U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,202,048 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone has seen such a thing...........

I'm looking for one with a top opening BIG enough to put a sleeping cat through into the carrier. I have a couple of top loaders but the openings are way too small.

The idea is to schedule Lily's appointments during her nap time. She's such a sound sleeper, I can move her from room to room.......and she doesn't flinch.

On her last set of labs last week, her BG was up......so she's now on no/low carb wet food and reduced rations. Now we have to visit the vet every two weeks for two months.......and it's always a huge fight to get her in the carrier.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 PM

4,850 posts, read 12,746,687 times
Why not just upend one of the carriers you already have, lower the cat inside, and then slowly move it parallel to the floor? My felines, past and present, of course have never been pleased to be getting prepared for transport (let alone the trip.) It's far easier to do it that way than to battle guiding them inside at ground level and then managing to shut and secure the door. Quite likely there are carriers which function like a convertible car, but I don't see the point in making the extra purchase.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,326,900 times
Some of the pet strollers look pretty loading-friendly. Some are pricey, but this one is on sale at Pet Smart for $88.

I did have a regular medium-sized cat carrier with top-load and I liked it for an elder cat - just seemed easier to get her in/out.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why not just upend one of the carriers you already have, lower the cat inside, and then slowly move it parallel to the floor? My felines, past and present, of course have never been pleased to be getting prepared for transport (let alone the trip.) It's far easier to do it that way than to battle guiding them inside at ground level and then managing to shut and secure the door. Quite likely there are carriers which function like a convertible car, but I don't see the point in making the extra purchase.
I've tried that. The openings aren't big enough and she wakes up.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Some of the pet strollers look pretty loading-friendly. Some are pricey, but this one is on sale at Pet Smart for $88.

I did have a regular medium-sized cat carrier with top-load and I liked it for an elder cat - just seemed easier to get her in/out.

Ooo... a stroller. Now there's a thought. I'll check around town to see if any of the pet stores have them in stock. I'd need to figure out how to attach it to the seat belt in the car as well. It can't be too heavy as it has to go down and up a flight of stairs. I love the thought of wheels......especially with the size of my vet's parking lot.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Ooo... a stroller. Now there's a thought. I'll check around town to see if any of the pet stores have them in stock. I'd need to figure out how to attach it to the seat belt in the car as well. It can't be too heavy as it has to go down and up a flight of stairs. I love the thought of wheels......especially with the size of my vet's parking lot.

Thanks!
If your car seat moves up/back enough, it may sit nicely on car floor. Or, be short enough for seat/belt. Some are a bit pricey - but nice option instead of 'lugging' the carrier too.
Happy shopping!!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Here's the link where I saw it, with some specs too.
Pet Gear Travel Lite Pet Stroller - Summer PETssentials - Dog - PetSmart

Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,221,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I'm hoping someone has seen such a thing...........

I'm looking for one with a top opening BIG enough to put a sleeping cat through into the carrier. I have a couple of top loaders but the openings are way too small.

The idea is to schedule Lily's appointments during her nap time. She's such a sound sleeper, I can move her from room to room.......and she doesn't flinch.

On her last set of labs last week, her BG was up......so she's now on no/low carb wet food and reduced rations. Now we have to visit the vet every two weeks for two months.......and it's always a huge fight to get her in the carrier.

Thanks.

Here's another option - comes in two sizes, is wheeled, and also top loading. The straps and D-rings would allow you to secure it to your car seat belts, and it is easy to clean if necessary. Here's the link: The Ultimate Bag on Wheels |Pet Travel Bags at DrsFosterSmith.com
Hope your baby girl gets better - I know how frustrating and upsetting this is for all of you. Good luck!!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,129,376 times
I have firsthand knowledge of this unit:

Amazon.com: Catit Design Cabrio Multi-Functional Carrier System, Gray: Pet Supplies

Pros:

-Hard plastic (I find this better then soft carrier and should be advantage if putting in sleeping cat)
-Very large side door opening
-Very large top opening
-Can feed (or pet usually) cat without opening door
-Works pretty well with seat belt through top handle

Cons:

-Flat packed so requires assembly which is a teeny bit tricky
-Top opening not suitable for closing in a cat who moves quickly to escape, a bit touchy to get closed
-Not suitable for air cargo

I took a chance on this, have never seen in a store. All in all I am happy. It's fairly large, we transported our two little 6-7lb cats together in there. Because of the flat pack and assembly it is maybe a little less sturdy than some. It's not unsafe at all IMO for trips to vet, but that is why it's not suitable for air cargo. The top opens wide split longways down the middle with hinges halfway down the long sides (hard to explain and never found a pic of it open I don't think, maybe I can go take one), and the closing is slightly fussy in order to have it reasonably secure once closed. In our case we loaded through the side door and unloaded from the top at the vet. But loading a sleeping cat via the top should be a cinch.

Might be worth a try. Hope things get better with your kitty.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,129,376 times
Here this might give you a better idea. The clear plastic at bottom of pic is the "front door" so to speak. The angle of this makes the carrier look abnormally short in the long dimension but it isn't really, especially because that clear door bubbles out so far.
Attached Thumbnails
New Cat Carrier????-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats