 98,202,180 times
Why not take her inside in your house?

She's litter trained. She gets along with your dogs. She's friendly, not feral. You call her yours.

I can understand why you didn't at first, but it seems she has proven she'll be a perfect addition to your household.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Hopes - as I said in my post my husband is highly allergic to cats so taking her inside will never be an option. He has no problem with her sleeping in the pool house while it is closed up for the winter.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,770,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
S
Or you could try a live trap yourself, then take the feral to get neutered and shots, etc. This hopefully will affect the aggressiveness of the feral. Or you could take the trapped feral to a shelter.
ITA with renting or borrowing a live trap and trying to get him/her neutered. (You can find plenty of how-to-trap information by googling.) That will help a lot with the aggression and territory issues (not to mention spraying, yowling, etc.) A note--some shelters offer free or low-cost altering for ferals so it might be worth checking around. If you plan to use your regular vet, call ahead and ask if they will alter ferals. Some don't.

IMO I'd not bring the feral to a shelter. She/he will likely be euthanized.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:17 AM

9,918 posts, read 22,065,850 times
Quick solution for the moment might be a second shelter. (Don't put them right next to each other, you'll have to find another suitable place for one.) Or, if the kitten can stay in the pool house all day, that would be another option.

Going forward though you'll have to try to do something with the other cat. I would suggest attempting a TNR on your own, buy or borrow a trap and arrange to have an exam and surgery (assuming it wasn't already altered). That won't necessarily solve all your problems but if this cat is an unneutered tom you just might calm down some of the antics with that. That's not a very immediate thing though, although it could potentially be pretty quick if you go at it that way.

Obviously you hope the whole situation is temporary given the kitten might ultimately be adopted by someone else. But taking care of this with the older one outside is still a good idea even if the kitten is able to go to a cage at Petsmart in 6 weeks. And what if the 6 weeks becomes much longer, then you'll have this continuing to be an issue unless you make attempts to resolve.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I got another shelter and put it at the far end of our property under a lean-to at our barn. I haven't seen the cat but there are footprints in the snow all around it so I am pretty sure it is being used by the feral. So for now they are separated at night and each have their own shelter during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats